04 LS430 driverside Side Mirror repair?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-15, 02:49 PM
Stoker96
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Mirror tilt switch

Originally Posted by bmore430
The motors that control the tilt mirror function have died as they dont work manually or when the car is put in reverse/drive etc. I did the switch cleaning and lubricating inside mirror but nothing worked. Ive seen how to take apart the whole mirror to replace the motors but thought buying a new mirror assembly would be easier to install.
Mine had the same problem. You might try popping the mirror position switch assembly out, disengage its harness and clean the the contacts and the body with electrical contact cleaner spray. It worked for me.
Old 12-11-15, 07:20 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoker96
Mine had the same problem. You might try popping the mirror position switch assembly out, disengage its harness and clean the the contacts and the body with electrical contact cleaner spray. It worked for me.
Already tried this with no success. I received my brand new mirror assembly today and hoping to install this weekend. I sent you a Private message. I understand how to take off door panel and trim. Does any adjustment or programming need to be done so the new mirror folds and operates properly?
Old 12-11-15, 08:03 PM
Stoker96
Driver School Candidate

Nope. No programming. You can plug it in before you install and test it.
Old 12-12-15, 05:55 AM
lexman52
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Problem is these days Dealers don't fix anything anymore they just replace parts. Thats why $100.00 jobs cost $800.00 or more when u walk in.
Old 12-12-15, 06:03 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexman52
Problem is these days Dealers don't fix anything anymore they just replace parts. Thats why $100.00 jobs cost $800.00 or more when u walk in.
I bought the complete mirror assembly in my factory paint code brand new in box from Toyota for 299 shipped. I didn't think that was too bad so if this mirror lasts 11 years with no issues like the factory one I'll be happy. The part is normally like 600.00 so I jumped on the deal.
Old 12-12-15, 08:19 AM
Stoker96
Driver School Candidate

That was a great deal, especially if it included the mirror.
Old 12-12-15, 12:35 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

yes it was complete with the housing, glass, electronics etc brand new in box. i thought it was a good deal.
Old 12-12-15, 01:10 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by bmore430
yes it was complete with the housing, glass, electronics etc brand new in box. i thought it was a good deal.
This is a very straight-forward DIY. Three bolts hold the mirror assembly to the door frame. Plug n' play wire harness.
Old 12-13-15, 10:35 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tom57
This is a very straight-forward DIY. Three bolts hold the mirror assembly to the door frame. Plug n' play wire harness.
Did the install today. Took about an hour taking my time. Door panel and trim removal to get to the bolts and mirror harness were most of the job. Only tools needed are 10mm socket and Phillips screwdrivers. It helps to have a box or stand to support the door panel once it's removed since there are still cables and such holding it to the car.
Old 04-14-16, 11:05 AM
Oldguys
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Mirror Supplier

Where did you buy the mirror assembly for $300. I need to replace both of my mirrors. Motors are bad and the glass has become stained.
The following users liked this post:
JosefR (06-22-21)
Old 07-10-16, 01:29 AM
bigun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1.Remove the mirror- lift up slowly and out with equal pressure across the bottom until it snaps up (may not snp if original mastic is still in place. Don't rush it.. Unplug the two mirror wires.
thanks Stoker96 for the disassembly instructions. I just replaced the rear plastic and front plastic bezel from my passenger side mirror ('06 LS430). The parts cost around $100 and come painted to match the factory colors. The most confusing part of the process was unplugging the mirror heater wires. It looks like they should pull out from the side, but in fact they are more like plugs, so you pry them up from the underneath.

I also had some difficulty getting the puddle lamp inserted after snapping the front mirror bezel and back plastic cover together. I inserted the side closest the window and engine first, then used a plastic pry tool to create a little space, and forced it upward so snap it in.

Finally, I had some difficulty snapping the bottom part of the mirror in. I had to use quite a bit of force and was worried about breaking the mirror. I saw a video where someone marked the front of the mirror with blue tape in the spots where the snap ins are. Probably a good idea.
Old 07-30-19, 11:13 AM
Bulls430
Driver School Candidate

I spent $495 for a new driverside mirror for my 2001 Ls430 because the Dealer said it couldn be repaired. So I installed a completely new assembly. Its a job. I put the old unit on the shelf and didn't think too much about it...UNTIL the passenger side had the same failure. Not looking to pay out another $500, I went and opened up the old unit and after taking the thing apart...it is easy i found the problem. It is a keeper ring in the motor mechanism that slides up on off a spring loaded shaft.
For the cost of this unit , don't you think Lexus could have designed it with a set screw.
Anyway here is the process:

1.Remove the mirror- lift up slowly and out with equal pressure across the bottom until it snaps up (may not snp if original mastic is still in place. Don't rush it.. Unplug the two mirrow wires

2, Remover the 4 scerws that hold the bezel and the bezel.

3. Unscrew the center screw of the mirror bracket. and press in the 3 pins that anchor it to its bracket.

4. Compress th 4 clips that hold the back side of the mirror housing.

5. Remove the 6 screw 3 on eachside of the retainer that: surrounds the motor.. Then lift up the plasitic cover from the motor. The unit inside pulls up- There is a keeper ring on top of a spring that the wiring harness come through.

6. Reset the keeper ring by pushing it down on the shaft until it realigns with the grove on the shaft. I used pliers to recompress the keeper ring so it would hold better.

7. Make sure that the unit moves. It should take some pressure to move it.

8. Reassemble. About an hour or less. Very easy job. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/images/smilies/pat.gif

I wish someone had posted this...I am still upset about the $495.
This is pretty old, but do you remember if its possible to take the motor out completely? I'm thinking of transplanting the motor from another mirror into mine.
Old 07-31-19, 03:44 PM
VWTim
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bulls430
This is pretty old, but do you remember if its possible to take the motor out completely? I'm thinking of transplanting the motor from another mirror into mine.
It is possible. I was having issues with the "gearbox/ramp spring" assembly slipping on my driver side mirror. I replaced the motor/gearbox with one from a slightly newer car, still using the same part number. I did have to de-pin and repin the wiring harness, but that ended up being easy.
Old 06-25-20, 03:48 PM
redmancge
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Bulls430
Stoker96 thanks so much for your very informative and detailed write up on how to fix this floppy mirror syndrome. My wife came in the other day and informed me the mirror was just flopping around loose and not staying in position.....just flopped forward, backward and would lift up and down about an inch or so. I decided to pop mirror out and see what was going on and couldn't see anything wrong at that point except there was a plastic housing over the motor and no idea where to start then looked up here on CL and found your post.
1.) Followed everything to a tee and it was a little tricky maneuvering wires around to remove the black metal frame up and off from around the plastic motorhousing.
2.) Made sure to note which wired went back in which position on the mirror and tilt housing (so many wires for just a mirror).
3.) I took a large pair of vise clamps and opened enough to slide down the shaft where the spring and keeper ring needed to be collapsed and stood them up on end over the keeper ring to push it down over the spring. When I couldn't get the ring to collapse far enough down to make the keeper stay down I had my wife there to hammer down on the round vise grip adjuster screw on top which was the extra force I needed to get it to stay. She's a real trooper. Put it all back together and knock on wood everything working again. So grateful for all the CL members and there excellent writeups so I wanted to add my experience on doing this job. Several times I wanted to give up but I DID IT. Yay big dinner out for saving those big bucks.
Old 06-30-20, 03:49 PM
Stevequad
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I fixed mine today. The spring keeper on the left mirror kept slipping, so the mirror would travel all the way to the front, aboot 180 degrees from parked. I tried to put a double split coupling on it, but the cover would not go back on. So, I got the keeper/washer down a good bit, then drilled a 1/8 hole in the tube, and put a roll pin in there. Works like new.

Quick Reply: 04 LS430 driverside Side Mirror repair?