Print Wikipost

Front Brake Service cost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-10, 01:34 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front Brake Service cost?

I was just quoted a price of $435.00 parts and labor to R&R the front brake pads and resurface the rotors on my 2004 LS430 while it was having transmission maintenance done.

I was told that it is pricey on this car because "the caliper bolts have to be replaced". Can someone give me some guidance on a fair price to pay for this. If that's what it costs than that's what it costs, but it seems a little high.
Old 09-13-10, 01:54 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Ok, in case anyone searches for this in the future I just answered my own question. Called up an independent but still higher end shop that only focuses on Toyota, Lexus and Scion and got a quote of 220 for the front pads. While I'm certain I could still do better buying my own parts, and taking them somewhere, I am far more comfortable with 220 than 435... that is just absurd.

You really have to be on your toes with these dealer service departments, because SOME of the services they offer may not only be competitive, but cheaper or on par with independents or Toyota dealers given the level service you receive... the transmission service for example made more sense to do at the dealership with a free loaner car, than trudging around town with Toyota WS fluid and finding an independent, or paying an independent almost as much who uses the WS fluid. Yet on the flip side of the coin, this brake service is outrageous.

Likewise I am not sure I would want anyone else touching my transmission, while brakes seem a little more straight-forward.

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 09-13-10 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-13-10, 02:24 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as they use OEM stuff it should be fine. I did hear that there are some weird clips or w/e in these cars. Idk, $435 to resurface (not replace) the rotors is just insane...this is why I always brake gently I thought I had an ok amt set aside for maintenance costs, but at that rate I will be living in a box soon.
Old 09-13-10, 02:26 PM
beneteau
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With a little mechanical ability and a small amount of tools, disc brakes on the LS, as with any disc brake, are pretty much a simple chore. You can purchase the caliper bolts from the dealer, if you desire to remove and turn the rotors. The Gateway Tire shop, about 2 miles from my house, will turn rotors for $12.50 each. There are detailed (with pictures) instructions on replacing brake pads on this forum----top of the page (sticky). I changed front disc brakes (to ceramic) and turned rotors on the front of my Tundra recently and my total was about $90.00.

Also, I take the wife's LS to a local Toyota dealer for all service except warranty work. Lexus dealer quoted $1,500 for the 60k mile service. Toyota dealer charged $500 which included injector cleaning----that wasn't included in the quote from Lexus.
Old 09-13-10, 02:43 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by beneteau
Also, I take the wife's LS to a local Toyota dealer for all service except warranty work. Lexus dealer quoted $1,500 for the 60k mile service. Toyota dealer charged $500 which included injector cleaning----that wasn't included in the quote from Lexus.
Here's the sweet irony to this... Not only was one Toyota dealer dead nuts even with the Lexus shop on the Transmission flush with the WS fluid... The other Toyota dealer closer to my house was $15.00 more! That one left me scratching my head, especially since Toyota doesn't (to my knowledge) give me a loaner or wash my car for free.

In general, you are absolutely correct about taking the car there.

CarGuy... he did mention that they use OEM Toyota parts unless I direct them to do differently.
Old 09-13-10, 03:31 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

If your rotors are nice and smooth just replace pads. Very likely no need to turn rotor unless it is significant scored. Take a look at the pictorial on front pad replacement in the FAQ section. You don't have to dismount the caliper. The hardest part is jacking it up and removing the tires.
Old 09-13-10, 06:44 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
If your rotors are nice and smooth just replace pads. Very likely no need to turn rotor unless it is significant scored. Take a look at the pictorial on front pad replacement in the FAQ section. You don't have to dismount the caliper. The hardest part is jacking it up and removing the tires.
Thanks Jabber. I took a look at it and not only does it say not to resurface rotors if un-necessary, but it mentions that doing so when not needed reduces your effective surface area even more, leading to premature warping down the line.
Old 09-14-10, 08:26 AM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't want to machine discs any more often than absolutely necessary as you drastically shorten their life and reduce your pedal feel and overall system efficiency. All rotors have a minimum thickness dimension and once they reach that,they're scrap. Most people only get 2-3 skims at best out of a pair of rotors before they're too thin to re-use.

Unless you're using a quite aggressive compound in the pads,it's unlikely that they'll be scored badly enough with normal driving to need machining. If you have shudder in the pedal or through the steering under brakes I'd advise that you get them skimmed,but otherwise,leave them alone and just fit a set of pads.

Justin...
Old 09-14-10, 10:51 AM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Changing the pads on these cars is just a piece of cake and you can re-use all the parts. I did all my 4 wheels in 3 hours.. All I paid for was the pads which came out to about 100$
Old 09-14-10, 01:51 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

I had Lexus remove and replace both front rotors for $431CAD pre-tax ($532 after tax). This includes the cost of new OEM rotors and labor.

I changed the pads myself a few months prior. OEM pads can be found for a decent price at parts.com, Pembroke Pines Lexus, irontoad, Carson, Sewell, etc.

I would resurface rotors only if someone actually measured the rotor for run-out and thickness (and not just saying they did), and only if the price is right. If it costs too much to resurface, save your money and put it towards new rotors later.

Once the rotor thickness variation gets too bad, machining would take off too much material to make them even, so you would have to get new rotors.

Also, Toyota/Lexus documentation states that an on-car lathe should be used to machine the rotors, but many service places do not have one. Might be worthwhile to look into it.
Old 09-14-10, 02:03 PM
m3nv
Pole Position

The front brakes on LS430s are really easy to do yourself. There is a DIY on the forums somewhere. From what I remember, you dont have to fully remove the caliper.
Old 09-14-10, 07:40 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To just replace the pads, you don't have to touch the caliper at all. You literally remove a cotter pin, remove the pin holding the pads in place. Remove the pad, replace pads, put pin back, put cotter pin back, you're done. The caliper bolt only needs replacing if you've removed them to remove the caliper.
Old 09-15-10, 03:26 AM
vollandt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
To just replace the pads, you don't have to touch the caliper at all. You literally remove a cotter pin, remove the pin holding the pads in place. Remove the pad, replace pads, put pin back, put cotter pin back, you're done. The caliper bolt only needs replacing if you've removed them to remove the caliper.
Yep, I had a local gas station change my front pads. I supplied the pads, they charged me 25 for labor. It took the guy 15 minutes, if that.
OEM pads list for 75 from the stealer and go for ~60 on line. I went with after market pad that I feel is as good or better than oem and happens to cost less than half the oem price. My all in cost came to about 60. So far so good. No squeaks.
Old 03-10-11, 07:11 AM
parkjhmd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pohanka Lexus in Northern VA just quoted me $520 per axle to replace the pads, resurface the rotors (they said it was "required" with every pad replacement), and replace the caliper bolt. So, $1040 total for front and rears! Seems very high!
Old 03-10-11, 08:04 AM
LucidSnow
Rookie

lol are they stripping the caliper bolts? why they always requesting to replace it. dealerships are not being fair and honest. " required " can only be a term used when in warranty. afterwards its a choice. or go to toyota dealership labor shuld be cheaper.

Quick Reply: Front Brake Service cost?