LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Window TINT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-07, 12:56 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Window TINT?

What window tints are you guys running. I just picked up a 1999 LS400, with all the toys. Now it needs some style. HOw dark is everyones tints?
Old 01-14-07, 02:27 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

on my old LS i had limo in the back 3 windows, medium (approx 45-50%) in the front, and a 6in. visor.

looked good. but all depends on how what color ur car is and how dark u want it.

reminds me that i need to find a place around here to tint my new car

Last edited by PureDrifter; 01-14-07 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-14-07, 04:16 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Depends on if you want to have to deal with "Johnny Law" on a daily basis. Tint limits vary from state to state although 35% seems to be a minimum legal limit across most states. Check with your local tint shop to see what is legal in your state and then decide how daring you want to go from there. In Maryland, 35 is legal but most of us can get away with 20% without being hassled too much. 20% is what I run on my 92 and so far,, no problems.
Old 01-14-07, 08:22 PM
pito
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have 20 percent ALL around. So far two tickets. Just the price of the game in my book.
Old 01-14-07, 09:12 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pito
Well I have 20 percent ALL around. So far two tickets. Just the price of the game in my book.
i never even got pulled over for mine
Old 01-14-07, 10:46 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

35%, I originally wanted a 40-50%.

When I was younger, I was pulled over at night for a variety of equipment issues. When the officer came up with his flashlight, I noticed he had his weapon drawn and I looked down the barrel of a 9mm. That was all the convincing I needed for lighter tint. YMMV.
Old 01-15-07, 02:40 PM
lexodude
Pole Position

15% all the way around, had a strip across the front windshield which went down literrally 35-40 percent of the whole thing. Took it off bc it looked kinda wierd.

BTW Happy Bday yesterday, it was my bros also
Aaron
Old 01-15-07, 09:01 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexodude
15% all the way around, had a strip across the front windshield which went down literrally 35-40 percent of the whole thing. Took it off bc it looked kinda wierd.

BTW Happy Bday yesterday, it was my bros also
Aaron
Hey, thanks man! First time I've heard that on Club Lexus. I might go with 15% in the back and 30 up front. Sounds ok you think?
Old 01-15-07, 09:14 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Great to see you back...

Not sure what color yoru LS is... Interior/exterior... however, I had mine 30% side window, and windshield, and 20% on the rear window.

Didnt really like the tint on the winshield, and removed it myself. It was great during the day, but I might as well turn my headlights off at night.
Old 01-15-07, 09:40 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Great to see you back...

Not sure what color yoru LS is... Interior/exterior... however, I had mine 30% side window, and windshield, and 20% on the rear window.

Didnt really like the tint on the winshield, and removed it myself. It was great during the day, but I might as well turn my headlights off at night.
Heres two pictures that I JUST took...62,000 miles. Every option but air ride. 1999 Black/Tan, HIDs, Navigation, everything. I'm putting some IS350 wheels on it or some RX330's on it soon. I'm very happy with it!!

Hey moe, the original owner of this car bought it 50 miles away and it seems to be that it picks up that city but nothing east of it -Louisville, KY. I'm the second owner and I can't zoom passed 1/4 of a mile and it only picks up highways and interstates, no side roads. Do I need a software update?

Old 01-15-07, 09:59 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Heres two pictures that I JUST took...62,000 miles. Every option but air ride. 1999 Black/Tan, HIDs, Navigation, everything. I'm putting some IS350 wheels on it or some RX330's on it soon. I'm very happy with it!!

Hey moe, the original owner of this car bought it 50 miles away and it seems to be that it picks up that city but nothing east of it -Louisville, KY. I'm the second owner and I can't zoom passed 1/4 of a mile and it only picks up highways and interstates, no side roads. Do I need a software update?

]
Very nice!!

Personally, I would remove the pinstrip for a cleaner look.

Now, about the navi, well i know it only gives detailed coverage in major area's only. I'm not sure if they increased the coverage area's in the newer update, or they just updated the POI's. Interesting question, might have to find someone with an update, and see if they increased the coverage area. I live in a well populated area, so my map's are just fine. Coverage area's should be shown in your navi manual.

Also, contact Lexus, and ask them if your area has been added to the coverage area for the 2006 Update.
Old 01-15-07, 10:05 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Also, have a look at this thread from the GS forums:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=TINT
Old 01-15-07, 10:25 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Very nice!!

Personally, I would remove the pinstrip for a cleaner look.

Now, about the navi, well i know it only gives detailed coverage in major area's only. I'm not sure if they increased the coverage area's in the newer update, or they just updated the POI's. Interesting question, might have to find someone with an update, and see if they increased the coverage area. I live in a well populated area, so my map's are just fine. Coverage area's should be shown in your navi manual.

Also, contact Lexus, and ask them if your area has been added to the coverage area for the 2006 Update.
Pinstiping YES! How di I go about removing that? It does not flow with the black and chrome AT ALL

The LS430 also picture..barely...does pick up our town. So I think that the update might help. Can't I find one at a good price if I send in the old unit? I seleted MAP INFO and is said "Sept 2002" so its still pretty old.
Old 01-15-07, 11:46 PM
2tirefire
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Pinstiping YES! How di I go about removing that?

It depends on how much work you want to put into it. I usually try the hair dryer method first to see if I can pull it up with little resistance, then go over it with an adhesive remover to get off all of the sticky residue.

If that does not work, like usual since a pin stripe is meant to stay on and not come off for any reason what so ever (unless you have someone that went overboard on the pinstripes from the local auto store, those come off easily). Go to your local auto body or auto paint supply store and purchase an eraser wheel. Attach the eraser wheel to a cordless drill and go to town. Unless you have prior experience using an eraser wheel, you need to proceed with extreme caution. If you leave the wheel on an area to long it will literally burn through the paint until you hit metal. I have seen some pretty bad jobs done in the past and I can only warn you before hand.

Since you have a black car you probably want to take extra care in removing any contaminants or debris on the paint. I would thoroughly wash the car with something to strip all of the wax off (ie Dawn dish soap), followed by a quick clay bar treatment to ensure you have removed any contaminants and debris. Park it in a covered area or garage to ensure that you do not get any dirt particles on the freshly cleaned surface to prevent from any swirl marks or clear coat scratches.

Good luck, and hopefully you can remove the pin stripe with the old hair dryer method, I find using the eraser wheel to be much easier, and also saves your fingernails from falling off.
Old 01-16-07, 09:36 AM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey bud,

I have 5% rear window, 10%rear passengers, 15% front passengers, (sunroof is also 10% stock i think). I havent had a single problem with the law and i live in northern cali. keep in mind though if you tint your front pas windows you will recieve lower cell phone signal as tint partially prevents the signal from passing through the glass. thats my only real complaint but i have that gradient kind of look i wanted. hope this pic helps.

Quick Reply: Window TINT?