LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Replacement Antenna Mast 1997 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-17, 07:23 AM
t4l
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacement Antenna Mast 1997 LS400

I keep having issues with the power antenna on my 1997 LS. It keeps breaking the gear track for the mast. I've used a couple different aftermarket versions from different sources and the result is the same, they work great for a few weeks and then quit. usually hear a grinding noise and then the track breaks and it's done. I've seen several reviews using aftermarket masts with no problems. Not sure why I'm having such an issue with this. I disassemble and clean out the assembly each time it's apart and it works flawlessly afterwards for a couple weeks before failing again. I think the motor limits are working correctly because is always stops running a split second after hitting the upper or lower limits.

Could it be that I am simply being too cheap and should spring for the $75 OEM mast? I feel like this is a simple enough part that a well-fitting aftermarket mast should work fine.. Is there something else that I could be missing to cause this issue over and over?
Old 03-27-17, 09:18 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I have an aftermarket cable in my 1991's antenna, and it is now working with no problems.

The original toothed nylon cable snapped near the top after 25 years. Thinking like you (what could be wrong with aftermarket for 1/4 the price?), I bought and installed one. A few times later, the cable pulled out where it attaches to the antenna top. So I took it apart and noticed that they did not engineer or assemble that area as carefully as Lexus did. Having it already apart, I transplanted the new aftermarket cable to the old antenna, carefully re-doing the connection from cable to antenna top segment, and it has been fine since.

So, as it relates to your situation ... I have found the aftermarket cable to be just fine in my case. The toothed nylon cable has pulled out of the mast top segment, but has not snapped - are you sure that's not what's happening to yours? Actually snapping one of those cables seems pretty hard to do before it becomes aged and brittle. But if that's what's going, on, my guess would be that there is something wrong inside the motor/gear assembly that pulls the cable in. Maybe a cut on one of the teeth that is cutting the cable? I'd disassemble that. First, maybe inspect the cable to see if there is any damage at places other than the break. Also see if the break shows a cut vs. a snap vs. being pulled apart.

Or, if you don't like solving things like this, you can always just buy an OE antena and motor assembly. That would have a pretty good chance to fix it too.
Old 03-28-17, 07:18 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 171 Posts

I've been using a 20 dollar AntennaX aftermarket one I bought off Amazon for the past year and a half with no problems in my 97. It took about a week for the antenna to find it's "home" it was clicking for a few days until the motor finally worked the teeth of the cable in. Now it doesn't do it anymore
Old 03-28-17, 08:02 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

It does have to have that super expensive body lube in it as well.
Old 03-28-17, 08:47 PM
Calliope
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a cable to connect the cell phone antenna in the back window to the radio antenna in the trunk. I left the broken arial in the down position and just bypassed it. It took some creative soldering and addition of a female connector. But the end result is a very reliable signal with out worrying about the plastic cogs breaking and the arial being stuck in the up position at a car wash.
Old 03-29-17, 01:32 AM
USDM
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
I've been using a 20 dollar AntennaX aftermarket one I bought off Amazon for the past year and a half with no problems in my 97. It took about a week for the antenna to find it's "home" it was clicking for a few days until the motor finally worked the teeth of the cable in. Now it doesn't do it anymore
I'm using the same antenna sold by AntennaX on my 1996 LS 400. I took my time with the installation and everything went smooth and sans problems. The replacement AntennaX antenna has been installed on my car for roughly three months now and I am happy to report that I have not experienced any problems with it.
Old 03-29-17, 01:42 AM
winter4w
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I went with an OEM one. My other one broke when it hit my garage door.(https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...na-mast-2.html) I was considering on going for an aftermarket one but I have read a lot of people haveing issues of them going after a few weeks. Even though it was expensive I have had it on for over a year and a half now and no issues!
Old 04-03-17, 07:00 AM
t4l
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have gone through 2x of the AntennaX masts now.. I always clean everything out real well and they seem to work very smooth until they break. Currently debating between a OEM replacement, or shaving the hole and running one of the "inside-the-glass" versions.
Old 04-03-17, 12:33 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

May have something within the motor that is causing problems. I've not serviced/opened one up so others my have some insights for you. When I wash ours, I'll extend the antenna to clean the sections and apply a "dry" based teflon type lube.
Old 04-03-17, 04:48 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
May have something within the motor that is causing problems. I've not serviced/opened one up so others my have some insights for you. When I wash ours, I'll extend the antenna to clean the sections and apply a "dry" based teflon type lube.
The inside is lubed with Toyota body grease. The yellowish stuff.