LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Navigation screen blank

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-10, 09:12 PM
melnick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation screen blank

A number of threads here on navigation screen going blank but I haven't been able to discover anybody with the cause and solution. In my case I was jumping the battery of my 2005 LS430 and momentarily crossed the cables and got a spark. Car was then jump started and everything works except for the Navigation screen and associated items - radio, CD, air conditioning. I checked the navigation system fuse and it was OK. Anybody solved this problem????
Old 09-01-10, 11:14 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what the solution is, but man I have heard it is a TERRIBLE idea to "jump" these cars in the traditional sense. Not only for the risk of causing an arc, but because it sends a serious jolt through the entire system of the car.

On the same token, whenever anyone offers up this concern, I always have to wonder what magical way they expect you to start your car when your battery dies and you're stranded. There ARE portable chargers you can plug into the cigarette lighter that will supposedly start the car without harming the electronics, but I have doubts about their effectiveness.
Old 09-02-10, 07:51 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

At least on my LX, there's a very large fuse pack that precedes the standard fusebox. That fusepack controls the power to everything in the fuse box downstream handles thousands of amps for cases such as shorting the battery.
Old 09-02-10, 08:53 AM
melnick
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
At least on my LX, there's a very large fuse pack that precedes the standard fusebox. That fusepack controls the power to everything in the fuse box downstream handles thousands of amps for cases such as shorting the battery.
Where is this located and what is it called?
Old 09-02-10, 10:18 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Jim is talking about the large fuse panels under the hood in the engine bay.
Old 09-02-10, 09:25 PM
melnick
Driver School Candidate

Huzah, Huzah!!!! My wife took the car into the Lexus dealer and the service manager opened the fuse box under the hood and replaced one of the fuses with the spare in the box. Don't know which fuse was replaced but voila - the navigation system now works. Cost to fix - $0.00. I have a new respect for the service department at Newport Beach Lexus.
Old 09-04-10, 05:43 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by melnick
Huzah, Huzah!!!! My wife took the car into the Lexus dealer and the service manager opened the fuse box under the hood and replaced one of the fuses with the spare in the box. Don't know which fuse was replaced but voila - the navigation system now works. Cost to fix - $0.00. I have a new respect for the service department at Newport Beach Lexus.
Thank God for Fuses! Potentially it could have been a $4,000+ fix!
The following users liked this post:
gracien69 (08-01-21)
Old 11-22-18, 01:50 PM
PGeezyMP
Driver School Candidate

Default Navigation out

Originally Posted by melnick

did you ever find out what fuse it was? I have the same problem and same situation from jumping my car.
Old 07-05-20, 04:16 AM
blackboooy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi everyone from KZ. Sorry for mistakes, english is foreign for me. After removing the battery (was unplugged about 3-4 hours) my nav screen became black. Radio, Bluetooth, USB, everything works fine, excludes screen. I think it happens because i start the car incorrect way after battery connecting. After any unplug of the battery you SHOULD make first start without leg on brake pedal. Just push start button once, wait untill all systems restart, then start the engine.

I tried the method swtjen101 talks about. In my case it doesn't help after 1.5 hour battery disconnecting.
These actions help me to fix this damn black nav screen:
1. Leave car whole night without battery, unplug + and - terminals (i think long time disconnecting is main reason that helps me)
2. Clean both terminals with sandpaper
3. Plug in my USB flash drive back (don't know why, but i did this, because this flash drive was in car whole the time xD)
4. Unplug USB charger from my cigarette lighter
5. Push Start Button once, without Brake pedal. AND FINALLY SCREEN STARTS! (in my case i don't need push PWR\VLM button on radio, screen starts itself after couple seconds)

You can skip 2,3,4 steps. I am thinking that main is disconnecting the battery for long time.
Works on Lexus IS 250, 3rd gen, November 2013 without GPS Navi.
Big thanks for swtjen101! You save all of us!