LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Transmission is possibly dead

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-10, 11:58 AM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Transmission is possibly dead

First of all, Happy Valentines Day to everyone. I've got another new issue with my 96 LS. Last night I started to hear a faint whirring noise. I thought it was the power steering pump as I had just finished a new rack install and full flush. Checked the fluid and it is fine and the steering is awesome. Little did I know the transmission was the source of the whirring noise. It sounds exactly like an empty power steering pump.

The fluid level is perfect and this car hasn't seen a drop of anything but Type4. I only do drain and refill's every once in a while. It has shifted great and the fluid is a nice bright red. I'm BIG on maintenance.

My mother took the car down the road to the store and she called me telling me something is really wrong with the car. The said the engine revs and the car doesn't move, like a clutch is disengaged on a manual car. I told her to shut it off and I'd be right there. While it sat it must have cooled off or something because it drove fine for a few minutes after I got there to take it home. As it warmed up the whirring noise got worse. I noticed the torque converter unlocking and locking way more than usual last night.

What should I do before assuming the transmission pump is toast and new trans is in order? A good salvaged low miles trans would be way cheaper than replacing the pump in this one I think. Is there a screen that I can drop the pan and clean? Sounds like maybe the pump isn't getting enough fluid for whatever reason. I don't want to think the worst until I know for sure something is wrong. I alway's heard Lexus bragged about never selling a complete transmission while the 400 was in production. Now I'm starting to wander how that can be true. I take such good care of this car, let it warm up etc... and now this is happening. I really appreciate any input you guy's can give me. I try and give my input and experience in this forum as much as I can on threads and I hope that can come around and make a complete circle as discussion boards are best meant to do. Thanks!

-Kelly
Old 02-14-10, 12:17 PM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default same symptoms.Mine came off a 96ls

Have you read my long thread on my 95 LS with 301 k miles?I had the same symptoms.Fork 1300 for a used tranny at the yardy buddy!
Old 02-14-10, 09:16 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Did you try cleaning your screen in your trans before breaking out your wallet? I've also read a few threads having the whirring noise from pump cavation and they were able to remedy it with cleaning the pan and screen and doing a flush. I'm hoping to try some things tomorrow. Anyone else have this issue? Still looking for ideas.
Old 02-14-10, 09:30 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the filter idea makes sense..... my sc400 had 251000 miles so i just went ahead and got a used transmission but then again it only cost me 200 dollars which is over half of what a flush and filter change would have cost me
Old 02-14-10, 09:45 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

200 dollars for the tranny but what about the install? I would drop the pan and look. When you drop the pan if the filter is dirty then that may give you hope and change or clean the filter and see what happens. If the filter is clean then you may need to get a new tranny. Won't cost you anything to drop the pan if you do it yourself. Also make sure that the cable from throttle to tranny is not broken or something.
Old 02-15-10, 01:40 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

I dropped the pan and the strainer. The strainer seems to be clogged up a bit. Is it better to clean the strainer or just replace it? Also, there was no magnet in the pan, is there supposed to be? Starting to feel somewhat sure the strainer is restricting flow.

-Kelly
Old 02-15-10, 02:24 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

answering my own question here. There are supposed to be 4 magnets in the pan. This pan had to have been off before. Since I don't know if the trans is going to be okay I'm going to replace the filter with an Advance Auto parts strainer and wait on the magnets. If the trans runs good after the filter change I'll put down the $5 per magnet to replace them.

-Kelly
Old 02-15-10, 04:40 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Boy you must have a lot of time on your hands if you're willing to do the job over and over again.
Old 02-15-10, 04:54 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

and to pay for all the wasted T-IV fluid...
Old 02-15-10, 05:22 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Wasted Type-IV fluid? I assumed he was going to catch it all in a bucket and then use a teaspoon to pour it in a funnel back into the transmission.
Old 02-15-10, 08:32 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Alot of time on my hands, seriously? For someone who has a clue what they're doing, dropping the pan takes about 5 minutes... You're kidding right? As for the fluid... I'm dumping what came out this first time and refilling the MAYBE just over 2 qt's with a new strainer. If it runs fine I'll drain it into a clean container, drop the pan again to install magnets and pour the caught fluid back in. You guy's don't sound like Lexus owners with all of this "OMG you're going to possibly waste 2 qts of fluid!!!" Go buy a Honda or regular Toyota if you are worried about maintaining your car on the cheap.

And what's this teaspoon comment about. I'm just trying to make discussion on my issue for future viewers to search. Anyone else with some viable comments?

I'm betting the missing magnets in the pan have allowed the metal crud in the fluid to stay remain suspended in the fluid allowing it to slowly clog the filter. If you don't think it's worth dropping the pan the reinstall magnets AFTER I know the trans is going to be okay with the strainer, you're crazy... If you also think I should just pay the $20+ dollars for 4 magnets along with the new strainer just to possibly still have a bad trans that will have magnets already in the pan (hopefully), you're also crazy! Especially over 10-15 mins of dropping the pan, installing magnets, and refilling if the trans is going to be fine with just a new strainer.
Old 02-15-10, 10:48 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a good plan. If the tranny works good after the test then I would change all the fluid not just whats in the pan. Also if you did not have the magnets in there I hope all your solenoid filters are not full of the iron fillings clogging them up. You may need to remove each solenoid and clean the filter of each of them. The strainer doesn not strain the small stuff but the filters on the solenoid do.

If the tranny works after the strainer change but does not shift good maybe the next step is to flush the tranny (the garage way using the engine pressure) and remove each solenoid and clean the filter of each solenoid.
Old 02-16-10, 10:41 AM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Banshee365
You guy's don't sound like Lexus owners with all of this "OMG you're going to possibly waste 2 qts of fluid!!!" Go buy a Honda or regular Toyota if you are worried about maintaining your car on the cheap.
You are right. Owning a luxury car is about wasting as many materials as possible.

Best of luck with your transmission. My guess is your transmission will end up being just fine. I've never heard of a Lexus LS transmission failing, but then again, maybe I just haven't been searching for those threads. Seems to me that you will need a new gasket for your transmission pan or use a FIPG.
Old 02-16-10, 10:44 AM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

By the way, could you give us an idea of how many miles are on your LS? All you told us was that it was a '96 model...
Old 02-16-10, 09:22 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

amcdonal86, you are totally taking my comment out of context. Do not go from one extreme to the other. I'm a pilot and when I was instructing students a couple of years ago I would get asked, "why don't we pour the sumped fuel back into the tanks if there is no water." This was around 2004-2005 when fuel was just thrown onto the ground. I usually mentioned that if you are worried about throwing away a couple of ounces of fuel you shouldn't be spending $8k on your pilots license. I am in no way saying you should waste as much fluid as possible, where in the world did you get that? You know my procedure for my particular car with an unknown transmission issue at the time. It's either I waste $20 on magnets for a possibly bad transmission. Or I replace the screen first and replace 2 qt's of the fluid (which doens't hurt to do anyway) and reuse the same fluid when I drop the pan again to install the magnets if the transmission is okay. Capiche?

The car has just over 210k miles. I've never replaced the screen as I've read that it's usually not typical maintenance item, instead just flush the fluid. I heartedly believe now that that is wrong. It's just as much of a maintenance item as any other filter in any other transmission.

Quick Reply: Transmission is possibly dead