LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1994 ls 400

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-14, 12:05 PM
durec
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 ls 400

Afternoon, we took our 400 into the shop for a state inspection. Same shop that traditionally does all of our work. Good mechanic, uses common sence. The 400 just turned 200K miles.

We have had a nagging problems with several things and the mechanic said that it's to the point where there are fearful to pass it any longer due to the following...they recomended that we get rid of it and get something else to drive. Issues...1) the driver power window switch only works when you pull the "trigger" back right...then it may go up...goes down fine, 2) heater doesn't always blow warm air...coolant level is ok though, 3) truck panel night light bulb socket has been singed and doesn't work, 4) power steering pump leaks onto alternator and all three of its hoses need replacing, and 5) idle vacuum switch needs replacing. Mechanic felt that the costs for all of the above is far more than the car is worth.

Thoughts?
Old 01-21-14, 01:10 PM
Boxcuta
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The heater problem could be an easy fix. Are you running Toyota radiator fluid? (Red) Have you ever flushed the radiator and filled up while running?
Old 01-21-14, 01:34 PM
SammyRed
Driver School Candidate

Default Have great fix idea!

LOL... Sell it to me... cheap!

On a more serious note, wait a few hours till LSCowboyLS logs on. He's very knowledgable about all these LS400 issues and more than likely can suggest ways to fix most, if not all the problems. I know for a fact, after reading a few of his posts, that the power steering fluid leak is very common on all 90's LS and more than likely a simple O-ring replacement. I just bought a 94 SL myself about 6 weeks ago. Have had to cap off steering fluid 3 times now. Am going to replace O-ring this weekend.

Another common problem with this vehicle is leaky capacitors on the ECU board which causes all kinds of mayham... possibly even some of your issues. Again, I'm new to this, Cowboy usually answers post questions like yours most every evening. I'm sure he'll have some good tips for you. Hope that they are small, fixable issues... these are awesome rides that you should enjoy well into 400k mile territory.

Good luck,
Sammy
Old 01-21-14, 02:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

find a better mechanic and buy the parts online.

the PS high pressure hose can be rebuilt
the bulb socket can be had from a junked car
burp the coolant, no repair needed other than that to get the heat working.
Old 01-21-14, 02:48 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Wow I guess that mechanic only likes to do inspections and work on cars that they are familiar with.... Everything you mentioned has been well documented on these forums. most notably the power steering leak. Do a little reading and ask some questions and you will be amazed. Make sure to buy ALL your parts online besides the stuff that you can most likely get at the junk yard.

Last edited by sha4000; 01-30-14 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-21-14, 07:25 PM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a 94 LS400 with 199k.......get a genuine timing belt/waterpump kit with a thermostat also.....be sure to use oem parts
Old 01-21-14, 09:31 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

the power steering leak may be nothing more than the $3 o-ring between the reservoir and pump - just because hoses are wet with fluid, doesn't mean they are leaking - in any case, fix that problem before all others, regardless of where the leaks are, because it WILL quickly kill your alternator (I killed mine!)

by the way, there are high pressure PS hoses (all 3, which is really just 1 really large long hose) for all of $26 on ebay, so even if "all 3 high pressure hose sections" were leaking, AND the o-ring, you are looking at a whopping $30 in parts - tell that mechanic to go take a long walk on a short pier!
Old 01-30-14, 12:42 PM
durec
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to everyone for the wealth of information. Questions: Will the red radiator fluid help...and whats the benefit over traditional antifreeze? 2) where is the best sites to find parts online and how can I make sure that the 0 rings I see are extactly whats needed, and 3) does anyone know if there are any actual links on this forum to photos or videos that show how to repair?

Sorry for all of the novice questions...just that I am used to working on my old dodge trucks and have never explored in the world of the wife's ride......Lexus

Appreciate the help
Old 01-30-14, 12:58 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Questions: Will the red radiator fluid help...and whats the benefit over traditional antifreeze?
Toyota red long life coolant will cause your radiator to last almost forever - and all of your other cooling system components, i.e. water pump, thermostat, heater core will also gain extended life - especially if the red was always used throughout the car's life

2) where is the best sites to find parts online and how can I make sure that the 0 rings I see are extactly whats needed, and
Sewell Lexus, Park Place Lexus, Lexus of South Atlanta, and Lexus Parts Now all offer a ~25% discount on parts compared to the dealership, and sometimes much more discount than that, given that many Lexus dealership gouge the list prices even higher.

3) does anyone know if there are any actual links on this forum to photos or videos that show how to repair?
the o-ring sits right between the reservoir and the pump - the Lexus/Toyota part number is 90301-11016

it is marked 44362A in the photo below:

1994 ls 400-blksbzj.jpg
Old 01-30-14, 01:49 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Funny... here in TX none of those things would have been looked at during a state inspection, Horn, brakes, wipers, lights and no CEL on are the big things. Surprised they to into such depths in VA...
And while it appears things are adding up, with the help of this sight those issues can easily be dealt with.
If you like the car, enjoy the ride, and love saving money then put a few hundred into it and avoid having to make car payments and paying higher insurance.

and lexls.com has some good video tutorials for this car.
Old 02-04-14, 07:54 PM
durec
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again...a wealth of info!
Old 02-05-14, 05:25 AM
Yotarip
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What part of VA are you in. I'm parting out my 93 ls400 at this very moment. (keeping the engine and trans).
My window switch works fine and I have the light harness.

BTW I'm in Richmond.
Old 02-05-14, 06:21 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
find a better mechanic and buy the parts online.

the PS high pressure hose can be rebuilt
the bulb socket can be had from a junked car
burp the coolant, no repair needed other than that to get the heat working.

especially the new mechanic statement!