Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Are PIAA bulbs worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-04, 05:44 PM
AWay
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are PIAA bulbs worth it?

I'm upgrading my high beams and fog lights with new bulbs for my 2000 GS. I see PIAA makes both 9005 and 9006 bulbs in their "extreme white" to meet my needs, but cost $77 for each pair. So that's $154 for them.

I go to autolamps online.com just to see what they have to offer and they have their "premium" bulbs available in my size for like $35 a pair. Supposed to put 30% more light on the road than regular bulbs...

Anyway, I've owned PIAA's in the past and I can comment on how well they perform, but this time around I'm really not going for the blue look or to match my xenons, I really just want nice white bright bulbs for my lights. I guess what I'm wondering is if the PIAA "extreme plasma ion fission" bulbs will fit what I'm looking for or if these "premium" bulbs will suffice just as well. I really don't mind spending the extra $ on the PIAA's, but if it's just to make the bulbs have a cool color to them, then I think I'd rather spend the $ elsewhere.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 01-20-04, 07:58 PM
MSBoy
Lead Lap

From what I understand, PIAA bulbs will last longer then the $15 - $45 equivalent bulbs. An independent vendor explained to me that PIAA's light output is "touted" by PIAA as "more HID-like" and "brighter" and "will outlast the cheeper brands" (Up to a year and a half. Knock-offs are generally 6 - 9 months). Well, according to the independent vendor, the only real valid claim PIAA has is the longevity of their bulbs. I suppose they use a more quality glass and filament but the actually light output quality is not any better than the knock-offs. So if longevity is worth the $70+ in your estimation, then PIAA apparently is the way to go.
Old 01-20-04, 11:06 PM
SC2FAST4U
Driver School Candidate

I have piaa's on my sc300. And yes, they do last much longer than all the other bulbs I've used. Quality is great also. To me, its worth the money, but I'm getting some Philips HIDs soon.
Old 01-21-04, 01:22 PM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I picke up a pair of the PIAA Plasma Spark Blue 7500k 9006 bulb a few months ago and ended up switching them out after a month b/c I ran across a good deal on an HID kit. If your interesed I dont really have any use for them. They were a dramatic improvement from the stock bulbs and look very much like HID's when on since they are 7500k. They ran me $120 but I would let them go for a reasonble price. If your interested let me know.
Old 01-21-04, 01:49 PM
AWay
Rookie

See I don't want 7500k or a color to match xenons. 4100k xenons are fine with me (and tough to find at this point, everyone seems to be selling 6000k) and when it comes to regular halogen bulbs I just want something that is bright and white. Not "plasma spark blue". And no offense but c'mon, how ridiculous are these names getting?

SUV-lights.com has a selection of bulbs I've been browsing that look good. Philips and Sylvania both make bulbs that are supposed to be 30% brighter than regular halogens with no blue coating or plasma terminology along with them. And to top it off, there like 12 bucks each!

I think this is the direction I'm gonna go.

Last edited by AWay; 01-21-04 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-21-04, 02:38 PM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have heard good things about the sylvania silverstars ( I think thats what they are called) which are supposed to be pretty good as far as increasing lighting and they don't look like xenon's if thats what you want and I believe they are only like 15 or 20 bucks a pop which isnt too bad.
I think they are actually available at most auot parts stores which makes it convenient.
Old 01-21-04, 04:37 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have PIAA Xtreme Whites in my highs and have had them for over a year now. My DRLs are always on, so these bulbs get alot of use. The white is crisp and clean, when the highs are on, it is incredible.

I also had a set of PIAA Xtreme White Plus fogs. These I switched out for the PIAA Ion Crystals almost a year ago. I like the look of a yellow fog better. They are always on when my headlights are on and they are still going strong. The Xtreme White fogs matched the highs very well. As a matter of fact, CL member lexusk8 has had my old bulbs in his 01 ES since last summer/spring and I think they are still going.

Silverstars are good, too. I put one of those in my motorcycle.

Either way, you can't go wrong. Flip the coin and see which wins.

steviej
Old 01-21-04, 05:58 PM
AWay
Rookie

well for the price I think the Sylvania's are gonna win.
Old 02-16-04, 12:24 PM
BostonGS4
Pole Position

I used to have PIAA Extreme white headlights in my old car....they are cool...just alittle bit whiter than normal halogens...so you get white without the riceness of most superwhites.

The price you listed is way high, can deff ind cheaper/

Also, if you dont mind alittle blue in the color, get the PIAA Spark Blue bulbs.
Can get the pair for like 100ish...but worth it.

emulate hids REALLY well.

I have stock HIDs in my 400 and use the Spark blues in my fogs. look great.
Old 02-16-04, 10:56 PM
VP500
Driver School Candidate

I love my piaas for the drls