LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

04 LS430 driverside Side Mirror repair?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-10, 12:28 PM
dkang76
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 LS430 driverside Side Mirror repair?

Hi my side mirror is acting up. sometimes it turns then stops, other times it doesnt work at all. has anyone had experience in repairing this?
was wonderin how much to expect for estimate.

BTW if the alloy paint on your 18" wheel is chipped 1" then can this be patched up by touchup paint?
Old 03-31-10, 12:38 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I've had success adding some lubricant to the outside mirror. Spray between parts, in the crack between the parts that move. Sounds crude ... sorry, but give that a try.
Old 03-31-10, 02:26 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dkang76
Hi my side mirror is acting up. sometimes it turns then stops, other times it doesnt work at all. has anyone had experience in repairing this?

In my case, and I know this is hard to believe, the cause was my battery needing replacement. The mirrors acted crazy every day - sometimes working, sometimes not. I replaced the battery and have never had a problem again.

Walt
Old 03-31-10, 04:10 PM
tam4G63
Driver

Originally Posted by dkang76
was wonderin how much to expect for estimate.

BTW if the alloy paint on your 18" wheel is chipped 1" then can this be patched up by touchup paint?
Mirror is about $740 and comes pre painted from the factory.

Wheel - you can get it recondition - cost about $200
Old 03-31-10, 05:25 PM
wildace
Pole Position

when it got really cold this december they stopped working on me also. when it got nicer out they started working. today went to wash the car and when i set them to close only the passenger would close and drive got stuck half way. im going to have to try that lube trick soon
Old 11-10-15, 06:27 PM
Stoker96
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Side Mirrror Flops - Repair

I spent $495 for a new driverside mirror for my 2001 Ls430 because the Dealer said it couldn be repaired. So I installed a completely new assembly. Its a job. I put the old unit on the shelf and didn't think too much about it...UNTIL the passenger side had the same failure. Not looking to pay out another $500, I went and opened up the old unit and after taking the thing apart...it is easy i found the problem. It is a keeper ring in the motor mechanism that slides up on off a spring loaded shaft.
For the cost of this unit , don't you think Lexus could have designed it with a set screw.
Anyway here is the process:

1.Remove the mirror- lift up slowly and out with equal pressure across the bottom until it snaps up (may not snp if original mastic is still in place. Don't rush it.. Unplug the two mirrow wires

2, Remover the 4 scerws that hold the bezel and the bezel.

3. Unscrew the center screw of the mirror bracket. and press in the 3 pins that anchor it to its bracket.

4. Compress th 4 clips that hold the back side of the mirror housing.

5. Remove the 6 screw 3 on eachside of the retainer that: surrounds the motor.. Then lift up the plasitic cover from the motor. The unit inside pulls up- There is a keeper ring on top of a spring that the wiring harness come through.

6. Reset the keeper ring by pushing it down on the shaft until it realigns with the grove on the shaft. I used pliers to recompress the keeper ring so it would hold better.

7. Make sure that the unit moves. It should take some pressure to move it.

8. Reassemble. About an hour or less. Very easy job. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/images/smilies/pat.gif

I wish someone had posted this...I am still upset about the $495.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stoker96:
BradT (11-10-23), DeepLS430 (09-06-21)
Old 11-11-15, 09:34 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks for posting. I've seen DIYs for this simple repair of the spring steel retainer nut on YouTube.
Old 11-12-15, 02:11 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoker96
I spent $495 for a new driverside mirror for my 2001 Ls430 because the Dealer said it couldn be repaired. So I installed a completely new assembly. Its a job. I put the old unit on the shelf and didn't think too much about it...UNTIL the passenger side had the same failure. Not looking to pay out another $500, I went and opened up the old unit and after taking the thing apart...it is easy i found the problem. It is a keeper ring in the motor mechanism that slides up on off a spring loaded shaft.
For the cost of this unit , don't you think Lexus could have designed it with a set screw.
Anyway here is the process:

1.Remove the mirror- lift up slowly and out with equal pressure across the bottom until it snaps up (may not snp if original mastic is still in place. Don't rush it.. Unplug the two mirrow wires

2, Remover the 4 scerws that hold the bezel and the bezel.

3. Unscrew the center screw of the mirror bracket. and press in the 3 pins that anchor it to its bracket.

4. Compress th 4 clips that hold the back side of the mirror housing.

5. Remove the 6 screw 3 on eachside of the retainer that: surrounds the motor.. Then lift up the plasitic cover from the motor. The unit inside pulls up- There is a keeper ring on top of a spring that the wiring harness come through.

6. Reset the keeper ring by pushing it down on the shaft until it realigns with the grove on the shaft. I used pliers to recompress the keeper ring so it would hold better.

7. Make sure that the unit moves. It should take some pressure to move it.

8. Reassemble. About an hour or less. Very easy job. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/images/smilies/pat.gif

I wish someone had posted this...I am still upset about the $495.

I am looking to replace my driver mirror. Can you elaborate on what went into the replacement?
Old 11-12-15, 04:14 PM
Stoker96
Driver School Candidate

Default replacing the driverside mirror

If you are removing the entire unit, you will need to take the door panel off and unplug it from it's computer module, un-clip the harness and unscrew the 3 screws.
If only the mirror itself, push in the top of the mirror so you can get your fingers under the bottom of the mirror to apply even pressure out and up, It has clips at the bottom and top keepers are slid ins. So once it is loose from the bottom, pull out and down. Then remove the heater wires.
Old 11-12-15, 09:34 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

If you are removing the entire unit, you will need to take the door panel off and unplug it from it's computer module, un-clip the harness and unscrew the 3 screws.
If only the mirror itself, push in the top of the mirror so you can get your fingers under the bottom of the mirror to apply even pressure out and up, It has clips at the bottom and top keepers are slid ins. So once it is loose from the bottom, pull out and down. Then remove the heater wires.
Yes it will be the whole assembly. Any tips on the door panel removal?
Old 11-13-15, 08:48 AM
Stoker96
Driver School Candidate

Default Mirror removal

The door panel is a pain...remove the screws at the bottom of the panel. The screws in the arm rest and after removing the window control, (I seem to remember a screw behind it). Then pop out the plastic cover in the door handle and remove that screw. and lastly the screw in the air duct. Gently lift up the panel as there are control wires. This should allow you the gain access to the mirror harness.

Question: why do you have to remove and replace the mirror? I should have asked this.
Old 11-13-15, 08:56 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

The door panel is a pain...remove the screws at the bottom of the panel. The screws in the arm rest and after removing the window control, (I seem to remember a screw behind it). Then pop out the plastic cover in the door handle and remove that screw. and lastly the screw in the air duct. Gently lift up the panel as there are control wires.
Before lifting up, gently pull out the lower half of the door panel disengaging the plastic snaps holding the lower panel to the door frame.
Old 11-13-15, 12:35 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

The door panel is a pain...remove the screws at the bottom of the panel. The screws in the arm rest and after removing the window control, (I seem to remember a screw behind it). Then pop out the plastic cover in the door handle and remove that screw. and lastly the screw in the air duct. Gently lift up the panel as there are control wires. This should allow you the gain access to the mirror harness.

Question: why do you have to remove and replace the mirror? I should have asked this.

The motors that control the tilt mirror function have died as they dont work manually or when the car is put in reverse/drive etc. I did the switch cleaning and lubricating inside mirror but nothing worked. Ive seen how to take apart the whole mirror to replace the motors but thought buying a new mirror assembly would be easier to install.
Old 12-05-15, 04:14 PM
kimsey
Driver School Candidate

Is there a fuse that stop the side view mirrors from turning inwards and outwards. I'll rather it stay in place.
Old 12-05-15, 04:20 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kimsey
Is there a fuse that stop the side view mirrors from turning inwards and outwards. I'll rather it stay in place.
Rocker switch on left side of wheel on dash can be set to keep mirrors folded out.

Quick Reply: 04 LS430 driverside Side Mirror repair?