LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98 Ls400 Low Idle When Warm

Old 11-16-18, 10:10 AM
Juelz21
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98 Ls400 Low Idle When Warm

Hello all, i know there is a few threads about this and it seems to be a common problem but i cant find any straight answers, for a few months now my 98 Ls400 has been idling in Drive at stop with no accessories on at about 400 rpms, i get heavy vibrations, and it happens when the car has warmed up. It stalled on me once and before it did it had idle’d at 200 rpms and then cut out, hasnt happened since, but it has idle’d at 200 a few other times. If i turn on any accessories(a/c, heat, headlights) then it’ll idle right around where its supposed to(650). Ive cleaned the throttle body and replaced the air filter, spark plugs was changed less than a year ago, and has a fresh oil change, so what else could i try? Ive seen a youtube vid about replacing the vacuum lines, has anybody tried this? Thanks for the help
The following users liked this post:
lu400x (12-31-22)
Old 11-16-18, 11:33 AM
EthanS
Pole Position

Received 77 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm in the exact same boat, but in addition I have an on-again off-again P0420 check engine light ( drivers side catalytic converter malfunction) and poor mpg's (Most of the time <13mpg)
Not sure if the low idle, bad mileage, and cat efficiency issues are all tied together?

I have cleaned my throttle body extensively, cleaned the air mix path extensively. The air intake filter isn't spotless but is not in any way in poor condition.
Cannot find any exhaust leaks near the cats.
I have switched the downstream (post-cat) o2 sensors and the P0420 did not switch to P0430 (passenger side cat malfunction), so it is not the downstream o2 sensor going bad.
PCV valve and hoses have all been replaced within the last year.
Oil and spark plugs are always kept fresh, as they are currently.
I have not cleaned the MAF in any way. From what I hear, cleaning the MAF on a 98-00 vvti 1uz is risky - prone to cause more issues than leaving it alone.

I have sprayed carb cleaner all over intake tube and vacuum box/hoses with the engine idling - no sign of vacuum leaks with that test.
I have NOT sprayed carb cleaner anywhere under the car with it idling. I do want to inspect the idle-up power steering valve for vacuum leaks. I will try to do that this weekend and report back.

Cold start: idles about 1200-1500 rpm as expected, both with A/C on and off
Once warm with a/c off: very low idle 300rpm range ONLY IN DRIVE & REVERSE. In PARK & NEUTRAL decent healthy idle roughly 700-800 rpm
Once warm with a/c on: DRIVE & REVERSE acceptable but low 600rpm... PARK & NEUTRAL slightly high but perfectly acceptable 800-900 rpm range

I have heard multiple claims that this low idle issue can be cause by bad engine mounts...? That doesn't make any sense, but mine are old and could use replacement. I don't have much faith that engine mounts affect idle, but I suppose that's a possibility...

Open to any suggestions at this point, but only from those who have had a low idling vvti 1uz and have fixed the problem. Too many people on this forum (and all over the internet) suggesting fixes but they are just shooting in the dark (i.e. suggesting to clean/tweak the Idle Air Control Valve, of which the 98-00 vvti 1uz does not implement). Please don't contribute to the clutter.

Last edited by EthanS; 11-16-18 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-16-18, 01:29 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The engine coolant temp sensor threads would be my suggestion to read through.
Old 11-16-18, 01:51 PM
Juelz21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RA40
Ill look into it thanks for the input
Old 11-16-18, 02:34 PM
EthanS
Pole Position

Glad you mentioned that. My ECT sensor is currently 11k miles / 25 months old. The issue has persisted throughout that time.
It is the Delphi brand ECT sensor.
Old 11-16-18, 02:36 PM
Juelz21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EthanS
Glad you mentioned that. My ECT sensor is currently 11k miles / 25 months old. The issue has persisted throughout that time.
How often is this part replaced? Going to auto zone tomorrow to pick one up and will probably get it installed by the Sunday
Old 11-16-18, 03:19 PM
dlcoffin
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm having the same issue as well, with my 1997 ls400. low idle when warm, unless i have the ac on for the kick up. isn't there 2 sensors for temperature? One to the ecu, and the other to the dash gauge? The one connected to the dash gauge doesn't have anything to do with temp being sent to the ecu, is that right?
Old 11-16-18, 07:49 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The sensor for the coolant temp that is relayed to the ECU for fuel trim. Not the dash gauge. Many of us have replaced this at or beyond the 100K miles mark. At extended miles they tend to come out in two pieces or the connector wire shows severe corrosion.

Should be ok. When LScowboyls was here he preferred the Toyota sensor. Your situation has other factors involved since it has persisted even with the ECT replacement. I don't have familiarity with the VVTi version to suggest a direction. Keep us posted.
Old 11-16-18, 10:09 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Have you also cleaned two air mix passages using a compressor and enough solvent?
These 2 passages are one of weak points of aged 1UZ-FE VVT-i engines. I have fixed your type of problems a lot among 98 and after.
Old 11-17-18, 02:18 PM
Juelz21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yamae
Have you also cleaned two air mix passages using a compressor and enough solvent?
These 2 passages are one of weak points of aged 1UZ-FE VVT-i engines. I have fixed your type of problems a lot among 98 and after.
Yes ive seen you post on a lot of other threads pertaining to this issue, i just replaced the ECT and the car is running alot smoother however the tach still reads about 400 rpms, it really dosnt feel like 400 however... the two air mix passages are on the top of the throttle body right? I was thinking maybe i should just adjust the idle with a screwdriver through a procedure i found, by doing that will i be decreasing my fuel efficiency?
Old 11-17-18, 02:19 PM
Juelz21
Driver School Candidate

When i say 400 rpms i meant in drive, stopped with no accessories on
Old 11-17-18, 02:37 PM
Juelz21
Driver School Candidate

My car doesn’t have any acceleration problems and it dosnt lurch since ive cleaned the throttle body and i lve noticed that’s usually an accompanying problem with the low rpms when the air mix is clogged aswell, so with that being said do you still think its worth it to clean it?
Old 11-19-18, 03:40 PM
EthanS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Yamae
Well, using an air compressor is not something I have done to the two air mix passages yet. All I did was take the cover off with the engine running, and sprayed about half a can of cleaner with the little straw attachment into the holes. The engine died a lot when I did this.
Maybe I should repeat this process with more solvent and compressed air next time?
Old 11-19-18, 07:46 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by EthanS
Well, using an air compressor is not something I have done to the two air mix passages yet. All I did was take the cover off with the engine running, and sprayed about half a can of cleaner with the little straw attachment into the holes. The engine died a lot when I did this.
Maybe I should repeat this process with more solvent and compressed air next time?
Without using an air compressor, it is not quite effective, I must say. Read the thread below and you'd know more about the method by MngreLMat.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post8906720

Remember that you need to do it while the engine is idling+ to avoid the cleaner accumulated in the cylinder and causes the liquid hammer problem. Also the negative pressure is always needed there and this helps to clean passages more. You almost need 3 hands to do these simultaneously and you'd better ask someone to assist. I mean that one hand holds the cleaner can and the second hand holds the air compressor gun and third hand controls the idle speed not to halt the engine.

As MngreLMatt has written, "Use a couple of bottles if you have to", one can is often not sufficient. I also suggest you to try this twice while the engine is still warm may be waiting for half an hour or a bit more. If these are not successful, you probably need to remove injectors and clean them using a ultrasonic cleaner when the clogging is too bad. The most important passage is within the injector. It is so narrow that the passage is easily blocked. Once 1 injector is badly blocked, the air goes to other 3 injectors and it is not easy to clean the blocked injector. That's why you often need 2 cans and the compressed air.