LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

code 25 1990 ls400 running lean

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-09, 09:21 AM
nervekiler
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default code 25 1990 ls400 running lean

after readjusting the TPS to rid that code.
i also changed the fuel filter and ran fuel injection cleaner through a tank of gas. the car used to shake and sputter all the time and would have troubles idling. this seemed to fix it for a day. then i drove the car on a 300 mile trip.. after my next fillup the car started sputtering really bad while trying to maintain cruise speed of 65mph. she seems to idle no to bad.

got to where i was going and checked the codes. says shes running lean. which i dont doubt there didnt seem to be much of any power under the pedal.

and ideas of what i should check next?
the car is on craigslist as of this morning.. i am simply just tired of this reoccuring problem. but of course, it would help it to sell if it ran a little better. i've describe it in my ad as an intermittant problem.
Old 12-12-09, 10:57 AM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Take it to a mechanic. could be several different things. check and see if your pcv valve is stuck or not. pull it out and shake it. you should hear it rattle. you can also try cleaning your MAF sensor.
Old 12-12-09, 11:08 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

change your precat o2 sensors..

www.oxygensensors.com
Old 12-12-09, 08:17 PM
nervekiler
Rookie

the last mechanic that touched it charged me $300 additional to fix a fuel leak that he caused. and now it runs like this since i've got it back they refused to look at it for free saying its probably just bad gas. theres nothing that a mechanic can do or troubleshoot that i cannot do or troubleshoot with the right resources. problem is that i do not have there troubleshooting flow chart. needless to say i have lost faith in anyone who calls themselves a mechanic.

the MAF looks clean on a visual inspection.
thanks for the tip i'll check the PCV valve.

also the temp gauge on the dash usually reads on cold even when its warmed up. woudl this have any relation to my problem? and lately the heater seems not to blow as warm. but it has been well below freezing the last few days out here. radiator seems to have enough coolant in it. thinkin my thermostat might be stuck in the open position.
there are two vacuum hoses that go to a plastic connector on top of thermostat housing (or what would be on a chevy smallblock). the same mechanic also broke the nipple off of connector and just shoved the vacuum hose back over the thing saying "its not a very important hose".

thanks for any advice or any help guys. i dont really trust anyone to work on my rigs for me anymore and that makes it hard sometimes to get things fixed.
Old 12-12-09, 09:22 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

dont let one douchebag change ur mind like that...dont be that shallow!!

there are plenty of good mechanics and plenty of bad ones.

i had this code on my LS aswell and i speak for experience that IT IS your PRECAT o2 sensors.

if ur heater is not as cold, or the needle drops when driving then yes your thermostat is stuck open as mine is also right now but im waiting to change when i do my timing belt.

yes that little hose that goes into the helmholtz resonator gets VERY brittle over time and tends to snap...u can get a plastic tap and rehook it up..or just super glue it lol.
Old 12-13-09, 12:24 AM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can follow what LiCelsior said.

I was wondering if your worthless Mechanic really did fix the leak since he did not want to troubleshoot it again. If you brought in your car running well and received it running bad then this is a reportable issue to BBB and BAR. I suggest you should report it immediately! They have online reporting system.

It could be there is not enough fuel pressure coming in due to the fuel leak that I suspect was not fixed properly.

Also, you need to check your plug wires if they are all good especially the lead wires. This happened to me and I had the same code.
Old 12-13-09, 08:01 AM
nervekiler
Rookie

i did supglue the hose back on.
so list of things to do, which honestly are all just maintenance.
plugs/wires, check PCV valve, clean throttle body and inspect hose that connects to the bottom of it. o2 sensors.

it snowed quit a bit and in the cold weather its less noticable. not sure if its cooincidence or what.
thank you for your input guys.
this car needs a lot of work and im just chippin away at it as the budget allows.

-frank
Old 05-18-12, 07:12 PM
dvierra329
Driver School Candidate

Default code 25

code 25 also says it can be a tempature sensor which also can cause the car to run lean my sounds like its misfiring at 1500 and still havent found out the problem
Old 05-18-12, 07:13 PM
dvierra329
Driver School Candidate

also check the coolant not enough coolant can also causethe heater not to be hot