LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Bad Master switch or dead window motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-18, 01:46 PM
stoney1997
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Bad Master switch or dead window motor?

Winter has finally disappeared in good ol' East Tennessee and I've finally had the chance to tackle the little issues.

I have a problem with, possibly, the master switch. The driver side window will roll down, but not up unless I tug and pull until it randomly decides to go up again, IF IT DOES. The other 3 windows work perfectly fine. I can hear all the clicks when I mess with the other windows, but I hear nothing when trying to mess with the drivers window.

I took off the switch, and looked at it, and it looks like the metal/copper lead going to the drivers switch is "burnt" or kind of a warped color but everything else looks mint.
So could I save a few dollars by just buying a master switch or do I need to dig deeper to see if the window motor is bad (too)?
Old 04-14-18, 07:53 PM
Moarpower
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I have swapped out and cannibalised many of these switches. They are very temperamental and extremely fragile these days.

I would honestly start buying a few when you see them. Get a working one and check if it works. Always replace the cheapest part first after diagnosis.
Old 04-15-18, 12:19 AM
stoney1997
Rookie

Originally Posted by Moarpower
I have swapped out and cannibalised many of these switches. They are very temperamental and extremely fragile these days.

I would honestly start buying a few when you see them. Get a working one and check if it works. Always replace the cheapest part first after diagnosis.
Well I went ahead and bought a switch off ebay for $30, so we will see by next week if I bought a fancy new gadget that doesn't work or the holy grail.
Old 04-14-20, 01:32 PM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Default worked?

Originally Posted by stoney1997

Well I went ahead and bought a switch off ebay for $30, so we will see by next week if I bought a fancy new gadget that doesn't work or the holy grail.
Did it fix it
Old 04-14-20, 08:43 PM
stoney1997
Rookie

Originally Posted by blkstealthpaid4
Did it fix it
Actually yes. Surprised to see a comment 2 years later.

The original master switch had archs and whatnot along the path for the drivers switch and part of the passenger switch. Plugged in the new switch and Everything worked perfectly fine afterwards. Its definitely the cheaper option to go for to sort out whether it' a switch or a window motor.
Old 04-15-20, 06:39 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 220 Posts

Did it fix it
What are the symptoms your car has?

I would recommend testing the motor first, before buying the switch. All it takes is a battery and a few jumper wires to the connector.

Does your window work at all? Does the motor make any noise? Do your other windows work?
Old 04-15-20, 08:45 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

I replaced with a switch from the junkyard.Unless my junkyard switch was bad
Old 04-15-20, 08:46 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

My junkyard's window cancel button was sticking.smh.So I need a to try a 3rd switch.smh
Old 04-16-20, 07:35 AM
greasegun
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stoney1997
Winter has finally disappeared in good ol' East Tennessee and I've finally had the chance to tackle the little issues.

I have a problem with, possibly, the master switch. The driver side window will roll down, but not up unless I tug and pull until it randomly decides to go up again, IF IT DOES. The other 3 windows work perfectly fine. I can hear all the clicks when I mess with the other windows, but I hear nothing when trying to mess with the drivers window.

I took off the switch, and looked at it, and it looks like the metal/copper lead going to the drivers switch is "burnt" or kind of a warped color but everything else looks mint.
So could I save a few dollars by just buying a master switch or do I need to dig deeper to see if the window motor is bad (too)?
I just opened mine and cleaned it with smooth sand paper and wiped it off with a isopropyl alcohol. And the switch that does not work for the back window i put in an aluminum foil to have a full contact and it works. Just be careful when you open it up there are 4 or 5 little springs that will pop out.
Cheers
The following users liked this post:
CELSI0R (04-16-20)
Old 04-16-20, 07:50 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 220 Posts

My junkyard's window cancel button was sticking.smh.So I need a to try a 3rd switch.smh
Clean the contacts before getting another switch.. Don't throw more parts at it yet.

Are your symptoms the same as stoney's? I would also test your window motor, in case it isn't the switch.
Old 04-17-20, 05:23 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

The same exact symptoms.I already opened and tried re-soldering some contact points on the master switch.The second junkyard switch had the window lock button not either staying down or up.3 rd switch is on its way.Upon arrival, I will pb blaster the regulator while changing .We will see when it arrives.