LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Need Help! ABS and TRAC Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-16, 03:06 PM
aymaddemir
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need Help! ABS and TRAC Issue

Heya Fellas,

I own a 96LS400 Canadian Specs with Traction Controls

I had an accident lately, for which i replaced the whole rear suspension, and front passenger side balljoint.. (ABS Sensors are not replaced, neither looks damaged nor tested)

As soon as the incident happened, The ABS light came on and TRAC light blinks every 3times...

I tried to pull out ABS codes with the OBDII Scanner, couldn't get it.... Tried with some of the computer testing shops, couldn't get the codes out...

Tried alot searching on the internet.. Finally, thanks to LexLS.com...
the ABS light is constantly on, meaning there is a malfunction in ABS ECU.
the TRAC is pulling out code 43, which lies under ABS codes, meaning that there is a malfunction in TRAC Control System..

Any idea, what possibly the problem could be??
Are the ABS sensors gone bad? Due to a sudden jerk??

Note that the car skids a lot when the TRAC light blinks, but as soon as the light went off for 3seconds, doesnt matter how hard I press the gas, It doesn't skids.

Any ideas guys (
I'm out with this beast without traction..
Old 04-16-16, 09:49 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

So how come its OBD1 codes on a 96? I do not have info for a 96. Your first thing to do is to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes or so and see if it clears the codes. And since you did open the brake lines you very likely need to bleed all the air from the ABS unit and the Trac unit its kind of a tricky procedure, they have to be powered up to do it.
Old 04-18-16, 03:13 AM
aymaddemir
Driver School Candidate

I have OBD1 and OBD2 as well.. I already disconnected battery couple of times over the year, still no luck... My first doubt it that when I changed the whole rear suspension.
Is there any kind of difference between the differentials which comes in LS400...

I have seen many LS400's without TRAC option, I just don't know if they install a NON-TRAC suspension unit.
Is there any additional sensor of any kind of different harnesses in TRAC units.?
Old 04-18-16, 02:40 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
So how come its OBD1 codes on a 96? I do not have info for a 96. Your first thing to do is to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes or so and see if it clears the codes. And since you did open the brake lines you very likely need to bleed all the air from the ABS unit and the Trac unit its kind of a tricky procedure, they have to be powered up to do it.
Non-US market car i my guess, otherwise all north american cars SAE spec OBDII.

Euro and JDM have different communication standards that are similar, but not identical, to OBDII.
Old 04-18-16, 02:53 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Trac has nothing to do with the suspension or the rear end gears. It works in concert with the ABS system to apply the brakes and stop or slow a wheel that spins do to loss of traction. Did you even read my above post?
Its most likely a bleed the air out of the system, and that is the first thing to do since a battery disconnect doesn't do anything.

And no special trac sensors, it uses the ABS ones and engine rpm and ecu info. there is a special trac throttle position sensor and that's about it.
Old 02-25-17, 11:24 AM
aymaddemir
Driver School Candidate

Thanks dicer.

I finally got it repaired from a local garage. The wirings of the sensor was broken due to jerks while accident happened.
Bled out the ABS motor with new brake fluid. Now the ABS and TRAC works like a champ!