LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Interchangeable gauge clusters (98 vs 00)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-18, 12:37 PM
PooPaws
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interchangeable gauge clusters (98 vs 00)

I have the usual gauge cluster issues that plague LS400s and I currently have access to a perfectly working gauge cluster from a 2000.
Has anyone tried a 2000 gauge cluster on a 98? They're both still in their respective cars and don't want to start ripping into this other Lexus if I don't have to.
They look nearly identical, mostly wondering if there are wiring changes between the two.
Thanks in advance.
The following users liked this post:
smokespeed (05-31-18)
Old 05-31-18, 07:56 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 220 Posts

Check the part numbers of the clusters on each car. If they're the same, it should be fine.

EDIT: It appears 1998-1999 clusters have the part number 83800-50011, while 2000 clusters have the part number 83800-50021, indicating a revision. I can't say for certain that this will work in your car, as I haven't tried it myself.

Last edited by CELSI0R; 05-31-18 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-02-18, 01:58 AM
WaveRunner
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have issues with my 98 gauge cluster as well. The fuel gauge shows full and will drop to half when empty. The low fuel light will even come on but the needle is just below the middle. The thermostat shows above middle operating temperature despite no sign of overheating. It has been this way for a while, over a year. The MPH and RPM stick in humid weather but tapping the top of the dash frees them. The reason your question is important is that in my 1998, I have no option to leave the trip computer message blank which is annoying. From my understanding from 1999 on they revised this although I did see a 1998 for sale on eBay turned on with a blank message screen so not sure. I'm sure it would be plug and play with the no message option but I'm not 100% sure. Tanix in Wisconsin I believe can repair my cluster. They also sell refurbished ones for $699.

Last edited by WaveRunner; 06-02-18 at 02:01 AM.
Old 06-02-18, 04:53 AM
Yamae

Received 855 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by WaveRunner
The fuel gauge shows full and will drop to half when empty. The low fuel light will even come on but the needle is just below the middle. The thermostat shows above middle operating temperature despite no sign of overheating.
It seems to me that your gauge problems are caused by the failed 5V regulator or the related circuit. I'd check the voltage at the lead indicated by the red arrow. It should be 5V sharp.

This is a gauge cluster board for a 98 Celsior. Parts location may be a bit different from a LS400 but the circuits are almost the same.
Old 06-02-18, 11:35 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
It seems to me that your gauge problems are caused by the failed 5V regulator or the related circuit. I'd check the voltage at the lead indicated by the red arrow. It should be 5V sharp.

This is a gauge cluster board for a 98 Celsior. Parts location may be a bit different from a LS400 but the circuits are almost the same.
The voltage regulator is easily sourced...

Double-sided circuit boards can be challenging, so if not equipped and familiar with soldering then employ an electronics technician..

Any particular brand voltage regulator and P.N. you recommend?

Dialectric or thermal grease required?

There are numerous 20 year old capacitors on the instrument cluster board...

Time to change capacitors?
Old 06-02-18, 08:43 PM
Yamae

>Any particular brand voltage regulator and P.N. you recommend?
A voltage regulator seldom fails because it has functions of current limiting, thermal shut down, over voltage protection, input fault protection and excessive transient protection. But when it is confirmed to fail, I recommend to use the original 78DL05AP as you can see in the photo. Some other equivalent IC chip can be probably used. There are many variations of 7805 family but you have to be careful for selecting one which has a TO-220 package with a low voltage drop type.

>Dialectric or thermal grease required?
Some silicon thermal compound is required.

>There are numerous 20 year old capacitors on the instrument cluster board...
>Time to change capacitors?

It is true that aluminium electrolytic capacitors fail some day. But the circuit designers are smart enough to select parts understanding the Arrhenius equation except to have used QAS one. Regarding the cluster board, it doesn't have any QAS capacitors and most of them are still OK after 20 years except the one which is located just left side of the heat sink. It gets the heat from the voltage regulator and the capacitance is decreased more than others. As you see, the outer tube has shrunk.
Old 06-03-18, 04:25 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

>Any particular brand voltage regulator and P.N. you recommend?
A voltage regulator seldom fails because it has functions of current limiting, thermal shut down, over voltage protection, input fault protection and excessive transient protection. But when it is confirmed to fail, I recommend to use the original 78DL05AP as you can see in the photo. Some other equivalent IC chip can be probably used. There are many variations of 7805 family but you have to be careful for selecting one which has a TO-220 package with a low voltage drop type.

>Dialectric or thermal grease required?
Some silicon thermal compound is required.

>There are numerous 20 year old capacitors on the instrument cluster board...
>Time to change capacitors?

It is true that aluminium electrolytic capacitors fail some day. But the circuit designers are smart enough to select parts understanding the Arrhenius equation except to have used QAS one. Regarding the cluster board, it doesn't have any QAS capacitors and most of them are still OK after 20 years except the one which is located just left side of the heat sink. It gets the heat from the voltage regulator and the capacitance is decreased more than others. As you see, the outer tube has shrunk.
78DL05ap's were made by Toshiba and read if you do not put a 100 micro farad cap on the output they will also not give you 5 volts instead they output just about the input voltage, It was recommended to use low ESR caps not sure if this is what was used here.

Also..do you know if the "decreased" capacitor immediately to the left of the voltage regulator is part of voltage regulating circuit??..and if so, it's capacitance (or capacitance of the related voltage regulating circuit cspacitor)
Old 06-03-18, 05:50 AM
Yamae

Originally Posted by YODAONE
78DL05ap's were made by Toshiba and read if you do not put a 100 micro farad cap on the output they will also not give you 5 volts instead they output just about the input voltage, It was recommended to use low ESR caps not sure if this is what was used here.

Also..do you know if the "decreased" capacitor immediately to the left of the voltage regulator is part of voltage regulating circuit??..and if so, it's capacitance (or capacitance of the related voltage regulating circuit cspacitor)
When an aluminium electrolytic capacitor is aged and decreased the capacitance, simultaneously the ESR become bigger as is explained here. This often causes the high frequency oscillation of the regulator. The out put voltage will not be regulated and the circuits under that can't work properly.
Old 06-03-18, 07:43 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

When an aluminium electrolytic capacitor is aged and decreased the capacitance, simultaneously the ESR become bigger as is explained here. This often causes the high frequency oscillation of the regulator. The out put voltage will not be regulated and the circuits under that can't work properly.
Can you identify capacitor(s) associated with the voltage regulation circuit?

Thanks
Old 06-03-18, 05:57 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Can you identify capacitor(s) associated with the voltage regulation circuit?

Thanks
Why don't you trace the line connected the copper trace indicated by the arrow before you ask?
It's just easy to find and I wouldn't ask that simple question.
Old 06-03-18, 09:07 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Why don't you trace the line connected the copper trace indicated by the arrow before you ask?
It's just easy to find and I wouldn't ask that simple question.
Able to do when I extract and disassemble my instrument cluster..

Your images suggest you have already done so, so you received this honorary question.