LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

still feel engine running

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-09, 08:04 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default still feel engine running

I have replaced 3 engine/tranny mounts for my 90ls400. made very much different, but I can still feel engine running by touching the shift lever and steering wheel. i know i am a bit of perfectionist but some people here say they dont feel any shake at all on shifter or steering wheel after replacing engine mounts (similar year and mileage)

what i am trying to do is to stop vibration from engine to the car body. first is to replace the rubber hose connecting inlet MAF and the air intake. this rubber connector looks a bit harden over the years so it tranfers vibration from engine to body thru MAF and inlet air filter box

another one is to check the linkage from shifter to tranny, but done really know how

my question are:

- are the above things would reduce vibration to body thus reducing vibra to steering wheel and shifter? and what else can i look at?
- how to check & fix the shifter linkage?

thanks
Old 05-07-09, 08:43 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Shaking can come from a number of things. You could have bushings which need to be replaced(control arms), you could also have a ball joint which could be on it's way out(fairly common with the LS. Notorious for eating ball joints; especially the first gens). You could also have a driveshaft bushing which needs to be replaced. Check your brake caliper pistons to make sure that they are in good shape and not sticking. All of the above things will contribute to any kind of vibration/wheel shake/shifter shake. I have a little shifter shake myself, but narrowed it down to a caliper which will need to be replaced soon, as well as my own motor mounts needing to be replaced. These suggestions are not all of the places which will constitute vibration, however, it will give you some things to inspect/examine.
Old 05-07-09, 08:52 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

i am sorry for not mentioning it earlier. I mean i want to reduce the vibration when the engine is running idle and the car stands still. not about when driving. anyway, thanks for your quick reply Trunkn1
Old 05-07-09, 10:23 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you use "genuine" Lexus/Toyota mounts?

I am in desperate need of new engine and tranny mounts when I win the lotto. My car has terrible vibrations from the steering wheel when idling and when driving my car will "lope" because there is so much slack.
Old 05-10-09, 03:11 AM
qha_vn
Pole Position

its here, the tranny mount

new vs. old

new one is much higher

Old 05-10-09, 05:32 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You could be feeling the vibration because your idle speed is too low (or too high). Your idle should be around 650rpm then you shouldn't feel any vibrations even if your bushings/mounts are completely shot.

I suggest you clean your throttle body and idle air control valve, and double check to see if air valve on your power steering pump isnt leaking.
Old 05-10-09, 08:57 AM
qha_vn
Pole Position

yes idle is steadily 650, throttle body cleaned, idle air control valve checked. air valve on power steering pump deleted.

vibra is very very soft, but again i still feel the engine running. I expect feeling no vibra, like new but maybe too optimistic
Old 05-12-09, 09:35 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont know... I guess with even new mounts all the way its possible to feel some sort of feedback from just the fact that the car is now nearly 20 years old.... perhaps some other things that also help isolate it, or the engines smoothness in general is not as it was when it was brand new. Other things like bearings, etc loose their smoothness over time.

I wish mine only had a minor vibration - I would be happy.... as it is now, its horrible. I get "repetitious" vibrations, especially through the steering wheel at certain speeds. I know its the engine and/or transmission mounts, as they are the originals and the car has 219K miles. Problem is I dont have the $240 for parts and $150 for labor to have this done, as my savings are going to pay off a bill that I have wanted to pay off for awhile now. May never be able to afford it... I may have to sell the car. I may at least try to change the transmission mount myself, since its only $60 and it sounds easy to replace... engine mounts on the other hand are $90 each (wholesale) and I know I cannot change them myself. Then I also have a power steering leak and valve cover gaskets leak.

Originally Posted by qha_vn
yes idle is steadily 650, throttle body cleaned, idle air control valve checked. air valve on power steering pump deleted.

vibra is very very soft, but again i still feel the engine running. I expect feeling no vibra, like new but maybe too optimistic
Old 05-13-09, 04:31 AM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased my 90 LS400 with 233K miles with the original mounts 6 years ago..new ones made a big difference..now can't even tell the engine is on...visual difference also when comparing new to old..much more rubber on the new..