LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Good Source for Used LS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-13, 06:42 AM
sayow
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Good Source for Used LS?

So as I have previously posted, I bought a very used one owner 1996 LS 400 with about 240k on the clock. At the same time I also purchased a much newer Jaguar with less miles and in much better shape.

That said and after driving both for a month, I am absolutely in love with the Lexus! The drive, the power, just the overall feel is nothing short of amazing for a car that is almost 18 years old with almost a quarter of a million miles! The only problem is that I have so fallen in love with the LS that I want one in better shape. Mine is mechanically solid, but with the cosmetic issues, it is just not worth putting money into.

I have researched a lot and have decided that I want a 98 or 99 LS in white or black with black or tan interior and low miles for the year (i.e. well under 150k and preferably under 100k). The problem is finding one. I have looked on craigslist and the pickings for nice models is slim. Other sites like cars, ebay and autotrader bring up almost nothing.

So two questions:

Does anyone have a good source for used LS models that fit my criteria? I am in the KC area but would travel inside 500 miles for the right car.

Secondly, any opinions on the best year of LS to own for reliability, features, etc? Would love opinions.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-13, 06:53 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

It's a timing thing...
most people that own these cars have money... and they don't mess with Craigslist or selling it themselves... usually trade it in and get a new one.
You have to be patient and wait for one to show up and then make your move.
I found I had to look every day using craigslist, autotrader and cars.com.
Dealer may have some, but you'll pay more.
At least you know what you want so you know what to look for. But it's not like shopping at Walmart... you have to wait for what you want, in the condition you want to show up. And 98-2000 is a good choice for options, reliability, MPG and performance. That is what most here will tell you.
Here is a nice example of a 96... this is what you should be looking for...though not your color:
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/4179477381.html

Good luck.
Old 11-14-13, 09:18 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

I have had better luck on ebay than craigslist, better quality of cars and far better photos, so I know the condition of the car before I get there! - bought my LS400 sight unseen 1000 miles away and it was like a new car!

If the driver's seat is like new, and the Autocheck is perfect, then you pretty much always have a creampuff
Old 11-14-13, 09:25 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Check the "Customer cars for sale" book at Exact Performance in Mission KS. I bought my 2000 LS400 in 2003 from a broker who owner Ben Bennett hooked me up with. Ben has been servicing our cars since around 1997.
Old 11-14-13, 11:01 AM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

my number one main source is craigslist, then autotrader, then ebay.

i try to avoid sites that have dealer listings since you'll be charged tax and fees if you decide to buy from them.
Old 11-14-13, 04:10 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by xtremex626
my number one main source is craigslist, then autotrader, then ebay.

i try to avoid sites that have dealer listings since you'll be charged tax and fees if you decide to buy from them.
This. But if you're looking for a cream puff and don't mind haggling, I wouldn't rule out the dealerships entirely. After all, we did find my car via eBay/Autotrader and managed to negotiate down from ~$14k to $7k, and dealer fees, over the course of a month.

Last edited by Sc0pe; 11-14-13 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-14-13, 06:22 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
we did find my car via eBay/Autotrader and managed to negotiate down from ~$14k to $7k, and dealer fees, over the course of a month.
tell us your techniques, even us seasoned negotiators like to hear others tricks when they get a car down to half of asking price
Old 11-14-13, 07:19 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
tell us your techniques, even us seasoned negotiators like to hear others tricks when they get a car down to half of asking price
Well, I'd have to ask my dad, but from what I understand, he initially messaged them on eBay first and offered them $10-12k (not really sure) and they declined. He tried that again but they still declined. After that, he resorted to giving them a phone call talking to them about it. Eventually he got the price down to $8-9k or so, and then he went to the dealership with my mommy and they managed to negotiate it further to $7k. Suffice to say, I was a very happy two-days-after-birthday boy that afternoon.

In my opinion, try doing the above in 2 week increments. It all really depends on how desperate the dealer is. That, and my car wasn't exactly a minty green LS. It had a nice, but minor, dent in the rear bumper,weird looking door mirrors (if you've ever pressed down on an LCD screen and saw the colors going into seizure mode, that's how my lenses look [some advice on a fix would get lots of love from your's truly]). The real kicker, though, is that the dealership didn't even know how to use the CD changer so my dad managed to knock even more off the price with that, then a few minutes after he bought it, he tried putting the CD in upside down, instead, and wham-bam thank you ma'am, it worked perfectly lol.

Last edited by Sc0pe; 11-14-13 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-14-13, 08:25 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scope, whats your age? If you dont mind me asking? I just read your sig.
Old 11-14-13, 09:30 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by usoff89
Scope, whats your age? If you dont mind me asking? I just read your sig.
Turned 17 as of yesterday (well, technically 2 days ago - 11/13). Today marks the 1 year anniversary of when we got my car :')
Old 11-14-13, 09:31 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
Turned 17 as of yesterday (well, technically 2 days ago - 11/13). Today marks the 1 year anniversary of when we got my car :')
Seriously?? Damn aren't you lucky to have a Lexus LS at that age!
Old 11-14-13, 09:35 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SynicalVip
Seriously?? Damn aren't you lucky to have a Lexus LS at that age!
Yeah, I agree. It was my parents' early graduation gift to me since that was my Senior year of high school.
Old 11-14-13, 10:16 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Well, I'd have to ask my dad, but from what I understand, he initially messaged them on eBay first and offered them $10-12k (not really sure) and they declined. He tried that again but they still declined. After that, he resorted to giving them a phone call talking to them about it. Eventually he got the price down to $8-9k or so, and then he went to the dealership with my mommy and they managed to negotiate it further to $7k.
This is a new one, each time they decline your offer, keep offering them less! - lol
Old 11-14-13, 10:49 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
This is a new one, each time they decline your offer, keep offering them less! - lol
It's not so much offering them less the next time, but just sort of waiting until the auction ends again, below reserve and being all "Hey! Remember me?" Eventually, they'll realize that their chances of selling the car at such a price are too low and they'll reduce it. Then offer, get rejected, let auction end, offer, rinse and repeat.
Old 11-15-13, 05:01 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I think it was the reality that got to them.(the sellers).. $14k was way too much for a 99... don't care how many miles are on it. And as Scope described, it wasn't perfect. I think no one was offering to pay more...so in the end they went with the high bidder.
Congrats to you... and yes, you are lucky that your parents would get you such a find car at such a young age. Seems you want to take care of it... and that is a good sign. Not all teens are of that mind set. And yes, you may well be the youngest LS owner on the forum.

Quick Reply: Good Source for Used LS?