Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

How to replace HID bulb? 6000k anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-02, 01:53 PM
GS300.ru
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace HID bulb? 6000k anybody?

I have stock HID system on GS 300. The original bulbs are so dull, the output of Lexus HID 1998 is the worst on the road. When I see Acuras and new Lexuses on the road I start drulling. The output is 200% higher than mine. Is there a difference beetween my bulbs and new ones lexus uses on IS 300 and LX 400.
What temperature old bulbs are 4500k or something. I?m thinking to get new Philips 6000k bulbs on internet and replace them. I need a ?How to? for HID bulb replacement. I don?t even know how to remove the black cover on the back of the lamp. Do I need to disconnect the battery? Any help is appreciated. Any shops in Bay Area that can help?
Old 02-27-02, 03:04 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

remove the cover and take out the old bulb and put in the new bulb. it's just like replacing halogen bulbs.

6000ks are very bright. I had them before and they're brighter than factory HIDs (4100k or 4300k)
Old 02-27-02, 05:09 PM
GS300.ru
Pole Position

Talking

Thank You GlobeCLK!
I have more questions. You have changed your HID bulbs several times already, as you said. How do you open that black round plastic door on the back of the lamp assembly, turn , twist or just pull? How to remove the bulb, how is it secured? I have never seen HID bulb, I have no clue how it sits.
Is it beeter to buy the bulbs at www.suvlights.com or http://www.autolites.net/ultinon.htm , sounds like those are the same bulbs for around $300 pair?
Did you compare your output to othe BMW and MB lights, is it on the same level?

Thank You All kind Lex people for help
Old 02-27-02, 06:13 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ray why did u take out ur new bulbs. thanks
Old 02-27-02, 06:36 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

On Y2K GS, I replace my by first open the gray plastic cover. Inside the cover, you will see wires attach to the D2R bulb. Remove the wire harness first. You will also see a wire like holder... secure the bulb in place. Push in the holder then open them.
Old 02-27-02, 06:42 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

I start my replace on the passenger side.. Let me tell you, this is a very time consuming process. You need a skinny hand and a lot of patient to understand how the wire holder is hold the buld in place. I took me a while. The driver side is even worse. You need even skinner hand than the passenger side...

Good.. luck... remember, the wire holder will need to be push.. while push in.. slide them to the side. Do not use force..

When I done my.. I have quite a few scratch on my hand.... and I consider myself a small hand already...
Old 02-27-02, 10:13 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by GS300.ru
Thank You GlobeCLK!
I have more questions. You have changed your HID bulbs several times already, as you said. How do you open that black round plastic door on the back of the lamp assembly, turn , twist or just pull? How to remove the bulb, how is it secured? I have never seen HID bulb, I have no clue how it sits.
Is it beeter to buy the bulbs at www.suvlights.com or http://www.autolites.net/ultinon.htm , sounds like those are the same bulbs for around $300 pair?

Shinchan said everything I could about installation.

The 6000ks I got before are packaged alittle different.... they were PHILIPS ULTINONS. Now these COOL XENONS are what people said they used to be the ultinons. I don't know about that but seems like that's true. If so 300 a pair is a great price. When I had it it was about 550 a pair.

I've compared to BMW 330ci and S2000 projectors and these 6000ks are brighter. But I'm not sure what would happen if those projectors get 6000k also. They tend to be bright as heck.

Another thing, don't get the D2S for the GS! Some people do that because they think that since D2S bulbs are brighter, they'll be brighter on the GS as well. Phiilps highly doesn't recommend that at all. D2S are for projectors only and might cause problems. For the GS use D2R.

Originally posted by LexusRules
ray why did u take out ur new bulbs. thanks
I got pulled over for flashing my lowbeams now it's okay I guess. More people have these, even Altima has HIDs!
Old 03-02-02, 11:30 AM
GS300.ru
Pole Position

Most likely I will install those 6000k bulbs
The last question: How about cops? Will those draw more light than any BMW or MB? Have you had any problems with that?

Thanks
Old 03-02-02, 11:34 AM
GS300.ru
Pole Position

The last question: How about cops? Will those draw more light than any BMW or MB? Have you had any problems with that?
All web sites are aying for off road only. I don't mind that but don't want to be bothered every mile.

Thanks
Old 03-02-02, 12:57 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: How to replace HID bulb? 6000k anybody?

I have stock HID system on GS 300. The original bulbs are so dull, the output of Lexus HID 1998 is the worst on the road. When I see Acuras and new Lexuses on the road I start drulling. The output is 200% higher than mine. Is there a difference beetween my bulbs and new ones lexus uses on IS 300 and LX 400.
What temperature old bulbs are 4500k or something. I?m thinking to get new Philips 6000k bulbs on internet and replace them. I need a ?How to? for HID bulb replacement. I don?t even know how to remove the black cover on the back of the lamp. Do I need to disconnect the battery? Any help is appreciated. Any shops in Bay Area that can help?
keep in mind that they might not have stock HID and there for it could be one of those 7k or 8k HID, stock HID comes with either 4k or 6k, in your case probably 4k, i'm already ordered 8K HID, i should be geting them soon, i'll install them and i'll post a picture for you and if you want i can help you to get them .. cheap
Old 03-02-02, 12:59 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Thank You GlobeCLK!

you need to twist black round plastic wheel, do NOT pull.
it's fairly easy, just open the hood and see it yourself ... if somethin write us we'll answer (keep hood open) 'cause we replay quick
Old 03-02-02, 01:03 PM
alexus
Pole Position

All web sites are aying for off road only. I don't mind that but don't want to be bothered every mile.

Thanks
heh, well you probably wont get pull over because of that but you know cops.. if they relly want it they'll pull you over and issue you ticket just about for anything.. i'm putin 8K i'm not worry about cops
Old 03-02-02, 05:13 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

I have my Phillip 6K for over a month now... not bother by police at all! Phillip 6K is definitely look better than MB or BMW... but just a bit more blue than AUDI.. You won't be bother by police at all.. Just don't turn the light on when they are infront of you. The first minute worm up is very very blue.

Now 8K... Definitely look Illegal... way too blue attract more Police than you can say.. Sxxt not again..
Old 03-02-02, 05:15 PM
GS300.ru
Pole Position

Thanks for help everibody!!!!!!!!!!
I have done some research today. I did open the cover, than I made loose two metal wire peaces (I have no idea what do they hold). Than I see big metal cover and the huge wire going into that metal cover. I also see two screws on the side of the metal wire. I was trying two pull that metal cover but it did not work
What do I do next to remove the bulb. Help me ! I'm lost.

I guess I could post some pics of what I see
Old 03-02-02, 05:24 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Where's the cheapest place to get 6000k D2R bulbs for my HID?

Quick Reply: How to replace HID bulb? 6000k anybody?