LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Low Oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-13, 02:56 PM
RLind
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Oil

I drove from Orlando, Fl to Dallas, tx over the last 2 days. I had an oil change done last week in preparation for the long drive. While about 400 miles into it, my car started running pretty hot. Just under the red line on the temp gauge. I turned off the AC, and turned the heat on, and the temp came down to the normal range. I stopped for gas about 10 miles later, checked the coolant and it was fine, checked the oil and it was a little low, but still in the hatched area. Bought 2 quarts of 5w-30 just in case and left. About 200 miles later same thing happened, checked the oil and it was at the bottom of the dip stick. Added on of the quarts, and that seemed to fix the heating issue. Then as I was arriving in dallas it happened again, this time I didn't notice it until the oil light flickered once for maybe 5 seconds. I stopped at the next exit, this time the oil was below the end of the dip stick. I added the other quart I had. I have owned this car since 150,000 miles now 177,000, haven't lost any oil in that time. I was rummaging through my glove box looking for the receipt for the oil change to see what it was they added. Turns out they added 5w-20, when it says on the oil cap "5w-30 only"

1) should I have my engine inspected to see if any damage was done? I don't hear anything, and nothing significant happened apart from running hotter than usual.
2) given the heat of the region I was in, and the length of the trip, could the weight of the oil be the cause for the loss?
3) is the dealership responsible for putting the wrong oil in?

Sorry for how wordy this post is.
Old 06-15-13, 06:10 PM
j2b4o
Pole Position

I would check to make sure the filter and drain plug are nice and snugg. I wouldn't expect it to start burning oil like crazy just because its 20wt and not 30.
Old 06-15-13, 07:13 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

I have run 5w-20 and never had any problems with it. I would check for oil leaks. I would be concerned if my car was running through oil that quickly. I would have to guess you have something wrong with your car.
Old 06-15-13, 07:44 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

+1, get under the car to make sure. If the tech cheaped out and didn't replace the plug gasket, that is one possible area. The other is the oil filter.

The 5-20 isn't a concern.
Old 06-15-13, 08:02 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

this engine is actually back spec-ed by Toyota for 5W-20, so that is not your problem, and if it was, you would be leaving a trail of smoke like a mosquito truck!

you have a big plain old leak somewhere

no damage will be done as long as you keep topping it up and don't let the level become low enough to not register on the stick, but this needs to be found and fixed now, not later. Stay in the crosshatch to avoid damage.

+1 on all of the earlier comments about it likely being at the filter or the oil drain plug and/or gasket, there are some smart guys and gals in here!

Originally Posted by RLind
I turned off the AC, and turned the heat on, and the temp came down to the normal range.
smart move on your part, but if this ever happens again, keep rechecking the oil every hour or so, it doesn't need to ever get below the crosshatch

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 06-15-13 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-15-13, 11:39 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

A few years ago with 130,000 miles on my 91 I tried 5-20 and I kept smelling oil burning from the tailpipe. No kidding I could not believe it. Therefore i replaced it with 10-30 like ive always used . The smell was gone. Im a life long mechanic who learned it made a big difference. Crazy!
Old 06-16-13, 12:08 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
A few years ago with 130,000 miles on my 91 I tried 5-20 and I kept smelling oil burning from the tailpipe. No kidding I could not believe it. Therefore i replaced it with 10-30 like ive always used . The smell was gone. Im a life long mechanic who learned it made a big difference. Crazy!
I would suggest a full synthetic 5W-30, just as thick at operating temperature as 10W-30 but with the big advantage of being thinner with a cold engine, which gets the oil to critical engine parts faster, and that is important since the lion's share of engine wear occurs during warm-up. The higher gas mileage is just a bonus!
Old 06-18-13, 01:40 PM
RLind
Driver School Candidate

Default Solution found

Took to a shop today, they put the wrong filter on, and it was losing oil around the gasket. Now I am going to attempt to get the dealer to pay for:
1) repair at shop in dallas
2) refund of original oil change
3) refund for 4 quarts added over the last few days
4) inspection to make sure no internal damage was done.

Should be a good deal for them as they could be buying me a new engine
Old 06-18-13, 02:05 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Glad this turned out to be a simple fix. The dealer and the tech has little to no excuse for installing the wrong filter. Yeah it can happen but this is careless on the techs end. Especially if it has had factory filters, the part # is different and not hard to read the printing if they are conscious.

Most definitely bill them and with photo's of the wrong filter. Show us what filter or what part# they used, I'm curious.
Old 06-18-13, 03:51 PM
RLind
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RA40
Glad this turned out to be a simple fix. The dealer and the tech has little to no excuse for installing the wrong filter. Yeah it can happen but this is careless on the techs end. Especially if it has had factory filters, the part # is different and not hard to read the printing if they are conscious.

Most definitely bill them and with photo's of the wrong filter. Show us what filter or what part# they used, I'm curious.
They installed a PO-38. I have a photo and the actual filter. This morning was this first time i drove it since i got here saturday afternoon. And about 30 seconds after i started it, it started running really rough, smoking and check engine light came on and trac off light was flashing. I drove it about 2 miles to the shop. The shop i took it to said that the timing system runs off of oil pressure, so it was misfiring due to low oil pressure. The shop took care of those issues and it is running smoothly again, but Afer driving a short distance today, I noticed a sever lack of power at low rpms. There isn't any check engine light, and its not running rough. Any ideas? Going to take it to a dealership, to have them check it out. Hopefully they will pay for this too.
Old 06-18-13, 04:19 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I install the wrong filter on purpose, a different one every oil change! (then I cut them open and inspect the insides)

I like a bigger than stock filter, right now running a Motorcraft FL-400s (the s is for SILICON anti-drainback valve)
Old 06-18-13, 04:33 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Check the engine compartment for any disconnected cables/vacuum hoses, etc. The low oil should not have impacted the engine in this way. When they went back in to fix it, something got knocked loose. Check the coil wire near the oil filler cap and make sure it is properly seated on the coil.

Disconnect the neg battery cable for 30+ seconds to clear any codes. This will put the ECU back into default programming. You'll lose any stored seat memory, radio, etc. Take it for a drive then report back.
Old 06-18-13, 04:38 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I know a fairly deep amount about oil filters, and I have never even heard of a PO-38, wanna check that number again or post a pic? - Is it some crazy Chinese no-name thing? - then you may well have a case!
Old 06-18-13, 04:43 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
I install the wrong filter on purpose, a different one every oil change! (then I cut them open and inspect the insides)

I like a bigger than stock filter, right now running a Motorcraft FL-400s (the s is for SILICON anti-drainback valve)
Yeah but I know you are thorough to compare that the filter gasket is going to match with the original. Leaking won't be an issue.
Old 06-18-13, 04:56 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

dang, quit tellin all my secrets!!

you also have to compare bypass valve opening pressure

Quick Reply: Low Oil