LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1990 Celsior UCF11

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-15, 08:49 AM
Najeeh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was also wondering, will a LHD cluster with bezel fit into my RHD one. I have the one with the analog odometer and the speedo only goes to 180kph. Whenever I see the speedo I get the phobia I think we all had (it only goes 180?). I wanted to fit the kph/mph one or the kph one which goes to 280 with the digital odometer. Will it work?
Old 09-26-15, 08:55 AM
Yamae

Received 860 Likes on 649 Posts

The Celsior has so many electronics units and average mechanics can't fix it. Even dealers here only replace units next to next to troubleshoot. If you are an EE, it will be a fun to deal with those like I do. I'm a retired EE and I think I know the car a little more than average mechanics and I often help local indy shop owners who are friends of mine.

Enjoy fixing your Celsior. Regarding the tilt motor, it is often the case that the dusts from the brushes are bridging terminals and causing a bypass circuit. Most of the current goes that line and the rotor can't have enough current causing the motor's torque low. Cleaning inside often fixes the problem. But when the brushes or commutators are worn out, you need to replace them or the motor.
Old 09-26-15, 08:59 AM
Yamae

Originally Posted by Najeeh
I was also wondering, will a LHD cluster with bezel fit into my RHD one. I have the one with the analog odometer and the speedo only goes to 180kph. Whenever I see the speedo I get the phobia I think we all had (it only goes 180?). I wanted to fit the kph/mph one or the kph one which goes to 280 with the digital odometer. Will it work?
Sorry that I don't know that. You will be the first one to try.
Old 09-26-15, 09:02 AM
Najeeh
Rookie

Originally Posted by Yamae
The Celsior has so many electronics units and average mechanics can't fix it. Even dealers here only replace units next to next to troubleshoot. If you are an EE, it will be a fun to deal with those like I do. I'm a retired EE and I think I know the car a little more than average mechanics and I often help local indy shop owners who are friends of mine.

Enjoy fixing your Celsior. Regarding the tilt motor, it is often the case that the dusts from the brushes are bridging terminals and causing a bypass circuit. Most of the current goes that line and the rotor can't have enough current causing the motor's torque low. Cleaning inside often fixes the problem. But when the brushes or commutators are worn out, you need to replace them or the motor.
Well me and my father are EE's and plan to fix the car ourselves. The tilt motor goes down like it should, but doesn't go up. I read a hidden feature somewhere that if you push the directional button up or down 10 times the motor will move a few cm's further than the max. When I do this the motor goes up, but normally dosent. Not even in the auto tilt when I remove the key.

I wanted to see if I can change the cluster from this:

To This:

Last edited by Najeeh; 09-26-15 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-26-15, 09:18 AM
Yamae

Originally Posted by Najeeh
Well me and my father are EE's and plan to fix the car ourselves. The tilt motor goes down like it should, but doesn't go up. I read a hidden feature somewhere that if you push the directional button up or down 10 times the motor will move a few cm's further than the max. When I do this the motor goes up, but normally dosent. Not even in the auto tilt when I remove the key.

I wanted to see if I can change the cluster from this:
The lower photo is not for a LHD model but is for an Australian model. There were some Japanese guys who replaced from a JDM cluster to an Australian cluster. But I don't know those are direct replacement or not.

One more thing to inform you. A JDM ECU limits the speed up to 180km/H.
Old 09-26-15, 10:17 AM
Najeeh
Rookie

The lower photo is not for a LHD model but is for an Australian model. There were some Japanese guys who replaced from a JDM cluster to an Australian cluster. But I don't know those are direct replacement or not.

One more thing to inform you. A JDM ECU limits the speed up to 180km/H.
I can live with the limited top speed or I'll find a way to unlimit it. I'll change the cluster if I can find one like that. Right now i'm trying to find out how to get the odometre, trip and speedometer working correctly and let the engine rev more than 2000rpm.

I did open the ecu today and found that the capacitors have not leaked. I did not get a chance to do the ripple test..

This is the condition of the ECU as of today

Old 09-26-15, 05:40 PM
Yamae

Electrolytic capacitors can't be checked by eyes. Aged ones loose the capacitance as well as increase the ESR in accordance with the Arrhenius equation. An Impedance analyser is the best tool to check or simply replace those since 25 years are long enough to loose the capability to remove the ripple if not QAS capacitors.

QAS capacitors were not used for the early version of LS400 since those capacitors were not released at the design stage of the car. But the early LS400 had some ECU problems when very cold due to the low activity of electrolytic capacitors. Then QAS capacitors were introduced as a countermeasure at very cold conditions but later on those caused the other problems corrosion of lead wires and leak-out liquid problems.

Regarding the cluster, you'd better to check voltage regulators inside. There isn't any document regarding those but an EE guy can analyse the unit.
Old 09-26-15, 10:37 PM
Najeeh
Rookie

Electrolytic capacitors can't be checked by eyes. Aged ones loose the capacitance as well as increase the ESR in accordance with the Arrhenius equation. An Impedance analyser is the best tool to check or simply replace those since 25 years are long enough to loose the capability to remove the ripple if not QAS capacitors.

QAS capacitors were not used for the early version of LS400 since those capacitors were not released at the design stage of the car. But the early LS400 had some ECU problems when very cold due to the low activity of electrolytic capacitors. Then QAS capacitors were introduced as a countermeasure at very cold conditions but later on those caused the other problems corrosion of lead wires and leak-out liquid problems.

Regarding the cluster, you'd better to check voltage regulators inside. There isn't any document regarding those but an EE guy can analyse the unit.
I have ordered new caps from digikey. I'll replace them as soon as I get them. I'll also check the cluster and see if it is an easy fix