LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help!- Horn, wipers, sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-16, 10:44 AM
Oceanic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!- Horn, wipers, sunroof

I'm having a few issues with my 92 ls400
The horn does not work, it seems to click when I press it and I believe it worked for a short period of time. But it isn't working now.
Also, my windshield wipers are not working, I don't hear the motor spinning, I replaced the fuse, but I'm not sure of which relay it is to be able to test it or where I can get a replacement.
And finally, my sunroof doesn't seal fully, the back end of it doesn't come up and meet the roof of the car and it sits tilted allowing a LOT of water to come in which I found out today when I went into the car wash and had to use my clothes to hold the water back.
The controls for it are pretty wonky, you have to press a weird assortment of buttons to get it to open or close. Open, then tilt, open, tilt the other direction, and then open til it opens. And a similar pattern to get it to shut as far as it does

Last edited by RA40; 05-07-16 at 06:02 PM. Reason: descriptive title
Old 05-07-16, 10:53 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

The horn problem could be the horn it self or the clock spring wiring in the steering column. Wipers maybe the switch is not working. Moon roof, if it was me I'd try the manual closing procedure to see if that works. Then start trouble shooting it. There are adjustments that can be made to lift or lower the roof but it needs to be completely closed first.
Old 05-07-16, 11:23 AM
Oceanic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
The horn problem could be the horn it self or the clock spring wiring in the steering column. Wipers maybe the switch is not working. Moon roof, if it was me I'd try the manual closing procedure to see if that works. Then start trouble shooting it. There are adjustments that can be made to lift or lower the roof but it needs to be completely closed first.
I can't seem to find the manually closing procedure online, I called the dealership and the guy wasn't able to provide any answers or pull a owners manual for me. Do you personally know the procedure or have a link you could send me?
Old 05-07-16, 11:30 AM
Oceanic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Oceanic
I can't seem to find the manually closing procedure online, I called the dealership and the guy wasn't able to provide any answers or pull a owners manual for me. Do you personally know the procedure or have a link you could send me?
Also, how do I adjust the rear height? I tried to re-arrange the metal shims that are between the bolts and nuts and almost rounded off the threads trying to squeeze the nut back on
Old 05-07-16, 02:03 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

This is what the owners manual says to do.
Step 1, Remove the lens from the personal lamp. (That's the courtesy light near the rear view mirror)
Step 2, Unscrew the 3 screws inside with a screw driver.
Step 3, Remove the switch base and remove the screw inside. (it is pictured as a screw with a washer and some spacers in the middle of a round drive lug with a lever looking thing near it.)

It is showing to use the L shaped screw driver for the steps below.
Step 4, To close: Close the moon roof by hand as far as it will go. Then insert the screwdriver into the hole (that the other screw was removed from) and turn the drive shaft counter clockwise until the moon roof is completely closed.

To lower: Insert the screw driver into the hole and turn the drive shaft clockwise until the rear end of the moon roof is completely lowered.
==================================================================================
If you are out of threads for adjustment then there is something wrong with the track or rollers, did some one put a lot of weight on it? To really access any of the major parts up there means pretty much removing a lot of interior parts and removing the head liner, I think the seats can stay in but lots of other plastic moldings have to come out.
Or some timing could be out alignment with that drive and motor control, I'll have to look and see if there is an ecu for the moon roof ?

There is a switch cam that needs to be in proper alignment and that would make the motor not close or open it correctly. looked in the book......

Last edited by dicer; 05-07-16 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-07-16, 04:40 PM
Oceanic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
This is what the owners manual says to do.
Step 1, Remove the lens from the personal lamp. (That's the courtesy light near the rear view mirror)
Step 2, Unscrew the 3 screws inside with a screw driver.
Step 3, Remove the switch base and remove the screw inside. (it is pictured as a screw with a washer and some spacers in the middle of a round drive lug with a lever looking thing near it.)

It is showing to use the L shaped screw driver for the steps below.
Step 4, To close: Close the moon roof by hand as far as it will go. Then insert the screwdriver into the hole (that the other screw was removed from) and turn the drive shaft counter clockwise until the moon roof is completely closed.

To lower: Insert the screw driver into the hole and turn the drive shaft clockwise until the rear end of the moon roof is completely lowered.
==================================================================================
If you are out of threads for adjustment then there is something wrong with the track or rollers, did some one put a lot of weight on it? To really access any of the major parts up there means pretty much removing a lot of interior parts and removing the head liner, I think the seats can stay in but lots of other plastic moldings have to come out.
Or some timing could be out alignment with that drive and motor control, I'll have to look and see if there is an ecu for the moon roof ?

There is a switch cam that needs to be in proper alignment and that would make the motor not close or open it correctly. looked in the book......
Its likely someone put a lot of weight on it, I bought it from some sketchy guy, who owns a sketchy shop, and all its been is mechanical problems. Day one of buying it the studs snapped, a couple days after the dif went, and now I'm replacing bushings and rotors, the sunroof and wiper problem. Surprisingly the motor and tranny are pretty solid, still doing a huge tune up in the near future to make sure it stays that way though.