LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

buying a 05 ls430 without warranty thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-19, 07:50 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Lexus inspection

I had my selling dealer bring my recently purchased LS to the Lexus dealer for an inspection.
The service adviser was great. I let him know I was purchasing the car long distance and he was really helpful. He stated it was the kind of car he would buy.

Extended warranties? They do not often pay off. Run don't walk away from the 3rd party extended warranties. Total ripoff!! There will always be a reason they do not cover a repair. I've been around awhile, I'm not a kid anymore. I rarely buy an extended warranty. I'm also a straight commission sales guy. The dealer sales reps typically get a crazy big commission for selling that extended warranty. That is a good indication that the warranty will not be a good thing for the buyer. Simple economics.

I will admit I purchased an extended warranty on my diesel motor coach. That one more than paid off. I had many thousands in repairs on the coach. I mean like 3-4 times what I paid for the warranty. These big coaches are expensive to buy and expensive to fix. My warranty company was OK up until the last couple months of the coverage. Dealer said I needed an entire new power hydraulic jack system. The electronic controller had failed and manufacturer is out of business. The estimate was 6 K for the fix. The extended warranty company refused to provide coverage and told me to sue them if I did not like it. True story. They were the ones that told me on the phone they had put out too much money on the policy I bought.
I would have sued if I had to spend that 6 K to fix it. I found a company that would repair the controller reasonably. A couple hundred later, all fixed. Still works great an that was years ago.
It was not worth it to me to sue them, tho I should have just on principle.
Old 02-18-19, 12:05 PM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

that's crazy that a warranty company would do that. i also stay away from warranty companies. working at a repair shop before, i would have to call up for coverage regarding customer's cars. they never wanted to cover repairs. if they did cover something it was usually only partial coverage.
Old 02-18-19, 12:35 PM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default If I were t buy one

I would only consider the Lexus CPO warranty on say a couple year old LS. The aftermarket warranties are ripoffs. Always a reason they do not cover the repair, or at best cover part of it.
The problem is the courts are really your only alternative to force the issue. Taking them to say small claims court? If you win, you get a judgement. It's up to you to collect on it. That's the hard part.
Old 03-21-19, 09:51 AM
NetG
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by xsbc63x
im looking at buying a 05 ls430 modern lux pkg with about 50k miles, and was debating on an extended warranty, im pretty sure the powertrain warranty is 6yr 70k so im ok there, and i constantly hear how little problems these cars have, and is it worth paying 2500$ for an extended warranty? what do you guys think
as long as the fluid changes are done the engine and trans will go well into the hundreds of thousands of miles...I have not heard of any issues, even rarely, before this so I would personally not get it...but that's me. Also, $2500 should be significantly adding the purchase price of this car...it should not cost more than $8000 to POSSIBLY $9000 even with low mileage...the 9k range would be for pristine ultra luxury edition.