LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Alignment necessary after strut replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-15, 12:04 PM
UNCJD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment necessary after strut replacement?

As much fun as it is riding down the interstate on Jell-O Shocks and having a big ol' car like the LS bounce around when I'm dancing to the prior owner's rap CDs at stoplights, I kind of don't want to kill myself yet and so I'm replacing all 4 struts. This is my first RWD car, and whenever I've done them on my FWD cars I've always had to get an alignment afterwards. Looking at where everything hooks up, the setup is of course way different. This car--abused as it was--was just aligned in April, according to a shop receipt I found stuffed in a map case. On the road, I could probably go to sleep and it would maintain a straight line on its own--so if I could maintain that after the strut replacement, that would be really, really cool. Yeah. That would be fantastic.
So...assuming I'm not in jail for killing a bunch of my neighbors when a spring pops off the compressor, am I in for an alignment? Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but I've poured a lot of money into the Emperor's medical needs here recently, and any prospective savings would greatly enhance domestic bliss.
Yes, I am going to return the rap CDs. Karma's a ******, and I'm more into rock and country.
The Emperor is a 1995 LS400...if that helps.
Old 09-25-15, 01:02 PM
Nishy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's always a good idea to get an alignment after you do any suspension work.
Old 09-25-15, 04:53 PM
AkumaUCF10
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You could probably get away with not doing it. I would think with the way the suspension is set up and how the shock bolts onto the lower control arm and the chassis it wouldn't be absolutely necessary. The upper and lower control arms are responsible for camber and castor so since you aren't touching any of those bolts in theory the camber and castor should remain the same.
However if your ride height changes in the chance that the replacement shocks are longer or shorter for some reason, it may change your alignment to some degree. Will it be noticeable, probably not. Will it cause abnormal tire wear, probably not. Is your alignment even good right now? I would bet not because driving over potholes, speed bumps, etc is gonna cause your alignment to go out of wack. So if you haven't had it done in a few years it might need it anyways
With that being said it is always a good idea to align your car every few years and after you do suspension work
Old 09-25-15, 06:51 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Don't take a chance. Sears does a free alignment check.
Old 09-25-15, 11:08 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Just don't let the alignment monkeys goof something up. There are a lot of people working on cars for a living that shouldn't be. I know someone that had a cars underside ruined by an alignment person.
Old 09-27-15, 03:58 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Yes. Especially so if you're replacing old, worn out shocks with new ones.

Anything that changes ride height and shock compression changes suspension geometry. If you don't believe me/us just know you're putting your tire tread and handling characteristics at risk for the cost of a $75 alignment.