LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Display not illuminated......need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-12, 08:04 PM
shaft1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Display not illuminated......need help

1999 LS400
The area highligthed in red does not illuminate when I turn the lights on. I'm assuming the bulb is burnt out.

Can someone please let me know how to take it apart to change the light bulb? and what kind? Thank you.

Last edited by shaft1; 09-10-12 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-11-12, 05:44 PM
Ls400RR
Rookie

I think it's a common issue. Is it completely blacked out or just not lighting up?
Old 09-11-12, 06:55 PM
shaft1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ls400RR
I think it's a common issue. Is it completely blacked out or just not lighting up?
As you can see the digits are ok. It's the green back light that does not work. So I can't see any display at night.
Old 09-11-12, 06:59 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

yeah it's just the backlighting that is burned out. there are a set of #74 bulbs behind there to illuminate the panel. you will need to remove the vents to access them and have them replaced. you mean the WHOLE panel is dark? i ask bc usually only one bulb goes out leaving one side still lit.
Old 09-11-12, 07:41 PM
shaft1
Rookie

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
yeah it's just the backlighting that is burned out. there are a set of #74 bulbs behind there to illuminate the panel. you will need to remove the vents to access them and have them replaced. you mean the WHOLE panel is dark? i ask bc usually only one bulb goes out leaving one side still lit.
The whole panel is dark.

Can u pls tell me how to remove the vents? I don't even know where to begin.

Can I purchase those bulbs at the local parts store? Thx.
Old 09-11-12, 09:30 PM
Yamae

Received 855 Likes on 646 Posts

Things are all written in Japanese and it's Celsior's but just viewing photos below might gives you a good idea to remove the display unit. The site owner below is explaining how to replace the CD changer but upper half of the page is effective for your purpose. Just click the small photo to view it bigger.
http://celsiorup.com/custom20/2015_F...d_changer3.htm
Old 09-11-12, 10:43 PM
Yamae

I think I'd better add some.

>Can u pls tell me how to remove the vents?
Prior to remove the vents, you' better to remove the wood panel at the shift **** first to access the display from the bottom side.

The vents are supported just by two hooks indicated by yellow arrows. To release those hooks, the left side should be pushed to the direction left and the right side to the right. This was not very easy for me to do for the first time since I didn't know how much I should push but I succeeded it. You must push rather hard but don't break it.

After removing the vents, you remove the display in accordance with the photos.

The site owner named "jt" runs a site called Celsiorup.com. Pages are all written in Japanese but there are many useful photos and you can understand the contents just viewing them. He is kind enough to introduce what he himself has done as well as other Celsior owners have done. I owe him a lot.
Old 09-12-12, 07:58 AM
shaft1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Yamae
Things are all written in Japanese and it's Celsior's but just viewing photos below might gives you a good idea to remove the display unit. The site owner below is explaining how to replace the CD changer but upper half of the page is effective for your purpose. Just click the small photo to view it bigger.
http://celsiorup.com/custom20/2015_F...d_changer3.htm
Yamae this is an excellent help. Thank you very much. I'm going try to see if I can google a Japanese translator but the pictures should do the job.

I just need to find that plastic pry bar he is using so I dont damage the panels. I have pry bars but they are all metal. Anybody has a recommendation as to what the right tool is to use for this job?

Can someone tell me if the light bulb is a lexus only part or can I buy it from a local parts store? Anybody has the part number ?

I need to know before I tear into this and have the bulb ready.
Old 09-12-12, 10:48 AM
timmy0tool

the bulb is not a lexus only part. you should be able to get it at any auto parts store. #74 but i am not sure on quantity.

edit: you may need to transfer over a green "condom" which is placed over the bulb to give that green color. it simply slips off, like a condom .

example!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ator-bulb.html
Originally Posted by sakataj
18th step: phillips head

19th step:just unscrew bulb

20th step: bulb removed

21st step: bulb housing

Last edited by timmy0tool; 09-12-12 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-12-12, 10:55 AM
timmy0tool

simply pull the bulb from the housing where it sits in (it's a wedge bulb), after removing it from the console. then slip off the condom and swap over the new bulb.
Old 09-12-12, 08:17 PM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So much easier than replacing the bulbs behind the LCD panels in my '97 - they don't just twist out, and you have to solder new ones back in. And that's why my Pioneer unit has no illumination properties whatsoever (except for a VERY faint green glow when the car is in park and the headlights are on).
Old 09-13-12, 09:46 AM
timmy0tool

Originally Posted by Mugen_1
So much easier than replacing the bulbs behind the LCD panels in my '97 - they don't just twist out, and you have to solder new ones back in. And that's why my Pioneer unit has no illumination properties whatsoever (except for a VERY faint green glow when the car is in park and the headlights are on).
well crap! this might be the same on his 99. i have a 97 as well but never had to replace these bulbs...yet. i apologize! this is not a first hand experience. as i stated i have a 97, and was assuming the panel bulbs are the same in the GS (in the pics i posted) in my entire post.
Old 09-13-12, 01:12 PM
shaft1
Rookie

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
well crap! this might be the same on his 99. i have a 97 as well but never had to replace these bulbs...yet. i apologize! this is not a first hand experience. as i stated i have a 97, and was assuming the panel bulbs are the same in the GS (in the pics i posted) in my entire post.
I will really suck if thats the case. I guess I will find out. I ordered a plastic pry bar tool kit to do this job but it's coming from Hong Kong. None of my local stores carry this type of tool. It will probably take 2 weeks to get here but I'm in no rush. I'd rather wait than screw up the interior of the car.
Old 09-20-12, 12:52 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

don't worry, you will get additional use from the pry tools when you manage to break the display on your $650 smartphone like I did, and have to replace it yourself to avoid buying another new phone!
Old 09-21-12, 06:17 PM
Yamae

I should had informed you this together with the procedure to remove the display unit. Regarding the bulbs they are soldered as below.
http://celsiorup.com/cgi/ita/file/20...ulti_bulb4.jpg

Most of forum members us "CelsiorUp" are replacing open bulbs to surface mount LEDs with current limiting devices such as resistors or small ICs that are designed for LEDs. I don't know the availability of those there in US but here in Japan a white flat LEDs sized 5mm x 5mm are available and we usually use them. One example can be found here below.
http://www.led-paradise.com/product/798

Most LEDs have a narrower emitting light angle compared with bulbs and you have to choose wider ones otherwise you would have a poor uniformity. Another item you need to pay attention is the polarity since LEDs are directional.

Last edited by Yamae; 09-21-12 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Display not illuminated......need help