LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Lexus or a Benz ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-02, 02:22 AM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Lexus or a Benz ?

Allright well, I'm sure this has been asked a lot of times already. But if one is given a choice between an LS and an S class which would you buy ?
I agree that LS has it's positives but at the end of the day I get the feeling that the benz was and always will be more of a status symbol where as lexus is just thought of as an upscale toyota.
Am I right or ... ?
Old 12-24-02, 09:40 AM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't believe you actually said something like that especially being a CL member. Lexus is not an upscale Toyota, it's the luxury division of Toyota. The word Lexus means "luxury" and "elegance." Lexus gives a big status symbol just like Benz. Don't get me wrong MB has been around for a long time, Lexus came on the scene about 12 years and they caught up to their competitors so they're doing damn good and just by the quality and reliability alone you have MB, BMW, etc.. coming over to Lexus. My opinion you probably will buy your S-Class., good luck, but when your on the roadside with your 'S' you'll see the LS pass you by and you'll say to your self damn I should've bought an LS...

Last edited by Lexozz; 12-24-02 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-24-02, 11:11 AM
Lvangundy

Yes. This has been discuxssed MANY times.

Here is a link to a thread posted a while back (one of many) about the s-class vs. the LS430.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=61536
Old 12-24-02, 11:41 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default DEPENDING ON WHICH S-CLASS YOU CHOOSE:

S600 > S55 > LS430 > S500 > S430

But the LS has better build quality and more reliable than ALL MB's.

MB's - better for a weekend toy/show off car.

Lexus - better daily driver/hassle free family transportation
Old 12-24-02, 11:49 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Don't buy the Mercedes. You'd be wasting your money. I have two friends with brand new Mercedes' and they've both got lots of complaints.. Actually, one just sold his.. Lots of silly repairs.. Mercedes has not been as good since going mainstream.. And the fact that Lexus has only been around for 12 years and runs with the big boys already should say something.. I don't own a Lexus yet, but I've been doing LOTS of research and I'm finding Lexus to be a great, great company..
Old 12-24-02, 12:52 PM
rybikowsky
Driver

Sal.Having owned six or seven mercedes over the years,and now my first lexus a ls400.I will offer some observations.!st the mercedes wins hands down on prestege with the masses.Everyone recognises a Mercedes.It does have great profile power.The Lexus might as well be invisable.It has no stand out feature.Most of the public just sees it as another car.Lexus really needs to do some work creating an identity.Everyone knows the three pointed star.Now having said that.The mercedes has higher resale Than the lexus.Thats good for the ones of us that want to buy a Lexus.The late model Mercedes,have had a lot of problems.Consumer reports has black dotted every one of the late models.The Lexus is outstanding.It is the number one car in the quality ratings.So if you want a lot of profile power,buy the Mercedes with the cost of upkeep that intails.If you want an outstanding auto.and could care less what others percive of your auto,get the Lexus
Old 12-24-02, 01:07 PM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

Lexoss,
no offence to CL, but I already own the LS therefore I'm loyal to lexus so no worries !
But even then Benz started production in late 1890s where as Toyota had it's debut in 1966. Lexus started off in 89. Dont you think an additional 100 years worth of prestige and engineering would have an upper hand ?
Old 12-24-02, 01:19 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Newest technology with spotty reliability means very little to most consumers.

They also rush their newest product out the market for guicker profits. How would you feel if you pay in the neighborhood of $80k to $100K and over for a brand new car only to be a car manufacturer's guinea pig. (Look at new 7 series as well as the first 2 year production cars of the S class)

Mercedes may have the newest technology, but that does not mean they build better cars
Old 12-24-02, 01:23 PM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

I agree, MB isnt what it used to be. But the W220 can't be compared with the W140.
Now 'Itauamkau', are you stating this from personal experience or is it Consumer Magazine talking ? (just kidding).
Old 12-24-02, 01:27 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Lexs400
But even then Benz started production in late 1890s where as Toyota had it's debut in 1966. Lexus started off in 89. Dont you think an additional 100 years worth of prestige and engineering would have an upper hand ?
Toyota Motor Corporation, Japan, was established in 1937 to manufacture and sell of cars and parts domestically.

Here's a pic of a Toyota from 1936, built as a 1937 model:
Attached Thumbnails Lexus or a Benz ?-36toyaa.jpg  
Old 12-24-02, 01:31 PM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

That's quite interesting.
What was the model name for this Toyota ? I'd like to know. From what I've known so far was that corona was the first production model that was exported from Japan to Europe and other countries.
What market did this 30's market hit and how many were made ? I'd be very interested in the details.
thanks.
Old 12-24-02, 01:40 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

1953: The Land Cruiser makes its international debut.

1957: The Land Cruiser arrives in America. The original 2-door FJ25 model features a soft top for open-air exploring. Toyota later offers 4-door wagons and 2-door pickup versions.

Here's a pic of the 1950 Toyota LandCruiser BJ:
Attached Thumbnails Lexus or a Benz ?-bj2.jpg  
Old 12-24-02, 01:45 PM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

Awesome,
one thing's for sure, I feel better about my LS now ( not that I didnt before ).

I had actually been in a discussion with one of my friends where I was trying to defend the lexus against his S class but was not as successfull. I think it's time I called him up to have another chat over coffee
Great info !
Old 12-24-02, 01:59 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

1. Yes. Mercedes is certainly perceived as a rich person's car.

2. Lexus is also perceived as a car owned by one with money. Maybe not quite as much, though...

3. My closest friends are all rich. Filthy rich. The first two to buy a Mercedes are the last two. It was nice to drive around in a Mercedes but they quite frequently found themselves driving a rental because their car was in for repairs. All for stupid things...

If you have the money and don't mind parting with the car once in awhile, go for the Mercedes. If you'd rather save some money and drive in a car that's also very prestigious and in your driveway more often, go for the Lexus...
Old 12-24-02, 07:51 PM
LexFather

I would choose a regular Lexus over a regular Benz but AMG ownz us

CL 55 supercharged V-12, WHAT!!!!!

Quick Reply: Lexus or a Benz ?