LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Headlight leveling on dashboard

Old 03-26-18, 07:28 PM
TONY1022
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight leveling on dashboard

98 lexus ls 400

my dashboard reads headlight leveling with a red light.i believe a sensor has to be changed.

But which..?

Your help will be greatly appreciated guys.

Thanks
Old 03-26-18, 09:45 PM
Scraape
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

whenever i have had that message pop up on the dash in my 99, it has been due to a low battery
The following 2 users liked this post by Scraape:
banjojimmy (04-26-18), TONY1022 (03-27-18)
Old 03-27-18, 09:35 AM
ma61
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There are level sensors on the suspension arms that read the ride height of the vehicle.
Start there buy checking those for damage, or wiring issues.
If the system detects a fault with one of the level sensors, it will automatically aim the headlights to the lowest level, so if that is the case then you know to look there.

If no issues found with those, you may have a faulty headlight level adjustment motor in one of the headlight assemblies.
The headlights will do a self check when you start the car, so if you have someone else start it while you watch the lights move, that may tell you if it is an issue with one of the lights.
The following users liked this post:
TONY1022 (04-02-18)
Old 03-28-18, 09:38 AM
Jbex35
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am getting the same indicator along with the battery warning light. I have changed the battery and alternator, it ran for 4 days with no indicators and then these 2 came on at the same time. We didn't fix the headlight sensor, so I am hoping that the battery light is a fluke since that has all been fixed or replaced. The mechanic said that the I am getting a great charge. Has anyone else experienced this?
Scraape (03-28-18)
Old 03-28-18, 10:14 AM
Scraape
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jbex35
I am getting the same indicator along with the battery warning light. I have changed the battery and alternator, it ran for 4 days with no indicators and then these 2 came on at the same time. We didn't fix the headlight sensor, so I am hoping that the battery light is a fluke since that has all been fixed or replaced. The mechanic said that the I am getting a great charge. Has anyone else experienced this?
this is exactly what was happening in my 1999 . Headlight Leveling Notification popped up, Battery Charge Light Came on, and eventually both just went away.

I attributed the funky stuff going on to possibly power steering fluid(ATF) leaking on the alternator. But it could also be an intermittent alternator on its way out or improperly installed ?

I switched out my alternator for an 01 LS430 unit for peace of mind. Never swapped the battery
Old 03-28-18, 10:55 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Scraape

I switched out my alternator for an 01 LS430 unit for peace of mind. Never swapped the battery
Was that plug and play?Thank you Scraape for putting this info into my brain and the excellent link.

Last edited by spuds; 03-28-18 at 12:22 PM.
Scraape (03-28-18)
Old 03-28-18, 11:03 AM
Scraape
Advanced

Originally Posted by spuds
Was that plug and play?
indeed it was. all you need is to add an extra bolt (90109-08298) and nut(90080-17242) for the third mounting ear on the LS430 alternator . refer to this thread for more info:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...r-upgrade.html
spuds (03-28-18)
Old 04-26-18, 07:26 PM
banjojimmy
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is exactly what was happening in my 1999 . Headlight Leveling Notification popped up, Battery Charge Light Came on, and eventually both just went away.

I attributed the funky stuff going on to possibly power steering fluid(ATF) leaking on the alternator. But it could also be an intermittent alternator on its way out or improperly installed ?

The same condition just appeared on my 02 LS430: Battery warning and Headlight Leveling caution. I immediately suspected alternator failure [my battery is nearly new]. Did replacing the alternator fix your problem? Also, do you the interchangeability on these...I feel a trip to PullAPart is imminent.
Old 04-26-18, 07:46 PM
Scraape
Advanced

The battery charge light and headlight leveling notification disappeared on their own after awhile.

I did go and replace the alternator anyways after I got back from the trip I was on.

I believe 01-03 Ls430 alternators are interchangeable
banjojimmy (04-26-18)
Old 04-26-18, 09:12 PM
banjojimmy
9th Gear

The battery charge light and headlight leveling notification disappeared on their own after awhile.

I did go and replace the alternator anyways after I got back from the trip I was on.

I believe 01-03 Ls430 alternators are interchangeable
Many thanks. I just checked the PullAPart interchange page: 01-06 LS430, 02-09 SC430 and 06-07 GS430. It is a 130 amp Denso. I found one at AutoZone for $104 total after a 25% online discount and my core refund. Not bad.
Old 04-26-18, 09:19 PM
Scraape
Advanced

Nice, make sure you get 01-03 though, I'm pretty sure the connector is different for the 04-06
banjojimmy (04-26-18)
Old 05-03-18, 08:25 PM
ToneOnmi
Driver School Candidate

Default Having similar issues but my 00 is cutting off

I’m experiencing the same issue while driving the battery light ,VSC and headlight leveling warning all come on then she cuts off and I have to wait about 25-30 min then she might turn over but with low electrical power I do have a small power steering fluid leak as well but I got a brand new battery and checked the alternator plus diagnostic code reader and nothing pops up and alternator is good I just don’t know what the hell is going with her if anyone knows this issue the knowledge on what to do to repair it I will greatly appreciate it
Thanks
Old 05-04-18, 01:08 AM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by ToneOnmi

I’m experiencing the same issue while driving the battery light ,VSC and headlight leveling warning all come on then she cuts off and I have to wait about 25-30 min then she might turn over but with low electrical power I do have a small power steering fluid leak as well but I got a brand new battery and checked the alternator plus diagnostic code reader and nothing pops up and alternator is good I just don’t know what the hell is going with her if anyone knows this issue the knowledge on what to do to repair it I will greatly appreciate it
Thanks
Your alternator is dying and will quit the generation completely soon. A small P/S fluid leak tends to cause your type of problem due to the reason that the leaked P/S fluid goes to brushes and the commutator in the alternator and the current path is disabled as you drive. You need to fix those 2 before you might be forced to stop at somewhere.

Last edited by Yamae; 05-04-18 at 01:19 AM.
Old 05-04-18, 06:49 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Yamae
Your alternator is dying and will quit the generation completely soon. A small P/S fluid leak tends to cause your type of problem due to the reason that the leaked P/S fluid goes to brushes and the commutator in the alternator and the current path is disabled as you drive. You need to fix those 2 before you might be forced to stop at somewhere.
ToneOmni- Being new here (like me) you might not know Yamae yet. He is the final word on all things electric for repairs. So you get free advice that you often times couldnt even pay for elsewhere. Just do exactly as he says and you will be golden.Even if it seems counter-intuitive to what you are seeing ,he is right.
Old 05-04-18, 09:56 AM
ToneOnmi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yamae
thanks man I really appreciate the info because I was lost on the issue but I will replace them both alternator & P/S pump again big thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlight leveling on dashboard