RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Problem with Navigation system as well as Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-09, 11:59 AM
vishka
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with Navigation system as well as Bluetooth

Last week i couldn't get my car started and called AAA TO get me rolling again. I was told that my battery was shot and that i needed to get a new one which he installed.
Right after that i had different geographical points, e.g. showing up on my display but nothing even nearly close to me. (CA)
I tried to reset the unit but the only thing that came up was " Insert correct map disc", and i am also unable to get back to the reset screen, the destination screen or any other navigation screen.
I brought the car to a local LEXUS dealership and the mechanic over there told me that , when the battery was changed, it blew the hard drive and it would cost around $ 1000. to replace it.
My question is...why would changing the battery fry the hard drive, how do i get the navigation system working again and why is it asking me for a correct map disc as the disc was never changed, or even touched, since i bought the car brand new.
Also, how would you handle this situation, since the car is only 2.5 years old and has less than 70.000 miles on it. I was told that my warranty expired but i was really unhappy the way i was treated at the dealership and believe that their customer service should be a little better and more curteous when it comes to problems like this.
Have any of you had similar experiences and what did it take to get it fixed ?
I greatly appreciate any input.
Sincerely,
Vishka
Old 02-23-09, 12:13 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

If you can't get into the navi screens now, I suggest ejecting the nav dvd, pulling the fuse for the navi or disconnecting the battery for an hour or so. Power it back up and insert the dvd and see if it reboots. I suppose anything is possible but the harddrive diagnosis you got at the dealer seems a little severe. I would wonder if it's a guess. I don't know.

If you can get back to where you werer able to see diff geographical points showing up that aren't near you then it may be set to the wrong region. The entire US is on 1 dvd but the system only looks at part of the map at any one time. Go in via the menu and check and see which region is pointing to. Be sure it's set on your area. It may be a long shot but worth trying before spending $1000.
Old 01-27-16, 12:01 PM
rwh
Driver School Candidate

Vishka: I have the same problem on my 2005 RX330 after cleaning the battery terminals. The dealer was no help and wanted me to change the entire NAV system for $1900. I have removed nav unit and drained a small battery and also disconnected a ribbon connector as suggested by other forums, but still have not found any solution. rwh