LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Quick motor question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-10, 03:28 PM
Calyko22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick motor question...

I have a 90 LS and I was just wondering if anyone knows if the motor from a 95 will fit in the 90. I have to swap my motor and I found a 95 and can get it for a pretty good deal.

Thanks in advance....
Old 02-09-10, 04:37 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

no, wiring and ecu are different.
Old 02-09-10, 09:26 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

I would like to know and thanks for letting me know that since I have a 95 sc400 moter laying at home that I am going to rebuild and drop in my girlfriends ls400 and its a 90 also
Old 02-09-10, 09:35 PM
VIP92Ls400
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Negative Nancy

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
no, wiring and ecu are different.
I was just wondering why when anyone asks about swapping a different engine into their ls400, you always say that it won't work because the wireing is different. I have done the research, and I do agree with u that the wireing and ecu's are different, but it can and will most def work. Anyone with experience doing engine swaps will tell u that these wireing and sensor changes are pretty basic in terms of swaps. And I would also like to say that the compression difference in the early and later motors is not significant enough to cause problems by using an early ecu to run a later engne with all associated sensors. Like I said, technically you are correct when u say it won't run exactly how it should, but it would not be noticable at all and the swap will work and run exceptional. I just don't see the point in being a naysayer when there is no point. In my personal experiences with all types of engine swaps from all types of different makes and models, u can make things work and sometimes the combination not being "correct", can end up being a better setup with more than satisfactory results. I will prob catch some slack for challanging the allmighty, but I think different setups should be encouraged, b
Old 02-09-10, 10:58 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by willhickey
I would like to know and thanks for letting me know that since I have a 95 sc400 moter laying at home that I am going to rebuild and drop in my girlfriends ls400 and its a 90 also
the '95 SC400 engine is different from the '95 LS400 engine. the '95 SC400 engine will fit without any modifications and you can reuse the sensors and wiring from your '90 motor for the most part.
Old 02-10-10, 12:46 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by VIP92Ls400
I was just wondering why when anyone asks about swapping a different engine into their ls400, you always say that it won't work because the wireing is different. I have done the research, and I do agree with u that the wireing and ecu's are different, but it can and will most def work. Anyone with experience doing engine swaps will tell u that these wireing and sensor changes are pretty basic in terms of swaps.
research alone does the properly running engine it does not make. the '95+LS uses a completely different electrical setup in the motor, not just different shaped connectors.

you're taking my comments out of context. the bulk of people who ask on this thread are asking basically "my stock motor broke, can i REPLACE it with one from xx year?", not asking "can i SWAP a motor from a different year in?"

And I would also like to say that the compression difference in the early and later motors is not significant enough to cause problems by using an early ecu to run a later engne with all associated sensors. Like I said, technically you are correct when u say it won't run exactly how it should, but it would not be noticable at all and the swap will work and run exceptional.
there's a lot more different in the '89-94 LS and '95-97 LS motors than just compression. the entire head was redesigned, as was the rotating assembly. the fuel system was also changed, with the injectors having different flow rates from the earlier models. more than a "minute" change for sure.

unless you have ACTUALLLY (not theoretically) swapped in a '95-97 motor and run it '89-94 electronics, your statement has no value over mine. hypothetically speaking, you are.

I just don't see the point in being a naysayer when there is no point. In my personal experiences with all types of engine swaps from all types of different makes and models, u can make things work and sometimes the combination not being "correct", can end up being a better setup with more than satisfactory results. I will prob catch some slack for challanging the allmighty, but I think different setups should be encouraged, b
telling someone who is asking basically if they can replace their stock motor with a stock motor from a different GENERATION that it will not work is a fact, nothing more or less. if someone asks "can i put XX motor into XX car?" the simple answer is YES, with enough time and money, you can put anything into anything. you want to take everything i've said at face value, feel free to, but don't group me as a naysayer or discouraging. i stated the asked for facts.

go search, its been discussed the same with guys asking to swap in 2JZ motors as well.
Old 02-10-10, 06:57 AM
Calyko22
Driver School Candidate

Lol this is why I love this forum... to answer your question thermactor, my motor is burning oil SO FAST (really really fast....with no trace of a leak under the car) that if I were to take a 60 mile trip, I would have to add a quart of oil just to make it back home that same 60 miles...everywhere I go keeps saying it sounds like a head gasket or a cracked head. So basically im looking for a replacement for now so that I can rebuild my stock 90....to clarify the '95 WILL fit BUT the wiring will need to be modified? how much modification are we talking? is it something that is DYI? im not a mechanic but im not scared to get in there and DYI lol....
Old 02-10-10, 11:29 AM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
you're taking my comments out of context. the bulk of people who ask on this thread are asking basically "my stock motor broke, can i REPLACE it with one from xx year?", not asking "can i SWAP a motor from a different year in?"
Not taking sides, but the OP definitely said "swap". Since the OP's question was if the motor would "fit" and if he can swap it in.......then the simple answer would be "yes".
Old 02-10-10, 01:37 PM
Calyko22
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Thermactor
Hey dude,
it will fit just fine.
Just strip the '95 motor down by removing the manifolds, and put your '90 manifolds and electronics on there, and bolt it on as it was. The heads and block are externally identical, so everything from your '90 will bolt like factory. No splicing, tapping, or fussing needed!

Those wanting to put an SC400 motor in their LS400 will need to remove the oil pans and oil pickup tube on the oil pump, and put the LS400 spec parts on. The SC400 is rear sump if I recall correctly, and the LS400 is definitely front sump.
When you say electronics are you referring to plug wires, maf, ecu things of this nature?
Old 02-10-10, 04:15 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright, for once, I am going to rescue PD. Most people think that it is an easy task to just" swap" stuff over. In fact, you can't just take a 95' motor out of a car, and put it in your 90'. Things like the EGR, coolant temp, cam and crank sensor are all different. HOWEVER, you can use the 95' LS 1UZ, all you need to do is use ALL of your existing electronics.
What PD is basically saying is that you can't just plug your 90' sensors into the 95' engine, you will need to strip everything down to basically the longblock, using a 95' block, 95' cylinder heads, but everything else must come from your 90'... including, intake and exhaust manifolds, cam and crank sensors, distributors and wires, coolant sensor and sender, etc... Yes, you will need to keep your existing plug wires along with the dizzys, and cam sensors, maf, ecu, egr, throttle body, etc.... In essence, your just using the 95' block (rotating assembly) and cylinder heads, everything else is being replace with the 90' junk.

Originally Posted by Calyko22
When you say electronics are you referring to plug wires, maf, ecu things of this nature?
My whole thing is that if you have to ask, your already in over your head. And your talking about swapping engines, which is a costly endeavor. I would think about doing some valve stem seals, valve cover gaskets, spark plug tubes first because 151k miles is nothing on UZ rings, oil can only go a few places. Just my .02.
Old 02-11-10, 01:57 PM
Calyko22
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate that 3uzfte, yea that seems like more work than its worth right now... anyone know where I can order a motor for under a grand? not really looking for a new one...just something that will last until I get my money right to completely re-do my car like I want it to...

Last edited by Calyko22; 02-11-10 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-11-10, 04:48 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

car-parts.com

http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.c...y=&userPage=26

250 bucks gets you one with 132,000 miles on it.

Last edited by sam12345; 02-11-10 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-11-10, 04:52 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts