LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Window TINT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-10, 03:13 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually really like the pin striping.
Old 09-20-10, 03:17 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Brandicus
hey bud,

I have 5% rear window, 10%rear passengers, 15% front passengers, (sunroof is also 10% stock i think). I havent had a single problem with the law and i live in northern cali. keep in mind though if you tint your front pas windows you will recieve lower cell phone signal as tint partially prevents the signal from passing through the glass. thats my only real complaint but i have that gradient kind of look i wanted. hope this pic helps.

Hey Brandicious,

I'm getting my(fathers) Ls400 tinted soon.

I love the way you went with the tint... darker in the back and lighter in the front. I think you got the right % on all the windows!

How are you finding your limo tint on the rear window? Is it difficult to back up? How does it affect regular driving ...during the day and night?

Thanks bud!
Old 09-22-10, 12:19 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 416 Likes on 343 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by lexuslspro
Hey Brandicious,

I love the way you went with the tint... darker in the back and lighter in the front. I think you got the right % on all the windows!

How are you finding your limo tint on the rear window? Is it difficult to back up? How does it affect regular driving ...during the day and night?

Thanks bud!
I've got 15% all around on my SC and it's not too bad driving at night assuming you have HID's and are in a decently lit area. In poorly lit areas, 15% can get a little tricky. I would go with 15% on the rear window and 5% on the rest of the car, as well as 30% on the entire windshield.

I recently put 5% on my Saturn and it is pretty tough driving through poorly lit areas. My neighborhood is VERY dark at night and it was hard seeing people before the 5% tint, so I've always rolled down my windows. Backing up isn't too big of an in the day time and well lit areas at night.
Old 09-22-10, 01:35 AM
Desarae
Driver School Candidate

Smile Window Tint

I had a 1990 Lexus LS400 that I bought from a friend at work.I drove it for six years with no trouble. I asked my husbands nefew who is a sergant for the Phoenix police dept in the maryville area which is a crime ridden part of Phoenix. I asked him about my limo tint, he said that most officers didn't care about window tint on somebody's car (most of them don't have the tint machine anyway) they have better things to do. He said that a rookie officer may make a stink about it. About four months later I was parked in a spot at a strip mall, An Arizona dept of safety cop parked about two lanes away from me. He came to my car and told me that I couldn't have a tinted strip on the front window, and he said that my drivers and passengers windows were to dark and if he didn't have a meeting that he would ticket me. I took the strip off of the front window. I drove the car for another month, then traded it in for a 2000 Lexus LS400. I got the windows on the 2000 tinted limo also. Coming home from work one night I got pulled over for doing 59mph in a 55mph zone. The Arizona dept of saftey gave me a warning about my speed. Way before I caught up to him in the highway I was doing 155 mph lol. Then a week later the same officer pulled me over and said my drivers and passengers windows were to dark, he gave me a "fix it" warning. I took the car back to where the windows were tinted and got the drivers and passengers windows re-done with whatever the legal limit is. I have not been pulled over since. So I guess my husbands nefew was right, it depends on the cop that pulls you over. Desarae
Old 09-22-10, 04:57 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuslspro
Hey Brandicious,

Thanks bud!
Well it's been about 5 years since I've had it, and it took me 3.5 years to finally get pulled over for the front tint (which isn't actually 15% I apologize, it's %55). However it was just given a fix it and am currently rocking no tint front pass windows.

It definitely takes some getting used to, you learn to rely more on your side mirrors and turning your head so I'd argue it makes a better driver out of you!

I've never had any problems with backing up and driving at night is farrrrrr more relaxing now that I don't have everyones headlights glaring in my eyes. I also enjoy a much lower interior temperature on hot days and I'm sure it helps the leather last longer too. I'd recommend 5% rear window to anybody
Old 09-23-10, 07:55 AM
GillaG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is mine that I had tinted this past Saturday. It is 35% on the front doors, 20% on the rear doors along with the rear window. Turned out nice and actually a little darker than I expected, it is nice during the day but a little dark in unlit areas at nice but that is to be expected. Still no where as dark as my old truck with 35% on the front doors and 5% on the rear doors and cap windows, most times you could not see the passangers from the back of the truck.
Sorry about the not so great cell phone picture.

Old 09-23-10, 08:38 AM
Desarae
Driver School Candidate

Nice pic Gillag that looks like my 1990 LS 400. I drove it for 6 years and I loved it. My 2000 LS 400 seems to not have the smooth ride while driving. My 1990 was a lot smoother when it came to pot holes in the road. My 1990 LS 400 had limo tint on all windows, and it made my car cooler since I live in Phoenix. When I drove at night I had to use extra caution. Im not sure what the tint numbers on my 2000 LS 400, the back window is limo and also the rear passengers windows. The drivers and front passenger windows are lighter due to a Arizona police man giving me a "fix it ticket".
Desarae.

Last edited by Desarae; 09-23-10 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 02-05-13, 04:50 PM
LMoney4o8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What % Tint Do You Have?

What percent tint do you have? And what is the exterior and interior color of your car?
Old 02-05-13, 05:15 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

please search next time before creating a new thread.

merged.