LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

For discussion - Gear position indicator

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-14, 02:00 AM
qha_vn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For discussion - Gear position indicator

guys, anyone ever guesses what gear the car is in when driving? I am thinking of a DIY gear position indicator showing 1,2,3, or 4 when tranny shifts. It would add driving fun and can be used to know if tranny works normally.

this pix is from tranny repair manual

I did connect a multimeter to DLC2 pins TT and E1 to monitor voltage when driving and it really works as described.

I am a beginer about DIY electronics. to do this, simply translate the voltage into gear position and display it.

I am going to do that and provide build process here. This threat is for any idea about it, placement of gear indicator, 7 segment led or an LCD etc. just anything
Old 02-02-14, 04:51 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

there used to be one available in the JDM market for '98-00 cars. google is your friend here. Personally I don't see the benefit, and feel it will look tacky/bodged if you don't make it look OEM.
Old 02-02-14, 05:49 PM
Yamae

Received 852 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by qha_vn
This threat is for any idea about it, placement of gear indicator, 7 segment led or an LCD etc. just anything
In order to that, the most simple and easy way would be to use a PIC micro controller with a 7 segments LCD display. Or to use a traditional method which uses window comparators and a seven segment driver/display. Oh, there's a more simple way. Just read the voltage using a high impedance analog voltage meter as you did and detect the gear position.

But what is the benefit for you to do it? Is your car causing an AT shifting problem intermittently and you need to confirm it?

The tachometer and the speedometer would be enough for me. Even without them, eyes and ears are giving me the status of the car. I'd rather watch outside while driving for my safety.
Old 02-02-14, 06:28 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

Thanks guys for sharing

benefit? for me is DIY, messing up with things and eventually get something out of it. its my hobby.

not only gear position, my list is now with inside/outside temperature, air/fual ratio lean/rich/ close loop indicator, coolant temp and more to come.

I do some search and found gear indicator OEM build on IS250. I believe mazda 3 AT has it as well. it gives the car sporty look and feel.

Originally Posted by Yamae
In order to that, the most simple and easy way would be to use a PIC micro controller with a 7 segments LCD display. Or to use a traditional method which uses window comparators and a seven segment driver/display. Oh, there's a more simple way. Just read the voltage using a high impedance analog voltage meter as you did and detect the gear position.
Thanks Yamae, I did mess up with PIC some time ago but I found it too hard for me in both making sure all basic electronic components (crystal, caps, microcontroller...) work properly and the software. I have changed to arduino which is a lot easier for me.

please continue sharing

Last edited by qha_vn; 02-03-14 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-03-14, 07:14 AM
qha_vn
Pole Position

I disassemble the cluster today. to my suprise, there is plenty of space inside it for additional indicators so that they look OEM.

in this image, I place a 7-segment led going to be gear position indicator. what do you think about it?

Old 02-03-14, 08:19 AM
Yamae

Received 852 Likes on 644 Posts

Thing are all written in Japanese but those photos at the page below may give you some ideas.
http://celsiorup.com/custom20/2046shifmoni3.htm
Old 02-03-14, 09:22 AM
qha_vn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Yamae
Thing are all written in Japanese but those photos at the page below may give you some ideas.
http://celsiorup.com/custom20/2046shifmoni3.htm
oh so i am not alone. thanks Yamae. wording doesnt matter, the pics work great.
Old 02-14-14, 08:12 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

first prototype is in testing process. I ran the car today with the indicator on top of dashboard. It shows gear position exactly at gear shifting time, 1 to 4

Question: when is 3rd lock-up and 4th lock-up engaged? I notice, 3rd lock-up engaged momenterily once. but 4th lock-up never.

I also completed inside and outside temperature & humi (inside only) that shows on an 16x2 LCD screen. will take some pictures shortly.
Old 02-14-14, 08:23 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

need discussion on how to display gear indicator?

1- placement:
I will definitely "hack" into the cluster and put the 7 segment behind the cluster lens. it igives OEM look. your idea?

my friend wants it "inserted" to one of the warning lights on the cluster trim (bezel) it will give 3D refection look just like the /warning lights. your idea?

2- color:
I got red just because its available for me. i think white led will be the best as it would give a perfect match. your idea?

3- display?
I got 4 digit 7 segment leds, so I will display 1,2,3,4 from left to right. it gives feeling of up and down shifting. a friend of mine wants it displayed in 1 led only. your idea?

Thats it for now. feeling happy
Old 02-14-14, 09:29 PM
Sewpra
Rookie

If you can get it to look OEM as PD mentioned, I think it would be a cool little mod personally.
Old 02-25-14, 11:07 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

Guys, i just completed the mod, follow the below link for youtube video of gear indicator "in action".

i used red led cos its readily available, my preference is white, or at least blue to follow OEM color coding standards :-). change to white led is simple, I will change when it arrives. going to start a build log with all parts and where to buy it so people of interest can do.

Old 02-26-14, 12:04 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Congrats on getting it going and props for seing it through to the end. Much respect.

That being said, not sure if i'm 100% to do it on my LS
Old 02-26-14, 01:07 AM
qha_vn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Congrats on getting it going and props for seing it through to the end. Much respect.

That being said, not sure if i'm 100% to do it on my LS
Thank you PureDrifter, i hope it would give an idea of how far mod can be done with tiny microcontrollers as hobbiests
Old 02-26-14, 05:32 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

whoa this reminds me of my undergrad engineering lab! good work! what microcontroller are you using?
Old 02-26-14, 05:54 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
whoa this reminds me of my undergrad engineering lab! good work! what microcontroller are you using?
Thanks, I am putting together all information and post it here shortly.

Quick Reply: For discussion - Gear position indicator