LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Subwoofer Replacement Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-11, 07:35 AM
feetsies
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acidfire52
I just replaced my stock sub in my '97 with this: Kicker 8" COMP
Put an appropriate amp on it and sounds great. Plenty of boom.
What kind of amp did you use?
Old 05-05-11, 08:43 AM
robbyboy32
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Would it be better to tap into the rear door speaker wires left and right channels to the line level converter? I tried just the old sub wires with a horrible sounding result. Just curious what the guys who added an aftermarket amp did to get great sound from their sub. Also if anyone else has a 98 did you use preamplifier signals or the signal from wires going straight to the speakers from the amp?
Old 05-05-11, 01:12 PM
Wanderson
Rookie

Default Gotta get the low frequencies

The system is splitting the lows from the mids & highs, all your low frequency signal is being sent to the sub, your door speakers are mids & highs only, so there's nothing to 'tap' into. I'm not sure where your stock sub amp would be located at, but if you're install is good it's possible the old amp is shot as well. If there's an adjustment on the input levels of your new line level amp I'd play with that first. But if your old stock amp is in the trunk and you can find the pre-amp input, run that to your new amp and bypass the old amp entirely. Also make sure your new amp is getting enough DC power, it's a long way from the battery to the trunk and light gauge power wire is gonna add a lot of loss.
Old 03-31-14, 07:48 PM
JReznicsek
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by python
ur not going to get any bass from whatever little 8 inch sub u stick in the back...trust me on this i have 2 5.25 jl audio speakers in the front doors and 2 in the rear doors,2 6x9 jl's in the rear deck and i put a 8 inch sub in the hole and it sucked,so i put a 12 inch boxed kicker in the trunk and my system came to life. i have the sub just sitting back there and its not being used.
Helpful tipster here. If you pulled that 8 inch factory woofer out and left the grill cover in tact, you would see an Sound pressure level increase from your subs into the cabin of the car from your 12's. It can be a pain to pull the seat and rear deck lid, but if you're already planning to pull the factory sub out, you can add a little Dynamat to the edges of the rear deck while you're in there, and that will really reduce unwanted chassis vibrations.
Old 03-31-14, 07:51 PM
JReznicsek
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by robbyboy32
Would it be better to tap into the rear door speaker wires left and right channels to the line level converter? I tried just the old sub wires with a horrible sounding result. Just curious what the guys who added an aftermarket amp did to get great sound from their sub. Also if anyone else has a 98 did you use preamplifier signals or the signal from wires going straight to the speakers from the amp?
I strongly recommend leaving the rear door signals alone as their signal levels are terrible! Instead, I came off the old sub line and into an Audio Control AC2 module that corrects and puts back in ALL the signal you could want for your sub amp. Worked awesome for &200, just saying ...