LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Trunk Strut Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-09, 07:34 AM
hrp
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk Strut Questions

Newby here, but am member of other forums (Lexus, Autopia, Reatta, CR-V, etc) for years. After trying the search function, I have just 3 questions re: trunk strut replacement in a 2002 LS430.

1) Actual instructions (in Mickey Mouse detail, if you please)? With pics??

2) Best place to get reasonably priced struts?

3) Any struts that will actually open the trunk rather than just pop it open?

Thanks,

Old 04-01-09, 07:46 AM
bakjak
Driver School Candidate

The struts on a LS430 are only designed to crack the trunk not open it. The LS460 is designed to open all the way. I don't believe their are struts strong enough to open it.
Old 04-01-09, 07:56 AM
hrp
Rookie

Default thanks, but

Thanks, but how about the actual method of replacement and finding a less expensive source of replacement struts??
Old 04-02-09, 06:10 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There's a little button or tab to release the hinge, after you release it you just pop off the old strut and press on the new one. Get struts on ebay.
Old 04-03-09, 04:29 AM
hrp
Rookie

Thanks,
**** (aka hrp)
Old 04-04-09, 03:24 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I just replaced the trunk struts on my '04 LS430 UL. The trunk lid had become rather heavy to lift and my daughter complained about it. I used OEM parts (I don't believe in using cheap parts on such a quality automobile). Very easy to replace.

No, the supports won't open the trunk. The new ones wil continue the lift only after the lid has been raised 36", which by then is almost open.

The real difference can be seen in the effort to lift the lid. The new struts will keep the lid from falling while closing the lid until it is 10 inchs from being fully closed. My old struts would allow the trunk to fall on it's own when the lid was 30 inches from being fully closed. That's a real and obvious difference in the effort required to open the lid.

Go for new OEM parts and replace them yourself. It's worth the $200 to enjoy this car.
Old 04-05-09, 09:08 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

I bought my 2002 LS430UL used. The OEM trunk struts were definitely useless, as the trunk lid was very heavy to open, and the lid would free-fall unless it was at the full-open position. I saw this as a safety problem (lid coming down on people's heads), as well as being an inconvenience.

I used aftermaket struts from FIGS Engineering on my 2002 LS430UL. The reason I did not use OEM was because if the OEM struts failed so quickly the first time, they will likely fail quickly again. The pair of FIGS struts on eBay were $94.95USD after shipping to Canada, $79.95USD before shipping.

To install them, you need to open the trunk lid fully, and work on 1 strut at a time. Remove the 2 metal retaining clips (at the top and bottom ball joints) on the old strut using a small flathead screwdriver. Once that is done, slightly hyper-extend the trunk lid and pop the strut out of one ball joint at a time. You may have to wiggle the trunk lid and strut at the same time to get a good angle.

Note that the trunk lid is fairly heavy, so be sure to always be holding it up with your hand (I've read that some people propped the lid up with a broomstick or whatever, but I just did the install with one hand).

Now that the old strut is removed, get your new strut, and ensure that the ball socket has a bit of grease in there (if not, shoot some in there - this just helps with long-term wear). Certain batches of FIGS struts did not come with grease, but Erin Park Toyota in Mississauga took care of that during on my 72000km lubrication interval, without me pointing it out to them. A thorough job done by them.

Note which direction the retaining clips are installed on the new strut, and then fully remove the retaining clips. Pop the strut onto the ball joints, and then slide the retaining clips into place. On the FIGS struts, the retaining clips slide into these tiny holes, and the top clip is positioned at an angle that is hard to see in a dimly-lit environment. Pack a flashlight or do this somewhere bright.

Repeat for the other side, and that's all there is to it. Time to install is about 10 minutes.

I am very satisfied with these struts - the trunk lid stays open after it has been lifted. I would prefer if the trunk lid popped open slightly, instead of not at all (although I am sure that was the original design).
Old 10-11-16, 01:23 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
I bought my 2002 LS430UL used. The OEM trunk struts were definitely useless, as the trunk lid was very heavy to open, and the lid would free-fall unless it was at the full-open position. I saw this as a safety problem (lid coming down on people's heads), as well as being an inconvenience.

I used aftermaket struts from FIGS Engineering on my 2002 LS430UL. The reason I did not use OEM was because if the OEM struts failed so quickly the first time, they will likely fail quickly again. The pair of FIGS struts on eBay were $94.95USD after shipping to Canada, $79.95USD before shipping.

To install them, you need to open the trunk lid fully, and work on 1 strut at a time. Remove the 2 metal retaining clips (at the top and bottom ball joints) on the old strut using a small flathead screwdriver. Once that is done, slightly hyper-extend the trunk lid and pop the strut out of one ball joint at a time. You may have to wiggle the trunk lid and strut at the same time to get a good angle.

Note that the trunk lid is fairly heavy, so be sure to always be holding it up with your hand (I've read that some people propped the lid up with a broomstick or whatever, but I just did the install with one hand).

Now that the old strut is removed, get your new strut, and ensure that the ball socket has a bit of grease in there (if not, shoot some in there - this just helps with long-term wear). Certain batches of FIGS struts did not come with grease, but Erin Park Toyota in Mississauga took care of that during on my 72000km lubrication interval, without me pointing it out to them. A thorough job done by them.

Note which direction the retaining clips are installed on the new strut, and then fully remove the retaining clips. Pop the strut onto the ball joints, and then slide the retaining clips into place. On the FIGS struts, the retaining clips slide into these tiny holes, and the top clip is positioned at an angle that is hard to see in a dimly-lit environment. Pack a flashlight or do this somewhere bright.

Repeat for the other side, and that's all there is to it. Time to install is about 10 minutes.

I am very satisfied with these struts - the trunk lid stays open after it has been lifted. I would prefer if the trunk lid popped open slightly, instead of not at all (although I am sure that was the original design).
Stan, I plan to install FIGS trunk struts tonight on the LS430. Is it absolutely necessary to remove the metal clips from the ball joints before installing the new struts? Also, will WD-40 suffice as lubricant or should I go to the hardware store on my way home after work to get some silicone grease? Also, my package didn't contain any instructions or grease, does the shiny rod go up or down? The strut itself is labeled "rod down", which matches how the OEM strut is installed. However, I could have sworn I read a post from Mike of FIGS Engineering that specifically said he designed the struts so the rod is up (to better seal the strut) or something to that effect, but I can't find the post anymore. Thank you for the help.
Old 10-11-16, 03:56 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Rock auto has Monroes for $15 ea. these struts have a metal clip that locks it to the ball on the trunk hinges. Just take a screwdriver to lift and twist the clip to remove. I found the hood to be a pita....not the trunk.
Old 10-11-16, 04:01 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Stan, I plan to install FIGS trunk struts tonight on the LS430. Is it absolutely necessary to remove the metal clips from the ball joints before installing the new struts? Also, will WD-40 suffice as lubricant or should I go to the hardware store on my way home after work to get some silicone grease? Also, my package didn't contain any instructions or grease, does the shiny rod go up or down? The strut itself is labeled "rod down", which matches how the OEM strut is installed. However, I could have sworn I read a post from Mike of FIGS Engineering that specifically said he designed the struts so the rod is up (to better seal the strut) or something to that effect, but I can't find the post anymore. Thank you for the help.
​​​​​​​no need to remove the clips, just lift and twist to release tension which allows the socket to come off the ball, the clip will stay on the old one...
Old 10-11-16, 04:03 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Rock auto has Monroes for $15 ea. these struts have a metal clip that locks it to the ball on the trunk hinges. Just take a screwdriver to lift and twist the clip to remove. I found the hood to be a pita....not the trunk.
Thanks, John. Did you install the Monroes in the same orientation as the OEM struts? Trying to figure out if I misread a post by FIGS Engineering in the past about installing the struts in reverse/upside-down...then again, the struts may only go in one way for the trunk to properly close. I just haven't had a chance to try yet. Also, did you bother with greasing the ball sockets? Just curious. Thanks!
Old 10-11-16, 04:07 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

no need to remove the clips, just lift and twist to release tension which allows the socket to come off the ball, the clip will stay on the old one...
I see, but on installing the new struts did you remove the clips first? Or can you just push the new struts into place, with clips in position? Looking at the part, it seems the clips would just spread open automatically when installing but I haven't tried yet. Will be home in about two hours to install.
Old 10-11-16, 04:22 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I see, but on installing the new struts did you remove the clips first? Or can you just push the new struts into place, with clips in position? Looking at the part, it seems the clips would just spread open automatically when installing but I haven't tried yet. Will be home in about two hours to install.
. You got it....with the clips in place, just pop them onto the *****. (But on the hood with Monroes, this paper clip thing needed to be removed, ***** installed, clips replaced, then the ***** screwed into the hood and fender...pita!...)
Old 10-11-16, 04:45 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks, John. Did you install the Monroes in the same orientation as the OEM struts? Trying to figure out if I misread a post by FIGS Engineering in the past about installing the struts in reverse/upside-down...then again, the struts may only go in one way for the trunk to properly close. I just haven't had a chance to try yet. Also, did you bother with greasing the ball sockets? Just curious. Thanks!
. Just took a look....the fat part of the strut is on top, the arm on the bottom. Did not grease but it would have been a good thing to do!
Old 10-11-16, 04:57 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

. Just took a look....the fat part of the strut is on top, the arm on the bottom. Did not grease but it would have been a good thing to do!
You think WD-40 is okay? Or should I go get some lithium grease?

Quick Reply: Trunk Strut Questions