LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

97 and older LS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-13, 08:06 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 97 and older LS?

My son has my old 94 Fleetwood, and although it runs fantastic for a 250k mile car, the body is dying (northern rust...), not a rust bucket, but the floorboards have finally had it in front. Love the car, but he is thinking it is best to sell it and get something without much rust.

After seeing how well my 98 GS is for a solid drivetrain, thinking a mid 90's LS might be a decent car for the $. See plenty of surprising good shape LS's with under 200k on them that are not showing any signs of rust outwardly.

Given the same $ to buy a GM car, likely would get a problem child with stupid things wrong or broken or just plain full of headaches that someone else wouldn't fix and sent it on to someone else. The LS seems better $/value of the car than a Grand AM or Grand Prix or Impala (just plain cheap cars) or Cadillac Deville (blown head gaskets) or .... You see what I mean. My 2000 Park Ave Ultra has done pretty well for 200k miles, but it still can't hold a candle to how my GS400 has done me in the last 2 years (202k miles). You would never know my car is 2 years older than my Buick and 2k miles more. The GS400 looks new in comparison.

Thoughts on things to avoid (like the air suspension cars) or things that might be why someone is selling a LS?

Really don't want a dealer car, only a private party car. Anyone have one here too for sale (we are west of Chicago) let me know. Not looking for a cream puff car with 50k miles obviously.

I know some say a teen can't afford a Lexus, maybe, if is a problem child car we don't it anyway. But looking at the similar priced GM cars (or Fords, won't do Chyslers), or rusty Merc or crazy expensive to fix BMW, being realistic the Lexus might be the best deal going.
Old 11-12-13, 09:56 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

LS400 is popular because these cars drive and ride well, and are very reliable as far as the very expensive systems that plague many cars (engine, transmission, A/C)

however, a mid 90's car is like almost 20 years old and so it will have some issues, even the rarified LS400

the typical issues are:

strut rod bushings
upper control arms
lower EGR pipe
ECU capacitors
transmission mount
motor mounts
power steering leaks
idle air control valve
starter

none of these are expensive if you are a good do-it-yourselfer!
Old 11-12-13, 10:25 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

the only think i can think of as to why folks sell their LS is due to gas mileage where the car requires premium fuel as well. it's not a car to save gas on that's for sure but the comfort and reliability you get in return is worth it for me.

the timing belt is usually the most expensive maintenance job on these cars (~ $1500). if you really just want to beat around and take your chances, get a 90-94 model where the engine is non-interference. i see high mileage 90-94 models go for $2k or less so you should find one in no time.

FYI, your GS400 has the same motor as a 98-00 LS400. older LS models lack a 5th gear and VVTi.
more: http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html
Old 11-12-13, 10:28 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

The Toyota is a good choice for teens also... The Avalon is a sturdy vehicle that has excellent reliability numbers and a little cheaper to own than a Lexus.... Hate to spoil a teen with a Lexus... whatever they get next would be a downgrade... Hard to start at the top sometimes.
You're realizing the quality of the the Toyotas over the domestics... and it is pretty significant....
When you can get a car engineered to the tune of over $50k for less than $10k... with the proven reliability of the Lexus... that's a win in my book.
Old 11-12-13, 11:51 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

We have already corrupted him for tasting better. We had a 91 Bonneville LE when he was born, went to a 91 Cadillac Sedan DeVille, then a 94 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (has only 4 options missing from the whole car, includes the 7000 lb tow package, this is his car now) and I have a 98 Lexus GS400, my wife has my old 2000 Buick Park Ave Ultra. Once I got the Buick, I can tell you, it isn't a Cadillac.... but Cadillac's today are nothing like the older Cadillac's when it comes to luxury. The GS isn't exactly a luxury car, but I didn't buy it for one either. I wanted V8 RWD sport sedan. Have no regrets with buying a Lexus. I have got to a point where I just want flagship cars.... My next is either a 05-06 LS430 or a 07-up LS460. But that likely won't be for several years down the road.

I don't mind DIY work, I prefer it than paying someone I don't trust 100% with doing something I can do myself, and I would use much better care with my car than a stranger trying to scam me out of parts I don't need to make a fast buck. I know of too many shops taking advantage of people....

I am not a Toyota fan, never have been, but the Lexus has changed my mind on quality from them. With GM I can do the work myself, but I have just done too much work over the years. Work I shouldn't NEED to do (over and over and over again....) Stupid things have soured me from GM and Ford (I won't touch Chrysler). I WANT a Audi A8/S8, but the same problem, quality and insane price to repair things like 100k transmission rebuilds.... And Merc's just rust.....

If you want a E55 AMG Mercedes that doesn't rust? Buy a Lexus GS400/GS430....

Last edited by RamAirRckt; 11-12-13 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-12-13, 12:12 PM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cant really beat older 90s model lexus and subaru in the drivablity and reliability aspects!

i paid 1700 for mine with 130k and would have gladly paid 2500 for it if it had better paint and all working gauge cluster lights

its easy to find a low priced, decent mile one that just needs a few DIY jobs to be up to par in most places =]
Old 11-12-13, 04:05 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

If anyone sees one in the Chicagoland (and west) area let me know, looking around for one.
Old 11-12-13, 08:27 PM
tjschraf
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is a terrific car to own. Have you considered lincoln town cars, grand marquis, and crown vics? All good bang for your buck.

I ultimately chose the LS because lexus quality had proven itself to me. Except for my newer one.

Mine is tentatively and unwillingly for sale abruptly due to a job change. 139k, 1995, with a lot of battle scars and a strong drivetrain. I am likely going to give it to my brothers family. I just love these things.
Old 11-12-13, 10:59 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Not sure on Ford Panther chassis cars, will give it a look. I did ponder a Marauder when I was looking a couple years ago, but the cost was out of hand for the Merc Grand Marquis with a Crown Vic nose and better gears.

What is Ford reliability and mpg like? Would ilke at LEAST mid 20's highway, prefer 25-30 highway. The LS's seem to do it if driven reasonable. But will the Panther cars?
Old 11-13-13, 12:45 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Legender
Hate to spoil a teen with a Lexus... whatever they get next would be a downgrade... Hard to start at the top sometimes.
Ironically, today is my 17th birthday (and in two days, it will be a year since we owned the car)...

That being said, I believe an ES300 is a good start for a first car from Lexus. Why? For starts, it's a Lexus so most people will be slightly jealous. Is it the flagship? Not really - it's just a glorified Camry. Some advantages are better gas mileage, contemporary appearance (it's all about the curvy/aggressive head lights), leather interior, potentially lower insurance, and more of the Toyota reliability you have come to love.

Originally Posted by RamAirRckt
Not sure on Ford Panther chassis cars, will give it a look. I did ponder a Marauder when I was looking a couple years ago, but the cost was out of hand for the Merc Grand Marquis with a Crown Vic nose and better gears.

What is Ford reliability and mpg like? Would ilke at LEAST mid 20's highway, prefer 25-30 highway. The LS's seem to do it if driven reasonable. But will the Panther cars?
Well, one possible alternative is to find an ex-police interceptor. On the upside, you get a tuned(?) motor, high output alternator (if you like audio), ram bar, optional spot light, and the ability to clear the road wherever you go

Last edited by Sc0pe; 11-13-13 at 01:08 AM.
Old 11-13-13, 08:09 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Problem with the Panther platform (Crown Vic/Merc Marauder/Merc Marquis/Town Car) is they aren't that great on mpg at all (using fueleconomy.gov as guide). The LS is much better. And lighter, and with smaller more efficient engine.

Not sure on the ES, seems an ES and LS are nearly the same costs with higher miles on them. I think the LS would end up being the better deal, the ES likely better mph overall. But I would bet the LS would be a much longer lasting car.
Old 11-14-13, 07:46 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

He decided that he can drive his 94 Fleetwood all winter and then look at something else when it warms up, then he will have a lot more $ saved up for it. Maybe get a 98-00 LS instead. Or sell him my GS so I can get an LS....
Old 11-14-13, 07:50 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAirRckt
He decided that he can drive his 94 Fleetwood all winter and then look at something else when it warms up, then he will have a lot more $ saved up for it. Maybe get a 98-00 LS instead. Or sell him my GS so I can get an LS....
The only real advantage between a VVT-i LS400 and a VVT-i GS400, aside from the obvious body design is the aftermarket potential. That being said, if you want to modify, keep the GS, but if modifying isn't really your concern and you just want a solid daily, get the LS, and keep a minty 98-00 at the top of your want list.
Old 11-14-13, 08:29 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

I am not into modding more than the sway bars I have on the GS and 17" chrome 7 spokes (rare find).

I just have run into a few times in the last 2 years where the bigger car would have been beneficial. I drive it for commuting (1hr each way) so I wanted a V8 RWD sedan, mid size for lighter car and easier to maneuver.

GS has proven itself solid, will keep it for a long while unless something comes up. I hope to get a LS400 or LS430 for my wife to drive and replace the 00 Park Ave Ultra I have now.