LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Replace timing belt, now poor acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-11, 02:07 PM
1killerls
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace timing belt, now poor acceleration

1993 LS400 257000 miles

I just replaced the timing belt and the water pump. Everything was lined up on the crank and cams. Engine runs, and starts up instantly. But now the engine's idle is rough. Acceleration is sluggish. Revs slow. Does this sound like coil packs (ignition related) or is my timing off?

I noticed the spark plug wires said 2005 so im guessing all the ignition stuff is 05 or older. But it was running fine before i replaced the timing belt.

Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-11-11, 02:25 PM
lex2001
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are one tooth off it will affect your timing. If some one doesn't come up with an alternative I would recommend taking the belt off and putting it back on. If there are marks on it you can make sure they are lined up if not you need to find out how many teeth are between each cam and the crank and make sure it is on properly. I had a heck of a time getting the belt on my 430. It kept going on with one tooth off and I had to take it on and off several times to get it right. My belt was marked so I could see exactly where it should be.
Old 08-11-11, 02:47 PM
1killerls
Driver School Candidate

mine was marked as well. and i had to take off because it was off a tooth. so i made sure everything was exact this time around. how did yours run with it being a tooth off.

Last edited by 1killerls; 08-11-11 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-11-11, 03:45 PM
Skynet27
Driver School Candidate

you dont have to disassemble the whole thing to check the timing. If you just pull the top two covers the plastic ones and set the crank to 0degrees check if the cam timing marks are on with the marks on the backing plates. if there nowhere in sight then turn the crank 360 degrees and see if they show up. The marks should be spot on with the marks on the block. Also it's pretty easy to pinch the left ignition coil wire when going back together on those.
Old 08-11-11, 04:06 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

im also pretty sure ur off timing, what skynet said is correct.
Old 08-11-11, 04:11 PM
1killerls
Driver School Candidate

i just checked on the timing everything is straight. So i was pulling spark plug wires and see if its firing all of them. And i found out that the passenger side, each spark plug i pulled made the engine act like it was going to die. And the driver side, when i pulled the spark plug wires the engine stayed the same. There was still sparks being fired on the driver side. I switched the coilpacks and its still was doing the same thing on the driver side. Could this indicate anything? Why would the passenger side act like the engine was going to stall and the driver side side kept the engine the same.

Ill take a picture of the timing alignment to help see if its still off enough to need to be realigned. Thanks.
Old 08-11-11, 04:19 PM
1killerls
Driver School Candidate

while taking picture it looks like my passenger side can looks like 1/2 to 1 tooth off...so it looks like i have to take it off again. Would this mess up the acceleration...etc. Please confirm this for me. Also what is a good way to put the belt on the right cam to keep it align still, any special tricks. Thank you
Old 08-11-11, 04:33 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

make sure this ignition coil wire is not crimped when u put the plug cover back on. and yes that half tooth will throw it off.

Old 08-11-11, 04:49 PM
1killerls
Driver School Candidate

ok well i will take it off and redo it and report back. thanks.
Old 08-11-11, 05:35 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

when u remove the cover, ur gonna see a small slot where the wire is suppose to pass through.
Old 08-11-11, 08:38 PM
1killerls
Driver School Candidate

i didnt put the cover on yet, i wanted to see if the engine would run. But im taking the belt off tomorrow and move it one tooth. Hopefully everything will be right again
Old 08-12-11, 04:27 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

It's gonna be difficult now b/c the tensioner pin is already pulled. You're gonna have to take off the tensioner and press the plunger back in. When you align the belt start with the crankshaft pulley (line up the mark on the belt) then set the mark on the drivers side camshaft pulley (with mark on belt) with no slack between the two. Then the other camshaft pulley, you might need to spin it a tiny bit to line up the belt mark to the pulley mark. (b/c of the tiny bit of slack in belt) Make sure all 3 marks are good before pulling the pin on the tensioner. One way to keep the belt on, and tight, until you pull the tensioner pin is to use zip ties on the cam pulleys. This video at about 5:30 shows what I mean; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D_8u1GkRkM
Old 08-12-11, 05:05 PM
1killerls
Driver School Candidate

Well i took the timing belt off and made sure it was aligned. Its still doing the same thing. I even replaced my distributor caps and new rotors (car needed it anyway). Its still revving slow. I pulled it out of the driveway, and it acted like a slug and you can here it misfiringa little.

What does this connector go to? It right next to the left coil plug connector.

Uploading video of the engine soon.

Last edited by 1killerls; 08-12-11 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-12-11, 07:17 PM
1killerls
Driver School Candidate

also on the passenger side if i take one wire off of the distributor cap it acts like it wants to stall out, i take two it just gets worse. But when i do the drivers side it does nothing to the motor. I took all four wires off and the engine does nothing, it runs the same as if i had the four plug wires on. I havent checked if the spark plugs are getting spark yet. IS this suppose to be. The distributor to the wire is getting spark, but it seems like the plugs arent getting spark...also i switch the coils around and does the same thing. Is the spark plug wires or spark plugs might be the culprit?
Old 08-12-11, 07:22 PM
deanbrown
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

You mean there is a connector unplugged? Can you not see the other half? At least get all the plugs connected.

I just looked at all my pics, and there are several gray plugs like this. What color are the wires going into it?

Quick Reply: Replace timing belt, now poor acceleration