LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

RCR Taillight Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-13, 01:39 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RCR Taillight Problems...

I have recently bought RCR tail lights and swithced them out and they looked great. The only thing that looked ugly were the OEM "white" hallogen bulbs that come with the car looked ugly behind the white part of the new tails on the trunk lights. The reason why I needed to change them is because there are NO more hallogen bulbs in ANY part of my car other than the tails, full LED conversion inside and out the car. Now the RCRs came with 3 different bulbs.. another OEM-like bulb that is clear, another one with a slight orange tint and another bulb with red tint. I put on the one with red tint (not on the reverse side) and looked good, drove it around the block once and when I parked found out that all the taillight bulbs werent working and sure enough the fuse went out. Then I went on to replace the fuse and changed the light to the orange-tinted light bulb they came with and were working fine and then only the center taillights went out. The fuse is fine and the outside taillights work but not the middle ones. So I switched them out with the ugly OEM ones that were on since the beginning and the tails still dont stay on constantly. Although they DO work when I go reverse the trunk lights wont stay on. Not even with brake applied. What is causing this problem and how do I fix it??? This is what my tails look like now...

Last edited by djsurfer; 02-27-13 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-27-13, 05:21 AM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say check the fuse one more time, also make sure you have the right bulbs in there. Had this problem a while back and also on my other cars. Burned a fuse and had to get the right size bulbs as my friend replaced the bulbs with different type and blew the fuse
Old 02-27-13, 10:47 AM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by akitomk3
I'd say check the fuse one more time, also make sure you have the right bulbs in there. Had this problem a while back and also on my other cars. Burned a fuse and had to get the right size bulbs as my friend replaced the bulbs with different type and blew the fuse
The fuse is fine because that fuse controls all taillights, I did try that and replaced with another new fuse and same thing the middles were still out. I put in the old correct sized bulbs and those didnt turn on either? Ill buy another new set of OEM spec bulbs and see if that fixes the problems but the old one dont look blown.
Old 02-27-13, 11:05 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

You just replaced the lenses so the OEM harness is being used right? I suspect the harness has some kinked/broken wires for that section. Moving them around was just enough to break that last strand of contact. Time to get the multimeter out and check for continuity.
Old 02-27-13, 11:10 AM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Yea OEM harness still everything worked fine until I changed to the light bulbs provided different tinted colors. It all happened while I was driving all lights went out for no reason. Yes I am going to test the with leads Im sure theres current going to it. The harness looks fine and I hope that nothin disconnected internally.
Old 02-27-13, 02:07 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

if its the trunk lights that are out, i'd suspect the typical harness at the trunk hindge problem. have you checked the condition of it?
Old 02-27-13, 03:22 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Yes just the trunk lights. I just checked the harness at the hinge and all cables are fine and not open at all anywhere. Also checked every fuse in the car and they all work. The reverse light is the only that works. The constants that should be on while the outside lights arent on don't turn in with or without the brake being applied...
Old 02-27-13, 04:16 PM
1YUZFE
Driver School Candidate

Also check the lamp failure sensor in the trunk.

My car had similar symptoms so I pulled the sensor out and checked it since my trunk harness looked fine. The circuit board was melted. I got a used module from ebay and all has been well ever since.

Here's a cheap one for sale right now on ebay if that's your issue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-1994-LE...bb099f&vxp=mtr

Last edited by 1YUZFE; 02-27-13 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-27-13, 05:00 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1YUZFE
Also check the lamp failure sensor in the trunk.

My car had similar symptoms so I pulled the sensor out and checked it since my trunk harness looked fine. The circuit board was melted. I got a used module from ebay and all has been well ever since.

Here's a cheap one for sale right now on ebay if that's your issue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-1994-LE...bb099f&vxp=mtr
Wheres this located at in the trunk? Behind the liner by the gas tank? Or on the upper panel by subwoofer? I would like to check this out and make sure its in good condition.
Old 02-28-13, 03:11 PM
1YUZFE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by djsurfer
Wheres this located at in the trunk? Behind the liner by the gas tank? Or on the upper panel by subwoofer? I would like to check this out and make sure its in good condition.
Sorry for the delay!

It's behind the rear trim panel in the trunk on the left side, kind of close to the trunk hinge. I removed 2 philips screws on that trim panel and it made it easier to pull down for access.

I took a picture of where it is for you in my car, which is a 1994: