LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Broke driver door handle

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-16, 02:21 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Broke driver door handle

Has anyone successfully fixed one? I'm giving it a go using JB weld, we'll see if it works and lasts. Gen 1
Did they improve them on the Gen 2's?
Old 07-15-16, 08:30 AM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

eBay. Typically you can find one painted and ready to go!

Mike
Old 07-15-16, 10:02 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

better to get a replacement than keep on band-aiding the situation, even if the handle is a different color. they are still susceptible to breaking on 2nd gens (but probably not as common) as my buddy 99 suffers from the same fate.
Old 07-15-16, 11:54 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
Has anyone successfully fixed one? I'm giving it a go using JB weld, we'll see if it works and lasts. Gen 1
Did they improve them on the Gen 2's?
For someone who goes on and on about treating these cars right and not doing things to detriment from their value and quality it's surprising to see you call for someone to mickey mouse a door handle....

OEM handles are reasonably priced and come painted. No 2nd gen handles will not fit.
Old 07-15-16, 12:07 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

I don't think the dealer has or can get them, can they? I'm fixing the OEM part, just like if you had a crack in some other part, I don't have a tig welder and even then it would likely get too hot and ruin the paint.
My fix will be more than just a dab of JB weld, I also plan to use a pin or some metal to help strengthen the area.
And whats saying the replacement you get from ebay will not also be on the way out? I guess they still maybe available from dealer and at those prices my $1000 wonder is not getting it. If it was a pristine collector quality car then yes.

Last edited by dicer; 07-15-16 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-15-16, 04:16 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

they are still available, and not overly expensive. IIRC 1st gen handles are about $110/each and come painted the correct color.

Your repair is unlikely to work, the handles get a good bit of stress.
Old 07-15-16, 07:31 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

They where $177 to 188 on the atlantic site. So where to get them for that? My dealer will likely double what the atlantic is.
And if you are going to use the car, even a new handle should get me JB treatment to re enforce that area. I'll keep you posted on how long it lasts.
And will take a photo of the fix.
Old 07-15-16, 11:10 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Off the subject,
does the 1997 rear door fit as 1998-2000? Looking to swap interior panel.
Old 07-16-16, 12:05 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by valex
Off the subject,
does the 1997 rear door fit as 1998-2000? Looking to swap interior panel.
It would be better to just start your own topic. If your topic takes over this one then I'll have to restart it then its just more mess. I hope the moderators do it for you. HINT
Old 07-16-16, 02:38 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

So other than just epoxy the rest of the fix is to use a cut off machine screw made from stainless and slightly bend the end to match the hook area with the hole for the pivot rod, and epoxy over it. That will make that area very strong.
Funny to call this a mickey mouse fix, when most people take these cars to a body shop and then they really get the mickey mouse treatment like bonded with epoxy body panels instead of welds and that sort of thing, the body shop quick fixes. With this fix I'm helping improve the pursuit of perfection trying to make a bad design work. There was no engineering done on these door handles, if so material thickness and strength would have been taken into account, its obvious it was not. So do the 2000 ls's have these handle problems or where they fixed?
Old 07-16-16, 04:18 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

they were fixed
Old 07-16-16, 05:10 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

My drivers for handle broke about a month ago and I changed it out with one I had laying around from a previous project. I had a difficult time getting the lock back in the handle. It just would not line up correctly.
Old 07-16-16, 05:48 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

i got mine from the dealer..painted and everything. get some new door panel clips tho
Old 07-17-16, 12:37 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by dicer
So other than just epoxy the rest of the fix is to use a cut off machine screw made from stainless and slightly bend the end to match the hook area with the hole for the pivot rod, and epoxy over it. That will make that area very strong.
Funny to call this a mickey mouse fix, when most people take these cars to a body shop and then they really get the mickey mouse treatment like bonded with epoxy body panels instead of welds and that sort of thing, the body shop quick fixes. With this fix I'm helping improve the pursuit of perfection trying to make a bad design work. There was no engineering done on these door handles, if so material thickness and strength would have been taken into account, its obvious it was not. So do the 2000 ls's have these handle problems or where they fixed?
With this fix I'm helping improve the pursuit of perfection trying to make a bad design work. There was no engineering done on these door handles, if so material thickness and strength would have been taken into account, its obvious it was not.

You have literally no idea what you're talking about. "No engineering"? Really? They lasted 15-20 years plus of consistent usage and you claim they were a defective design? Your expectations are unreasonable, as are you.

With your engineering skills better than the entirety of Toyota/Lexus, I eagerly await the release of your new car manufacturing company to show Toyota/Lexus/Everyone how to do it right.
Old 07-17-16, 01:05 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Puredrifter, all I need (is) the $ for that car company. Oh and I know of a lot of old GM cars whose door handles never break like the LS ones do. Isn't it funny the connecting rods that are engineered and use the correct cross section and material never seem to fracture on our LS's? And they have run just as many years and way more cycles of stress than the stupid driver door handle. Or pick anyother high stress part in the engine or transmission. The door handles are very lacking.

Last edited by dicer; 11-19-16 at 01:55 AM. Reason: changed it to is and added ()

Quick Reply: Broke driver door handle