LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Wind noise from windshield, any TSB issued???

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-09, 08:40 PM
Atl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind noise from windshield, any TSB issued???

I love my 2004 LS, but the wind noise coming from the windshield over 50 mph is bothering me. My 99 LS was as quiet as a mouse as far as wind noise went. It is not a whistle, but like if your side window was cracked very, very slightly. I can't tell if it is at the bottom of the windshield or the top. Windshield is the original Lexus glass, not an aftermarket windshield, it seems to not be the sunroof, the sound is straight ahead from the windshield. Was there a TSB issued about this??? Is this something they all do? Anyone know?
Old 01-01-09, 08:45 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this the original glass, or is it a replacement Lexus branded windshield?

If it's a replacement, its very possible that it wasn't fitted correctly and isn't sealing well. Is this noise something that has just started?
Old 01-01-09, 08:50 PM
Atl
Driver

Originally Posted by wanderer99
Is this the original glass, or is it a replacement Lexus branded windshield?

If it's a replacement, its very possible that it wasn't fitted correctly and isn't sealing well. Is this noise something that has just started?
It is Lexus glass with the Lexus logo and numbers at the bottom left, but have no idea if it was ever replaced, I am the second owner. As to the noise, it has been there from the start, I bought it last month. It seems to be the original glass.
Old 01-01-09, 11:25 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Having been through a few replacement windshields now on various cars I can tell you it definitely comes down to the skill of the installation company as to how good the glass seals. If they do a good job it will be silent. If you get whistling, road noise, airflow from under the glass or wind roaring, etc, then its probably not sealing properly.

It's not supposed to whistle so I guess you could get your dealer to confirm the diagnosis, or you could go directly to a glass place and have them look at it. I don't think it would cost too much either way to get it fixed.
Old 01-02-09, 10:20 AM
Rice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wanderer99
Having been through a few replacement windshields now on various cars I can tell you it definitely comes down to the skill of the installation company as to how good the glass seals. If they do a good job it will be silent. If you get whistling, road noise, airflow from under the glass or wind roaring, etc, then its probably not sealing properly.

It's not supposed to whistle so I guess you could get your dealer to confirm the diagnosis, or you could go directly to a glass place and have them look at it. I don't think it would cost too much either way to get it fixed.
I hope you're right.
Many places would tell you that the only way to fix this issue is to reinstall the w/s. However, oftentimes, the windshield would break upon removal. So, they will tell you that upfront, so that you are prepared for extra $$$$ just in case.

I would contact the PO if at all possible and ask them where they had it replaced and have the place do it right.
I know it's a loooong shot, but it may be worth a try.
Old 01-05-09, 07:11 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car has a replacement Lexus windshield. The previous owner had it installed and I guess there was a fitting issue as well. His solution was to put some of the clear bra 3M tape across the top of the windshield. You cannot really see it and there is no more noise in the cab.
Old 01-05-09, 06:51 PM
Atl
Driver

Originally Posted by Boomer01
My car has a replacement Lexus windshield. The previous owner had it installed and I guess there was a fitting issue as well. His solution was to put some of the clear bra 3M tape across the top of the windshield. You cannot really see it and there is no more noise in the cab.
Is he talking about the divot, or valley across and on top of the windshield? I was curious about that being a source as well.
Old 01-06-09, 06:04 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think so. It is the gap in between the windshield and the roof.
Old 01-07-09, 02:50 PM
Atl
Driver

Originally Posted by Boomer01
I think so. It is the gap in between the windshield and the roof.
I am going to attempt this this weekend and see if it helps. Let you know.

Surprised I seem to be the only one with this problem.
Old 01-08-09, 05:38 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would think if it allows wind noise in there would also be some water,, try a hose and see if any comes in, if so ya know where the problem is,,

Derry
Old 01-08-09, 09:13 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CG lover
would think if it allows wind noise in there would also be some water,, try a hose and see if any comes in, if so ya know where the problem is,,

Derry
Please don't try a hose. You don't want water in your LS!!!

I'd try compressed air if you want to really test it. Have someone sit inside the car and then blow air into the gap on the outside and see what you can hear. $3 or so from any computer store, etc.
Old 01-09-09, 02:28 PM
tochoks22
Driver School Candidate

Default you are not alone

I have the ls430 2004 and I have a similar problem, I just thought that at that speed there is bound to be some wind noise especially on windy days. Please If you get it sorted out please post your findings.
Old 01-10-09, 09:54 AM
nc356
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Had the same issue on our '04. Original factory w/s. Noise varied with wind direction.
Tried masking tape in several places;
Found noise was silenced by taping over the entire width at w/s top, at the glass to rubber joint.
(Taping over the groove that runs across the entire width didn't change the noise)
Took it to a glass shop where they know me, told them of my tape success. They just lifted the rubber up slightly and showed me the accumulation of dirt under it; proof that it wasn't sealing tightly.
They blew out the space with shop air, and injected black "goo" full width.

Took all of 5 minutes; they wouldn't take my money.

Noise completely gone.
The following users liked this post:
aypues (10-27-20)
Old 01-10-09, 10:24 AM
Atl
Driver

Originally Posted by nc356
Had the same issue on our '04. Original factory w/s. Noise varied with wind direction.
Tried masking tape in several places;
Found noise was silenced by taping over the entire width at w/s top, at the glass to rubber joint.
(Taping over the groove that runs across the entire width didn't change the noise)
Took it to a glass shop where they know me, told them of my tape success. They just lifted the rubber up slightly and showed me the accumulation of dirt under it; proof that it wasn't sealing tightly.
They blew out the space with shop air, and injected black "goo" full width.

Took all of 5 minutes; they wouldn't take my money.

Noise completely gone.
If you are right, I TOTALLY owe you one! I will try the tape at the upper windshield edge first. i was about to go to HD and get some tile caulk and fill in the valley above the windshield, never thought to tape the top of the windshield, and was pissed I would have to resort to tile caulk to stop this.
I am convinced this is the org. windshield.

Will post results tomm.

David
Old 01-12-09, 10:11 PM
JemmyTran
Pole Position

I also have the same problem. It just started happening though. I have the 5 year warranty on the wind shield protection does anyone know if this is covered so I can just take it to lexus.

Quick Reply: Wind noise from windshield, any TSB issued???