LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

shifter sticking

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-11, 03:31 PM
LSmith
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default shifter sticking

Ok, I have a 1990 LS400 and I'm having an issue with the shifter being stuck in park. You don't hear the "click" when you press the brake pedal in order to shift out of park. I've already checked if my brake light switch to see if its bad but my lights still light up when the pedal is pressed down so that's not the case. I did search the forums for another reason to this problem and I found that cleaning the "shifter solenoid" could help. My only problem with the post I read was it didn't actually show the solenoid and (newbie moment) I'm not sure what I'm actually looking at when I took the pieces off around the shifter. Can someone shine some light on this?
Old 06-04-11, 04:27 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

I did a search with the title to this thread. Read this; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...lp-please.html
I think I've heard in the past that this might be the problem also. http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/lighting/bulbout.html
Old 06-04-11, 04:43 PM
LSmith
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
I did a search with the title to this thread. Read this; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...lp-please.html
I think I've heard in the past that this might be the problem also. http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/lighting/bulbout.html
Thanks. That first post is actually the original one I got the idea of cleaning the solenoid from. It just didnt show how it looked or where it was located so I was still confused.

Last edited by LSmith; 06-04-11 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-04-11, 05:52 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

neutral safety switch issue.
Old 06-04-11, 08:48 PM
LEXTEK1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you should check into that brake light switch! There are two circuits in the switch. Nuetral Safety Switch not so likely. If you use the "shift lock overide" button to check the display for the gears, with the key on. Pull the console plate and use brake cleaner to clean the solenoid only if there is evidence of a spill. I guess it is a good time to tell you not to use a flammable brake cleaner! Good luck, this is a really simple electrical check if you have a DMM....
Old 06-14-11, 11:39 PM
MEQ
Driver School Candidate

I have the same issue but with a 1995 LS400. I just realized that a one of my "Shift Lock" fuses is busted. Not saying this will fix your problem but its worth looking into your fuses to see if one is busted, try replacing it to see if it will work. Good luck
Old 06-15-11, 04:01 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by MEQ
I have the same issue but with a 1995 LS400. I just realized that a one of my "Shift Lock" fuses is busted. Not saying this will fix your problem but its worth looking into your fuses to see if one is busted, try replacing it to see if it will work. Good luck
OK, I just answered your other post about having no brake lights and your shift problem would seem to confirm that the brake light switch at the top of the brake pedal is bad.
Old 06-15-11, 01:03 PM
diffusion
Driver School Candidate

I had issue with this problem couple of times with my ls400. My problem was that the shifter is stuck in park and wouldn't go into any other gears even if I step on the brake pedal. I would have to step on the brake pedal and push the shift lock to put it in drive so I could drive it all the time until my cousins told me that my brake lights weren't working. Try having someone check your tail lights when you step on the brake pedal to see if your brake lights come on. For sure I dont think they'll will work because of a busted fuse, or one of the fuse is not pushed in all the way in your fuse box under the driver side dash, or a bad brake switch. That happen to me all the time and sometimes when i'm driving I would have to use my feet and softly kick the fuse box a couple of times so the fuse would be push in all the way to hear the click and for it to be working properly again. Also check your light bulbs and the light bulb socket wire hardness if they are bad. Hope this will help you out.