LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

A good code reader?

Old 01-14-17, 01:53 PM
winter4w
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default A good code reader?

I am looking into getting a code reader. I have no issues with my car but if a light ever does show up I would like to know what's the issue asap. What code reader do you use and how well does it work? (I have a 1996 Lexus LS400)

Thanks
Old 01-14-17, 06:08 PM
Oseberg
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a decent code reader,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ISULPO8/

It works great, but I would like one that would give me more information. Is there one that will give me the position of the VVT-i and any other items that are special to my engine?
(1998 LS400 1UZFE VVTI)
Old 01-14-17, 06:11 PM
Kdfwagen
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have carista. I haven't found any codes with it though. Maybe I have none? No check engine light.
Old 01-15-17, 10:53 AM
EthanS
Pole Position

Received 77 Likes on 55 Posts

I have also been looking in to purchasing a code reader. There's an older thread in here that suggests this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001LHVOVK...I1HM6E9PV01NWA

It's a bit more expensive, but I am really considering the BlueDriver. Its an OBDII plug with bluetooth to an app on your iphone:
https://www.amazon.com/BlueDriver-Bl.../dp/B00652G4TS

Anyone have experience with BlueDriver specifically on an LS? or any earlier model Lexus in general?
Old 01-15-17, 11:10 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

My personal opinion, a code reader is not worth spending the $ on. All is does is read the code, no other information, no help in trouble shooting the problem.
Old 01-15-17, 08:22 PM
Oseberg
Rookie

Originally Posted by dicer
My personal opinion, a code reader is not worth spending the $ on. All is does is read the code, no other information, no help in trouble shooting the problem.
Most of the time the code tells you exactly what the problem is.

Sometimes it is wrong and in that case, most of the time a Google search and your make and model will find you the exact problem that will produce that code.

My mom has a ULEV Honda Accord that threw two random codes. I searched Google and they said the gas cap was leaking. I examined the gas cap and the seal was old, dried out, and cracked. The codes said absolutely nothing about the gas cap, but the Google search resulted in several who said this was the problem.

My GF has a 2006 Mercedes and it produced a code that said that the #3 coil pack was bad. The engine was also running like crap. Replaced the #3 coil pack and the problem was solved immediately with absolutely no diagnosing, guesswork, or Google searches.

Dicer, why don't you tell me how much work it would have been to figure out that the #3 coil pack was bad without a code reader?
Old 01-16-17, 06:34 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

I worked on a car one time that had a tps code. The problem was the igniton module. Code no help there.
And with a decent scan tool you would find that bad coil quick, and even with a real time cheapy code reader slash scan tool, if you under stood the fuel trims and what was happening on that bank.
If I had the miss from it I could find it with in 5 minutes with out the code. Just got to know the tricks.

Last edited by dicer; 01-16-17 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-16-17, 07:08 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Oseberg

why don't you tell me how much work it would have been to figure out that the #3 coil pack was bad without a code reader?
5 minutes maybe? My son's Acura had #1 coil bad. I just unplugged the coils one at a time til the RPMs didn't change. Then switched #1 and #3 coils to make sure it was the coil that was bad. But a code reader can be a help, if you have a good one.
I like my wire I use to read codes in my 94.
The following users liked this post:
Oseberg (01-16-17)
Old 01-16-17, 08:03 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
5 minutes maybe? My son's Acura had #1 coil bad. I just unplugged the coils one at a time til the RPMs didn't change. Then switched #1 and #3 coils to make sure it was the coil that was bad. But a code reader can be a help, if you have a good one.
I like my wire I use to read codes in my 94.
A scan tool that can read mode 6 data would make quick work of that.
Old 01-16-17, 10:53 PM
Oseberg
Rookie

I noticed you guys are saying, "code reader" and "scan tool".

What exactly is the difference?

I had a 95 Saturn that I could get the codes from using a paperclip and watching the check engine light blink out the codes. I eventually got a, "code reader" which was pretty much a connector with a paperclip built into it so I still had to watch the check engine light blink.

For my LS400 and all the OBD2 cars I've encountered I've used my device that I linked to above that reads out the codes and displays them on it's screen. It can also monitor many of the sensors like RPM or ECT or O2 or whatever. But it can't monitor everything. I'd like to be able to monitor the position of the VVTi cam advance and other special features on my engine.
Old 01-17-17, 06:56 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

A code reader just reads codes and that is all. A scan tool can show real time data like O2 sensor voltages throttle position and many other things and will show what the engine temp sensor is showing for a temp and on an on. A real good scan tool lets you operate the various things like egr evap solenoids fans on and off and tons of other things, as well as some reprogramming and turning on and off certain operating parameters of the vehicle. The more you can do with a scan tool the more you can pinpoint the real culprit causing the problems. Good scan tools will show wave forms of timing sensors so you know if they are working or not. They can turn on and off the cylinders to see if that one you think is missing is really the bad one etc. You can have graphs of the fuel trims shows it running rich or lean. The more it does the easier it is to find a difficult problem. Especially with the CAN systems on the newer cars, and good scan tools can be used to link, or initiate replacement modules into the system so they are a necessity on some vehicles.
Old 01-18-17, 09:15 AM
Oseberg
Rookie

Ok, so I have a cheap crappy scan tool. Not a code reader.

So, how much are these, "really good" scan tools, and which ones are they?
Old 01-18-17, 09:49 AM
EthanS
Pole Position

Received 77 Likes on 55 Posts

Yeah, I guess I had the terms confused. I am definitely interested in a nice scan tool that can not only read codes, but also display ecu signals like vvti/timing, O2, water temp, throttle position, etc.
Old 01-18-17, 03:43 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

The better scan tools will start at 1000 and go up from there. You can get them used for okay prices too. I've also read that the Autel maxi das will do things the high end snap on stuff won't, but only on OBD2. Some of the high end tools will do OBD1 but I suppose its very limited what they do show, I don't know for sure.
Old 01-20-17, 10:25 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Detailed discussion and breakdown is here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...omparison.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A good code reader?