Sponsored by:

battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-03, 08:01 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default battery

wasn't sure where to put this, cus it involves lighting and electronics and a battery. if u guys could move to where u think it belongs , that would b fine. ok. i already have all my pieces for my system. now i went to a couple of places to price out a custom install in the trunk. now i decided on a place but he told me that even though i have a 1 farad capacitor that i would still need a dry cell battery for the trunk cus the farad cap wouldn't b enough. and that at night my head lights would still dim a little in and out with the music high. so i left, than hada couple friends tell me that since i have hid's in the head lights and fogs , that they don't dim cus of the ballasts or something like that. anyone know what i do and don't need.

i'm ready to install the following :

clarion vrx935vd+6 disc changer
2-audiobahn avm170q 7" tv's already installed in redone front headrest
audiobahn abp122q 800wt 2-12" sub box
audiobahn a3201q 2-channel 840wt amp 300x2
audiobahn a4401q 4-channel 300wt amp 70x4
audiobahn acap1q 24 volt 1 farad capacitor
mb quart dsc213 front components
mb quart dsc216 rear components

with all this running will i really need that battery or is the cap enough ? also will hid's really dim a little with loud music or not? ....and last off any ideas , pics on a trunk design ,something clean.....i need to know by mon. thats when the car is going in. would appreciate any answers or comments on this subject
Old 03-19-03, 08:15 AM
skier1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bluelex, I guess my question would be is how much power will this system draw? In other words, how much current (AMPS). The 1 farad capacitor is kinda like a battery, but I believe it's main function is to filter or absorb noise that is generated from the alternator. This will give you clean power to your components. The second battery is a nice thing, but remember, the alternator is what is powering everything in the car. The battery is just for starting the car. For example, if your battery is dead, you can jumpstart the car. It stays running because the alternator is providing power. So, depending on how loud you play your system, will the stock alternator be able to keep up with powering all of the other things in the car plus the stereo system? Good question. Sure others will say that with 2 batteries, you should have no problem. But they will go dead soon if the alternator doesn't charge them. I guess you could play your system for a while. If the batteries go dead then you alternator can't keep up with the power demand. Or, play it for a while, then turn it down, drive the car for a while and let the alternator charge them back up. If your alternator can handle this extra load, then you should have no problems. If this is trus, then you won't need a second battery. If you alternater goes bad soon after you put in your system, then you know that it couldn't handle the strain, or it was on it's way out and you just gave it a push! hee hee.
Old 03-19-03, 08:23 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by skier1
bluelex, I guess my question would be is how much power will this system draw? In other words, how much current (AMPS). The 1 farad capacitor is kinda like a battery, but I believe it's main function is to filter or absorb noise that is generated from the alternator. This will give you clean power to your components. The second battery is a nice thing, but remember, the alternator is what is powering everything in the car. The battery is just for starting the car. For example, if your battery is dead, you can jumpstart the car. It stays running because the alternator is providing power. So, depending on how loud you play your system, will the stock alternator be able to keep up with powering all of the other things in the car plus the stereo system? Good question. Sure others will say that with 2 batteries, you should have no problem. But they will go dead soon if the alternator doesn't charge them. I guess you could play your system for a while. If the batteries go dead then you alternator can't keep up with the power demand. Or, play it for a while, then turn it down, drive the car for a while and let the alternator charge them back up. If your alternator can handle this extra load, then you should have no problems. If this is trus, then you won't need a second battery. If you alternater goes bad soon after you put in your system, then you know that it couldn't handle the strain, or it was on it's way out and you just gave it a push! hee hee.
i'd b lieing if i knew how much power i was going to draw altogether, but i won't really use the sytem that loud to much cus my wife is in the car most places we go, but every so often i would like to pump it up, when i'm alone . but have u head about this hid's dimming thing true not true? not sure?
Old 03-19-03, 09:12 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Bluelex,
the cap is the temporary storage medium for heavy bass, when the bass hit, the power will be drawn out from your cap and battery, so you get more power for that bass hit (this will help the dimming light problem when the bass hit), (the cap charges up very quickly by the battery/car and ready for the next hit guessing lesser 1/100 of the second, so you look a the cap as a battery helper, it does help low down spike in the DC voltage (like skier1 said), but you won't need 1F for that hee hee)

Replacing battery is because the stock battery is not designed for constant HIGH current draws from the big amps, you can use your stock battery until it dies on you, no problem with that, and it will die quickly depend on how loud are you playing. If you don't play very loud, the battery should last pretty "long" ie I am talking about months to years here. But if you turn up the volume constantly, it probably last you a month or so before your battery is out of juice permanently.

Optima battery is a good choice, good warranty and easy to get, Red top or Yellow top (more serious)

Just replace your stock battery with the Optima, I seriously don't think you need an extra battery with the list of amp that you have, you can always add more battery if you needed. My friend ran close to 1000W on a Camaro with just an Red top battery in stock place, and it works fine for years. He had 2 12" JL audio subs and they really shake the street sign when the car pass by heee hee. (dual amp set up also)

Last edited by BananaGS; 03-19-03 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-19-03, 11:35 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by BananaGS
Bluelex,
the cap is the temporary storage medium for heavy bass, when the bass hit, the power will be drawn out from your cap and battery, so you get more power for that bass hit (this will help the dimming light problem when the bass hit), (the cap charges up very quickly by the battery/car and ready for the next hit guessing lesser 1/100 of the second, so you look a the cap as a battery helper, it does help low down spike in the DC voltage (like skier1 said), but you won't need 1F for that hee hee)

Replacing battery is because the stock battery is not designed for constant HIGH current draws from the big amps, you can use your stock battery until it dies on you, no problem with that, and it will die quickly depend on how loud are you playing. If you don't play very loud, the battery should last pretty "long" ie I am talking about months to years here. But if you turn up the volume constantly, it probably last you a month or so before your battery is out of juice permanently.

Optima battery is a good choice, good warranty and easy to get, Red top or Yellow top (more serious)

Just replace your stock battery with the Optima, I seriously don't think you need an extra battery with the list of amp that you have, you can always add more battery if you needed. My friend ran close to 1000W on a Camaro with just an Red top battery in stock place, and it works fine for years. He had 2 12" JL audio subs and they really shake the street sign when the car pass by heee hee. (dual amp set up also)
ok, thank u very much 4 the info, where can i get that red or yellow top optima battery autozone? plus do hid's dim? or does the ballast prevent that from happening like or bulbs would.?
Old 03-19-03, 02:46 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

ok, thank u very much 4 the info, where can i get that red or yellow top optima battery autozone? plus do hid's dim? or does the ballast prevent that from happening like or bulbs would.?

some Autozone carry Red top optima, that is where I got them, they don't have Yellow top.
BatteryPlus or any performance shop or audioshop will have both of them, like Custom Sounds, Fry's,Bestbuy....

never see HID dimming before, not quite possible (but it could happen) HID run at 1000V or something due to the ballast, as long as you have the minimim voltage at the ballast all the time, 1000V will be no problem, hee hee. I think if the input voltage drop, HID actually turn off to protect the ballast/bulbs from being overloaded

Have anyone seen HID dim before due to the loud music? only fake HID or hallogen bulbs do it hee hee

Last edited by BananaGS; 03-19-03 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-19-03, 07:55 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by BananaGS

some Autozone carry Red top optima, that is where I got them, they don't have Yellow top.
BatteryPlus or any performance shop or audioshop will have both of them, like Custom Sounds, Fry's,Bestbuy....

never see HID dimming before, not quite possible (but it could happen) HID run at 1000V or something due to the ballast, as long as you have the minimim voltage at the ballast all the time, 1000V will be no problem, hee hee. I think if the input voltage drop, HID actually turn off to protect the ballast/bulbs from being overloaded

Have anyone seen HID dim before due to the loud music? only fake HID or hallogen bulbs do it hee hee
so in your opinion should i go 4 the yellow or red top battery, what is the price difference?
Old 03-19-03, 09:23 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

call

www.summitracing.com

they have decent prices on optimas