Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Climate Control Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-10, 10:48 PM
svagusta
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Climate Control Lights

Updating the lighting on my sc300 and really want to change out the "indicator lights" for the climate control to blue. (the lights above the defroster, circulation and AC buttons)

kind of stuck at this point...

has anyone done these before?

also it feels like the board is still attached to something inside the housing, I cant see in there though and dont want to risk breaking anything.

Do I just need to desolder the bulbs from the back of the board or what..might be in a little over my head here?
Old 11-09-10, 02:48 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

It can be done man, just finished doing this to my CC on my 2nd gen GS.
looks like your half way there, just unsolder the old ones replace with the same type in a different color, worked for me, I used 3mm LED off ebay in blue, but to be honest I'm gonna change to white cause the blue is a bit to bright for me.
solder them exactly as you see the old ones onto the circuit board. a good tip it to get a multimeter and set it to diode test and make sure you get the positve side into the right slot. let me know how it works out for you.
Old 11-09-10, 04:49 PM
svagusta
Pole Position

do you unsolder from the back?? Because I dont see how to remove the black plastic on the front. And in that pic, the board is free from the clips on the side but it still feels like something is holding it in there. I've been told I just need to stop being a betch and it will come out, is this true?
Old 11-10-10, 09:07 AM
Tank
Racer

Default ...........

Originally Posted by svagusta
do you unsolder from the back?? Because I dont see how to remove the black plastic on the front. And in that pic, the board is free from the clips on the side but it still feels like something is holding it in there. I've been told I just need to stop being a betch and it will come out, is this true?
Well I don't know about being a ***** cause you wanna make sure you don't mess up your CC, but I do know on my CC I was able to pull that circuit board out all the way there were 5 screws I removed and the front cover ( that faces the driver) came off. then I held each LED with my finger nail or a pair of tweezers while I heated up the sodder on the other side of the circuit board and pulled, they came right out. then I just re-soddered the new LED's in. looks like your half way there, if your able to pull on the old ones while you de-sodder them on the other side (the back..) of that circuit board you should be allright. just put the new ones in as if you were putting the old ones back in. worked for me.

Last edited by Tank; 11-10-10 at 09:09 AM. Reason: missinfg info
Old 11-10-10, 03:16 PM
svagusta
Pole Position

sweet, that is what I thought. Thanks for the help man! Hopefully get this done this weekend.
Old 11-12-10, 11:00 PM
Tank
Racer

Default ..................

Do you have any pictures of your CC? And do you know what brightness (mcd) your blue leds are?

I am looking at the ones from superbrightleds.com that are 2000mcd which shouldnt be too bright. I also have their 5000mcd white LEDs in my window switches and they arent blinding.

Well to tell you the truth I kinda winged it when it came to brightness etc..lol I saw the colors I wanted on ebay and went for it.. I ordered 3mm and 5mm that's the only thing I paid attention to was the size..

here's some pics of my work in progress, I'm trying different looks but I think I'm gonna go with the white display and change the air circ. button lights to white, that blue is just a little to bright for me to be "on" all the time while the car is running.
Also I changed my alarm light to blue since everything else is gonna be either blue or white.. all this cause my tape deck on the Nak stock radio broke!..lol
Attached Thumbnails Climate Control Lights-img00068.jpg   Climate Control Lights-img00069.jpg   Climate Control Lights-img00073.jpg  
Old 11-13-10, 11:09 PM
svagusta
Pole Position

wow those are a little bright. look good though. matches your double DIN very well.

I wouldnt change the circ button just yet man. White is most likely only going to be brighter. I have my blue LEDs ordered and they should be here in a couple days and I'll try to get em put in this week and let you know how bright they are.
Old 11-15-10, 03:09 PM
Tank
Racer

Cool

Originally Posted by svagusta
wow those are a little bright. look good though. matches your double DIN very well.

I wouldnt change the circ button just yet man. White is most likely only going to be brighter. I have my blue LEDs ordered and they should be here in a couple days and I'll try to get em put in this week and let you know how bright they are.
yea I know, need shades just to look at.. changin some of them to white.. good luck with your install.