LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Removing cheap paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-16, 06:17 PM
ogaustin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing cheap paint

hey, guys. i'm new here.
i just recently got myself a first gen ls400 for a steal and it came with a horrible paint job.
the owner said it was done at maaco a while ago.
i just want to know what would be the best way to remove just the primer and the coat.
i don't know much about paint, so i'll post some photos and you can check it out.
the original color of the car is charcoal/silver.
thanks.

Last edited by ogaustin; 06-12-16 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-13-16, 12:36 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

That one looks pretty rough so hard to say if it is worth the time-$$ to restore that. Any cracks or prior fixes done? I would suggest a media blast with a lighter cutting media that won't be to abrasive on the synthetic cover.
Old 06-13-16, 03:15 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

So is it the whole car you want to remove the paint from or just the bumpers?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post1581983
If it was paint code 180 on the above chart, what a shame to change it.

You will not save the original paint below the cheapy paint job. The only methods for removing it are, sanding, media blast like RA40 says to do, chemical paint remover, total body dipping in caustic chemicals.
If your real careful and want to spend months (with very fine sand paper) you can carefully sand it to the old paint and if the paint place left you any clear coat you could restore it. Also I have played with the idea of reapplying a new clear coat. In the older days I remember out fits offering a clear coat to protect the factory paint and in those days it was a single stage baked on enamel of some sort. Nowdays I think all new cars have a pimer that is a urethane and then a water base, base coat (strictly air dry crap it is, and adhesion to the primer is very questionable) then a urethane clear top coat. I don't know what the LS used for the base or color coat. We need Yamae to go visit the factory some day and ask them.
Old 06-26-16, 11:54 AM
ogaustin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RA40
Welcome to Club Lexus.

That one looks pretty rough so hard to say if it is worth the time-$$ to restore that. Any cracks or prior fixes done? I would suggest a media blast with a lighter cutting media that won't be to abrasive on the synthetic cover.
thank you!
and i'll keep researching !
Old 06-26-16, 11:56 AM
ogaustin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
So is it the whole car you want to remove the paint from or just the bumpers?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post1581983
If it was paint code 180 on the above chart, what a shame to change it.

You will not save the original paint below the cheapy paint job. The only methods for removing it are, sanding, media blast like RA40 says to do, chemical paint remover, total body dipping in caustic chemicals.
If your real careful and want to spend months (with very fine sand paper) you can carefully sand it to the old paint and if the paint place left you any clear coat you could restore it. Also I have played with the idea of reapplying a new clear coat. In the older days I remember out fits offering a clear coat to protect the factory paint and in those days it was a single stage baked on enamel of some sort. Nowdays I think all new cars have a pimer that is a urethane and then a water base, base coat (strictly air dry crap it is, and adhesion to the primer is very questionable) then a urethane clear top coat. I don't know what the LS used for the base or color coat. We need Yamae to go visit the factory some day and ask them.

thank you so much for the link to the paint thread! i appreciate it