LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Fuel Leak PLEASE HELP !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-16, 04:01 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by DreDawg81
Really ?? Even the dealer uses after-market parts? YIKES.... This is definitely the last time It see's a dealer.....My worries have been calmed so next time (if theres a next time) I have an issue I will take it to my friends shop.
On information Toyota and Lexus dealers enter into franchise agreements with the manufacturer precluding procurement of non-OEM parts for repairs of their brand. (unless they can't obtain from OEM) The reasons are manifold. However, as Lexus is an autonomous brand in the U.S., the Toyota only dealer will not sell Lexus specific parts to Joe Q
Public. I am aware of circumstances where Toyota sold a used 2005 LX300 where they failed to disclose the heat did not work...and then later said it just needed a coolant system flush. When I recommended a Lexus analysis, the customer learned a $2,000 part plus removal of dash..11 hours labor.
You need $3 worth of parts (2 different crush washets) from Lexus and a 22mm open end wrench. As the fuel regulator is located in the fuel tank, it is extremely unlikely the fuel regulator is leaking in the engine compartment. (Notwithstanding the fuel regulator is elsewhere, was it at all tested?..if so how?)You want to spend $500? P.M. me.. Perhaps you will share the Toyota bill with members.
Old 02-29-16, 04:21 PM
DreDawg81
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
On information Toyota and Lexus dealers enter into franchise agreements with the manufacturer precluding procurement of non-OEM parts for repairs of their brand. (unless they can't obtain from OEM) The reasons are manifold. However, as Lexus is an autonomous brand in the U.S., the Toyota only dealer will not sell Lexus specific parts to Joe Q
Public. I am aware of circumstances where Toyota sold a used 2005 LX300 where they failed to disclose the heat did not work...and then later said it just needed a coolant system flush. When I recommended a Lexus analysis, the customer learned a $2,000 part plus removal of dash..11 hours labor.
You need $3 worth of parts (2 different crush washets) from Lexus and a 22mm open end wrench. As the fuel regulator is located in the fuel tank, it is extremely unlikely the fuel regulator is leaking in the engine compartment. (Notwithstanding the fuel regulator is elsewhere, was it at all tested?..if so how?)You want to spend $500? P.M. me.. Perhaps you will share the Toyota bill with members.
The same picture I posted here I showed to the tech. They said they would not go off my diagnosis and would have to do their own and then let me know the cost of repairs and if I decided not to get it done I was on the hook for a diagnostic fee. I was confident that it ws the fuel pressure regulator because I could see it and another member here also thought it was that. They called today and they also think its that piece I took the picture of and posted. I dont mind sharing the bill. I wont get the car until Wednesday night. The part was order but its in California and wont be here until Tuesday. They said it will be ready tomorrow but my daughter has dance Tuesday and i have work so trying to get it tomorrow will be too much of a hassle. I will have to wait until Wednesday. Apparently they said they are charging me for the Fuel pressure regulator and gaskets. The piece I circled is in the engine bay, not the fuel tank. I will PM you......
Old 02-29-16, 05:15 PM
pmarr
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure about where you live but there are plenty of Japanese repair shops near or around where I live. Through research I found a former Lexus mechanic who has his own shop. He had me under the lift, went through things that yes, should be fixed, and stuff that meh, not life threatening. Shop prices are 30% or more that the cats at Red Sun Automotive. Hope you can find someone reputable!
Old 02-29-16, 05:52 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by DreDawg81
The same picture I posted here I showed to the tech. They said they would not go off my diagnosis and would have to do their own and then let me know the cost of repairs and if I decided not to get it done I was on the hook for a diagnostic fee. I was confident that it ws the fuel pressure regulator because I could see it and another member here also thought it was that. They called today and they also think its that piece I took the picture of and posted. I dont mind sharing the bill. I wont get the car until Wednesday night. The part was order but its in California and wont be here until Tuesday. They said it will be ready tomorrow but my daughter has dance Tuesday and i have work so trying to get it tomorrow will be too much of a hassle. I will have to wait until Wednesday. Apparently they said they are charging me for the Fuel pressure regulator and gaskets. The piece I circled is in the engine bay, not the fuel tank. I will PM you......
Ask the repair shop to return the old parts..and a list of new replacement parts they used....before you pay for work.

Call Lexus parts department and ask them to provide you with upper and lower crush washer P.N.'s(they are different) and fuel damper P.N. BEFORE you pay Toyota for work. In the off chance they acquired parts from Autozone, demand correct OEM parts be installed.
As the manufacturer of Lexus, Toyota should be held accountable.

The fuel damper has a botton on top that resembles a screw head. If not extended then defective...

How was it tested?

If one was defective, then how did they determine the second was not defective? Pin them down.

There is a $490 Toyota estimate presented earlier in this blog. The fuel damper is $80 -$100 from Lexus....

It required 20 minutes to change both crush washers..which included the time to remove and reinstall top engine cover, disconnect and reconnect negative post on battery and remove and reinstall gas cap.

This should be no more than $175 repair, even at Lexus.

If Toyota bills you $490, let's post it here as a warning to others.(redact your personal info)
Old 02-29-16, 06:16 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

31.79 for one brand, and 46.79 for another brand of fuel damper at Rock auto. So you have the potential to do the whole job for under 60.00, you may even get it for the same price locally try Napa. Oh and many times you get a surprise and the part is an original from the Lexus parts supplier but for way less than the dealer. I wish I could do the job for 400. plus for ya I could use the money. If I was a flat rate dealer tech this is the sort of jobs I would want all day long everyday. If flat rate said its a 1 hour job, I could get my 8 hours pay all done in 1.5 hours or so.
It doesn't matter what dealer you go to, if you want the car done today and not sit for a week or two, because no dealer parts has it in stock, then they will go to Napa or who ever to get the part.

Last edited by dicer; 02-29-16 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-16-16, 04:04 AM
EAbeck09
Driver School Candidate

Can someone please help me ASAP! Tired of gas fume induced headaches!! Found the leak coming from small plastic piece that a 90 degree angle that's attached the the fuel pump under back seat, have researched this for HOURS just to find what it's called so I know what to purchase! Quick connect?? Fuel pump assembly?? Fuel pump housing?? Geez please let me know what this plastic piece/ plastic house is called and what size for my 97 Lexus ES 300?? PLEASE!!
Old 05-16-16, 04:22 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

We are LS400 here.
Here is where to go for your ES300

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...1990-2006-179/
Old 04-26-17, 07:49 AM
MikeHobbs
Driver School Candidate

Default Same problem

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Ask the repair shop to return the old parts..and a list of new replacement parts they used....before you pay for work.

Call Lexus parts department and ask them to provide you with upper and lower crush washer P.N.'s(they are different) and fuel damper P.N. BEFORE you pay Toyota for work. In the off chance they acquired parts from Autozone, demand correct OEM parts be installed.
As the manufacturer of Lexus, Toyota should be held accountable.

The fuel damper has a botton on top that resembles a screw head. If not extended then defective...

How was it tested?

If one was defective, then how did they determine the second was not defective? Pin them down.

There is a $490 Toyota estimate presented earlier in this blog. The fuel damper is $80 -$100 from Lexus....

It required 20 minutes to change both crush washers..which included the time to remove and reinstall top engine cover, disconnect and reconnect negative post on battery and remove and reinstall gas cap.

This should be no more than $175 repair, even at Lexus.

If Toyota bills you $490, let's post it here as a warning to others.(redact your personal info)
The fuel pulse damper on my '98 LS400 began to leak on the way home late one holiday night. I checked on line and found none available locally until I contacted PepBoys (of all places) and, sure enough, they had the part with the crush washers included. Price $31. The store that had it in stock was only 2 mi. from my house. Drove over, got it, and did the installation. It was only a 15 min. job. Like others, I waited for the engine to cool, worked in the open air, removed the gas filler cap, but did not pull the fuel pump fuse. An adjustable wrench fitted easily. Put rags under the pulse regulator to catch the small amt. of gas that came out. It's a very simple process that anyone can do. The hardest part was loosening the old part. It was really on there tightly. The only disadvantage of the new part v. the old is that the top of the new one is sealed. I don't know whether the Lexus OEM replacement part is still closed with a gasket and screw. But, if the diaphragm fails in the future, I would see gas leaking from the top to show me. I don't know whether I'll then still be able to feel the "clicking" either. But, so far, so good.