LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

P0325, I hate chipmunks.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-16, 09:43 PM
Caseyjones
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0325, I hate chipmunks.

I live in the woods and dont drive it often, during the summer I'm usually on my vmax instead but I still use the car for days when I work. I found chipmunk nests under the hood, how resourceful these little bastards are. Grass, pine needles, the insulation that used to be on the hood and firewall, dog crap and stuffing from someones lawn chairs. I found a chewed vac line and replaced that. DC battery and CEL came back on with lack of power again. I decided to pull the code and found P0325, knock sensor code, I originally dismissed it as the EGR code that pops up every few months r/t blocked lower EGR tube. I got the light out and peered into the valley and saw what must be a pillow case full of leaves, insulation and crap so I blew most of that out to get a look at how much of a PITA this would be. The knock sensors look new but the harness going to it is chewed back, I see the wire danging there with chew marks all over it. I think at this time I'm going to be stuck replacing the knock sensor harness.

EDIT: Car is a 96 with under 200k on the clock.

Where can I get a harness?
Can I replace it w/o pulling the intake?

I read about guys replacing the sensors going between the intake runners on gen1 but not on gen2. I was hoping I could snake it out, mend it and guide it back in with utility wire. Any input welcome.

Thanks!
Old 07-21-16, 09:48 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Classic mouse and rat problem. Check for a nice nest in the V under the intake manifold I had one of those.
Old 07-22-16, 06:06 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
Classic mouse and rat problem. Check for a nice nest in the V under the intake manifold I had one of those.
When I had my starter problem, I can't tell you how many peanuts I found in the valley. My neighbor feeds the squirrels daily and they love to scatter and hide more than they ever eat.
Old 07-22-16, 06:48 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 247 Likes on 188 Posts

thank gauwd mine is kept inside the garage lol
Old 07-22-16, 09:48 AM
Caseyjones
Rookie

Originally Posted by dicer
That valley under the intake is where I found tons of crap packed in. Once I blew it out enough to see the knock sensors (after being led there by the code) I noticed the wire chewed off the sensor on the drivers side bank. Our issues here are mostly chipmunks and squirrels, and turkey, but thats another story involving hundreds of vertical scratches all along both sides of the car. I'm looking for the best solution to getting that wire put back. Maybe a new harness or mend the old one. I cant easily see any way to snake the old one out though.

I would love to have a garage, no kidding. I'm looking at houses now and the two imperatives are a garage and in a town of under 10k population. It stings a bit to have this car just sitting out in the weather but after I have a garage I plan to upgrade to the next generation with VVT and a 5sp. For now I have to keep this one running properly, it has to carry me and be suitable to transport clients until I move.
Old 07-23-16, 09:10 PM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 363 Posts

Off topic...I've been watching YT videos of airgun owners dealing with various pests. We live not far from a market and with regularity the rodents come into the neighborhood. When we had dogs they would attempt to take their food along with the opossums. When the fruit tress were fruiting it was like invites went out and these pests came in numbers. I share the irritation that they cause.
Old 07-24-16, 07:37 AM
Caseyjones
Rookie

I have been told that Irish Spring repells these little bastards, I put a couple bars through the food procesor and sprinkled it around the engine compartment, we'll see if it really works.

I have a couple extended needlenose, duct tape, a splice block and extra wire. I have a plan to repair it without removing the intake.
Old 07-24-16, 10:22 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Caseyjones
I have been told that Irish Spring repells these little bastards, I put a couple bars through the food procesor and sprinkled it around the engine compartment, we'll see if it really works.

I have a couple extended needlenose, duct tape, a splice block and extra wire. I have a plan to repair it without removing the intake.
I'm going by memory here, but I think you will have a hard time getting to those connectors and then getting them off. I've had my intakes off four times this year, and it isn't that hard to pull them. Just have to keep track of all the hoses and connectors.