Lexus Prototypes and Next-Gen Technology

Doing What We Can To Be Green

Old 12-05-11, 06:45 PM
tapau
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Doing What We Can To Be Green

Hi everyone ... just had to post how happy I am that my family is doing what we can to be green. I drive a Lexus RX450h and my husband just picked up his Nissan Leaf ALL ELECTRIC CAR !!!!!

First ones to own a Leaf in Broward County, Florida.

Feeling GREAT

Last edited by tapau; 12-06-11 at 04:54 AM.
Old 02-13-12, 03:49 PM
Tpcorr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the new aquisition. Have fun!

Tom
Old 04-17-12, 04:49 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder how much did that Leaf cost to the tax payer in subsidised cost? Each "Volt" (similar car type as a Leaf) that is sold up to date, has a cost of almost $250,000 to tax payers after grants, tax credits and subsidies.
Hybrid cars also carry a heavy tax cost to the rest of the people. Also, how much greeniness is produced by the manufacturing process of those battaries and disposal of them? Who knows...
Old 04-26-12, 01:45 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tapau
Hi everyone ... just had to post how happy I am that my family is doing what we can to be green. I drive a Lexus RX450h and my husband just picked up his Nissan Leaf ALL ELECTRIC CAR !!!!!

Feeling GREAT
I have the RX400h and am thinking of a Leaf or I (Mitsubishi) as a second car. Got to keep the RX400h as I require All Wheel Drive for the winter. The big but I have is when will Lexus market the RX all electric. Good Luck with the Leaf. I want to drive the Leaf, Mitsubishi I, and Rav4 EV then decide. I do like the Tesla Model S and X also.
Old 04-30-12, 11:39 AM
movin_up
Driver

Originally Posted by Globalinx
I wonder how much did that Leaf cost to the tax payer in subsidised cost? Each "Volt" (similar car type as a Leaf) that is sold up to date, has a cost of almost $250,000 to tax payers after grants, tax credits and subsidies.
Hybrid cars also carry a heavy tax cost to the rest of the people. Also, how much greeniness is produced by the manufacturing process of those battaries and disposal of them? Who knows...
When I saw the thread title I was hoping someone posted this so I didn't have to.
Old 05-10-12, 11:04 AM
wesuri
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tapau

Feeling GREAT
Is there good support for all electrics in your town on Florida?
I know a few select shopping malls and restaurant rows here have provision for electric...
Old 05-11-12, 08:24 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Globalinx

And how much tax revenue is lost when someone burns fuel over the life an ICE-based car due to tax breaks E&Ps receive for drilling an oil wells, the tax breaks some pipeline companies receives for construction of new lines, or the tax breaks a refinery receives for building the refinery in the first place? What about the tax break the shipping company receives on their fuel costs and tires and depreciation of the truck and trailer used to transport the fuel to a local station? What about the tax break the gas station owner receives for other typical business expenses?

This is a pedantic point to bring up because no matter what you buy, someone, somewhere, is getting a tax break.
Old 05-26-12, 09:52 AM
nantang
Driver

The old "hybrids put out more emissions" gag... research and development is energy-expensive. But, if we're going to spend energy and crank out emissions inventing vehicles, we're better off in the long run doing it to invent ones that don't add to the problem after they've been invented.

There was an urban legend that the Prius cost more in terms of pollution than a Hummer. Check out Snopes.com; that myth was debunked a long time ago. People who don't want to be eco-minded don't like being around others who are. It's like being the smokers standing outside, while other people cough and gag around them. Popular culture makes fun of the Prius and hybrids, portraying hybrid drivers as smug and arrogant. In the real world, however, I find the smug arrogance coming from the drivers of monster pickups who insist on making fun of hybrids and touting fake science factoids to make themselves feel better.

It's a lot like high school, where we geeks and nerds were picked on. (Thanks to Steve Jobs and Bill Gates, geeks and nerds are no longer the underdogs. So, the rest of you better start brushing up on the differences between Star Wars and Star Trek...)