LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Driver side mirror not moving up & down!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-10, 09:20 PM
durian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver side mirror not moving up & down!!

Hi, I have a 2006 LS430. The driver side mirror does not move up and down, but it does move left & right. The passenger side mirror works ok.
I heard this is a really common problem. I went to the dealer and they said I need to replace the entire mirror housing, including the outside enclosure. It will cost about $700+.
I put my ear on the enclosure when pressing the mirror button and I don't hear any sound from the inside when pressing up & down.
Does it sound like a motor problem or a switch connector issue?
I actually took the switch apart and cleaned the contacts. It looked pretty clean to begin with. Do the switch contacts need conductive grease? I am afraid of putting conductive grease on the contacts in the switch for fear of shorting things out. Please help!
Old 09-25-10, 09:57 PM
durian
Driver School Candidate

By the way, when I press the up & down switch on the driver side, I do hear a click from from somewhere inside the door. Also when I put my car into reverse, the driver side mirror does NOT tilt down. The passenger side does tilt down.
Old 09-26-10, 01:33 AM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm... the "common problem" related to this IS the switch itself, and it appears you have already taken it apart to clean it, which is precisely what is advised here. I think the fact that you are hearing a sound in the door area directly correlating to the button pushes on the switch rules out the switch for the most part, especially since it works on the pass. side just fine (IF the switch were the culprit, it would be the actual L and R selector that would be suspect here, as the 4 way push button works the pass. side without issue). The next common mirror issue is the mirrors pointing straight down to the ground and that's not what we have here either.

While I am not entirely certain exactly what is going on, that should help rule out some of the more common failure points. As for the grease, it shouldn't cause any harm, but since there's so much evidence against the switch itself, I don't think it matters either way.
Old 09-26-10, 04:59 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My driver's mirror was acting up a bit yesterday. It was pointing a bit down for some reason (I don't have the backup tilt activated). I couldn't get it to move up or down. However, once I moved it back and forth horizontally a bit, the vertical adjustment started working OK.
Old 09-27-10, 11:29 AM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the exact same problem with mine only that it is the pass side that is giving me the trouble. There seems to be a loose connection somewhere between the door and mirror when it comes to up and down motions. Gonna have to get to the bottom of this real soon because im getting tired of it tilting in reverse but wont return to the original position when put in drive.
Old 09-27-10, 11:32 AM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
I have the exact same problem with mine only that it is the pass side that is giving me the trouble. There seems to be a loose connection somewhere between the door and mirror when it comes to up and down motions. Gonna have to get to the bottom of this real soon because im getting tired of it tilting in reverse but wont return to the original position when put in drive.
Turn off the auto mirror tilt down in the mean-time?
Old 09-27-10, 12:29 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like i will have to. That feature is just so handy!!!
Old 09-27-10, 04:28 PM
durian
Driver School Candidate

Default clicking sound with pressing the mirror switch

Strange thing is that I hear a clicking sound coming from somewhere within the driver door when I press the mirror switch to move the mirror up & down. Anyone knows what is causing the sound? I am sure the sound is not coming from the switch itself, which does also makes a slight clicking sound when depressed.
Old 09-28-10, 12:08 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by durian
Strange thing is that I hear a clicking sound coming from somewhere within the driver door when I press the mirror switch to move the mirror up & down. Anyone knows what is causing the sound? I am sure the sound is not coming from the switch itself, which does also makes a slight clicking sound when depressed.
Most likely its the relays you hear clicking that the switch is controling. This is one of the reasons why im sorta ruling out the switch as the culprit. If the switch was faulty then the relays wouldnt be getting power to even "click". I believe its a connection problem between the relay and mirror. I will take some time this weekend to really look into this annoying problem.
Old 09-28-10, 01:23 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

I agree, those sound like relays.
Old 12-06-10, 09:39 PM
durian
Driver School Candidate

If it is a connection problem between the relay and the motors in the mirror, how should I fix it? I saw someone else post an interesting post detailing how to take off the mirror and get behind to the motors. Has anyone tried it? Could the up/down motors be bad?
Old 12-07-10, 05:31 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

If you do have Lexus replace your entire mirror be sure to ask for the old mirror back. It would probably be an interesting and relatively easy project to take it apart and fix whatever is wrong and then your have a spare. I had Lexus replace mine under warranty about 2 months ago but I wasn't clever enough to ask them for the old one back..wish I had.
Old 12-07-10, 04:55 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
If you do have Lexus replace your entire mirror be sure to ask for the old mirror back. It would probably be an interesting and relatively easy project to take it apart and fix whatever is wrong and then your have a spare. I had Lexus replace mine under warranty about 2 months ago but I wasn't clever enough to ask them for the old one back..wish I had.
I don't think they could have given it back to you. Lexus requires proof of warranty repairs before they will reimburse the dealer. I think, but don't know for sure, that they have to return the warranted parts.
Old 12-08-10, 05:10 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Jay - good point, you may be right for CPO warranty work. But if someone pays to replace a mirror assembly it would be a good idea to ask for the old one back. At a minimum they could sell it on ebay.
Old 12-09-10, 07:32 AM
durian
Driver School Candidate

Red face

Does anyone know the page where it shows how to properly take the mirror apart to replace the motors in it?

Quick Reply: Driver side mirror not moving up & down!!