Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Head unit help please... sound system guys help please!

Old 02-16-13, 04:55 AM
Volume123
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head unit help please... sound system guys help please!

Well, I went to install my double din pioneer 7 inch p4200 today...I have ddone this many times so I had confidence going into it. Anyways, I swapped everything perfectly, from my previous single din headunit, it was basically a unplug and plug back in, except for the multi plug. Being as both were pioneer everything was in the same position so to say, but the actual plug itself was swapped, the clip was on the opposite side stopping it from fitting in my new head unit. So naturally, which I should not have done but I've done it before, I pulled out each wire and put it into the same spot but on my NEW HEADUNITS multi plug.

After I finished with about 16 wires, I plugged in the multi plug, subwoofer and power plug to my new head unit. Worked perfectly with all of the speakers, but the subwoofer wasnt working.... I shouldn't have even messed with it after this point because this is where I messed up. I kept unplugging and plugging in the wires on the multi plug (the black and yellows on the ends, the biggest wires on the multi plug which are the 12v power supply and black is the ground if I am not mistaken) now at this point, if you've ever done this before the wires get easier and easier to pull out because the multi plug gets weaker.... which isn't good... anyways, after plugging and unplugging them numerous times because I thought they were just simply loose so I had to get it right.. which is totally wrong but I thought it might make the sub work...

Anyways, after the last time I tried to unplug, it just stopped working all together, the yellow fell out so I just figured, "ok plug it back in and it should work again after shutting off my cars power" ... Nope didnt work at all anymore, and is still not working... wtf could have happened? A short? A fuse somewhere? I checked the fuse on the headunit itself and put a new one in even, didnt help at all.... what else starting at the cheapest fix could it be? Everything in my car still works electronically just not the head unit... the climate above it works and so on.. I checked the "radio 2" fuse in the kick panel fuse box, changed it, didn't help anything...

I then took out all of the pins in the multi plug and put them back in the single dins multi plug, that headunit doesnt work either now... I'm assuming it might be the wires (the yellow and black) or the plug that all of them come from? Do those plugs themselves just blow out? I even got new black and yellow wires, cut the previous off at the same point of where they were connected before, AFTER the plug all of the wires are coming from but of course before the multi plug, and soldered the new ones on, so I don't think its the personal wires themselves, but are there single fuses for each wire or for each plug coming from the stock system?

New to the sc300's system... so I dont even know for sure what or where the exact fuses are and really don't know what could be blown out... I'm pretty sure the last time the head unit worked before it stopped working the yellow/black wires may have touched each other or something... I'm sure this would cause a short but how would I fix this? I know it isn't my head unit since I tried both head units and the fuses weren't blown or anything, which I assume would happen before the head unit itself shorts...It could easily just be the wires though and I'm assuming since the yellow wire is the power, and black the ground , it is one of them. Where exactly even is the ground connected too? I need to check that as well, hopefully that is all that is messed up....

*******PROBLEM WAS MY FUSE FOR THIS PART, BUT THE REAL ISSUE IS DOWN BELOW NOW******

I have looked at that thread, Honestly, I do not care about the stock sub, and since I do not use the stock speakers anyways, All I want to work is the sub/amp... AFTERMARKET sub amp that is.... It simply is just not working with this head unit, at this point I'm thinking it is either the rca outs on my head unit that are broken, or for whatever reason this aftermarket amp just does not work with my head unit. One question might answer this for me, Do aftermarket sub amps get power without being plugged into the head unit? Since it is still technically hooked up to the battery, shouldn't it atleast have power? Whether being hooked up to my head unit or not, shouldnt the amp have power and show the power light when my car is on regardless?

Btw there is not a metra hooked up, Like I was saying before, with the previous single din aftermarket pioneer headunit, EVERYTHING including the stock sub, stock amps, aftermarket amps, and aftermarket sub were ALL working, when I go to plug in my new double din p4200 head unit , ONLY the speakers work, and there is NO POWER to the aftermarket sub 2 channel amp. Wtf could possibly be interferring with power to the after market amp specifically because of the change of the headunit? I have tried to switch back to the previous single din but still aftermarket head unit which is also pioneer, and everyhing works flawlessly, it is only when I change to my much better head unit and much newer head unit, is when only the speakers work. Could it possibly be that this aftermarket amp for whatever reason does not work with this headunit?

My best question at this point which I already stated but i'm sure many can answer, can an aftermarket amp for a sub show that it is getting power( little green power light) even if it isn't plugged into a head unit. I would assume it would since it is directly connected to the battery, but if it doesn't get power without being connected to a head unit, then that would pretty much say that my headunit is no good, or at least the rca outs for the subwoofer outs are just not working or applicable with this specific amp...

Last edited by Volume123; 02-17-13 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-16-13, 05:28 AM
Volume123
Driver

Ok I'm pretty positive it is just fuses, but I guess I have to look up where the radio 1 fuse is.. the radio 2 fuse looked fine... and so did the headunits fuse... could be the ground too I guess but i have no idea where the previous owner grounded. Where is the stock ground ?
Old 02-16-13, 06:46 AM
Volume123
Driver

yep im dumb, it was just the front panel fuse, BUT I still have the problem with the sub not working!! The amp and sub totally works with the other pioneer single din, but my p4200 the sub is not working?! It just worked in my other car with my jl w7 12, but now this sub is not working with my p4200, Im plugging it into the "swl and swr" right and left, white and red, rca's on the back of the p4200.... just like how it was with the other single din pioneer, BUT I do not remember if something else was plugged in on the p4200 for the subwoofer... i wouldnt imagine what else there could be? Literally the light on my amp won't even come on when attacked to my p4200 double din, but with the single din, the power light comes on...
Old 02-16-13, 06:59 AM
Volume123
Driver

The amp is a 2 channel BTW if that makes any difference of where I should plug the rca's into on the back of my unit... I normally use a d mono... but this came with the car. Also, does anyone know if I will be able to use this this amp/ sub setup (its a 10 no name brand, probly only about 500 watts) and my jl 12 w7 with a 2000 d mono amp as well? Will I be able to use both of them with this head unit? Also if I want to, which I probably will, can I use this 2 channel amp with the pioneer speakers instead and get rid of this amp? Right now I am using the stock amp/sub and the amp in the head unit to power the pioneer speakers.
Old 02-16-13, 07:02 AM
Volume123
Driver

sorry forgot to mention, the tweeters don't seem to be working either with my p4200... I havn't tested to see if they work with the other unit and do not want to take apart the multi plug again...any other options as to why they would not be working?
Old 02-16-13, 10:32 AM
Batiatus
Driver School Candidate

Ok your posts are a little confusing. You have a lot going on there but I'll try to help.

For the amp not powering on I would check the remote turn on lead wire. I'm also confused on what amps you are using with what speakers. If your still using the stock sub amp but you plan on replacing them, then you might just want to put in your aftermarket amp and sub right now to make it easier on yourself. The stock amp will take some tricks to work with your head unit. You have to run a wire from the head unit to get it to turn on which is why it might not be working.

As for using the amps. I would use the 2 channel for the pioneer speakers. And just the mono with the sub. I looked up the head unit and it has 3 sets of preamp outputs so your good there.

For the tweeters not working you might have to take the door panel off to see if they are wired together with the woofers. I don't know if you have the stock speakers in there or not but if they are stock they should be wired together. If not then get a crossover and wire them together with that.
Old 02-16-13, 10:59 AM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

honestly, in this situation, if it were me, i would be running all new wiring and not messing with the stock wiring. thats what ive done for all my sound systems. that way its a lot easier to knw where youve screwed up
Old 02-16-13, 08:30 PM
Volume123
Driver

Ok well, I am simply looking to use the setup that was already ready so to say. It was just the whole stock system plus a 2 channel and sub attached only to the 2 chan. Which I didn't change anything at all only it's just right when I switch head units, the amp stops getting power... the original head unit, aftermarket amp for the sub works perfectly , I switch to new head unit, the aftermarket amp simply just does not work anymore.
Old 02-16-13, 08:39 PM
thm8d
Pole Position

Okay, I just took a really quick glance at what you posted above. I'm not sure if you ran a Mantra kit or something but, the problem with plug and play kits is that it doesn't allow you to run it with the stock amp. When I attempted it, I got a frequency interference. I ended up bypass all of that and ran the wire directly into the stock harness and bypassed the stock amp. I'm currently running a aftermarket amp and a 10" sub in my stock spot. You could bypass the stock amp and run a conversion from the stock harness into a RCA output to the stock sub.

Please follow raine's DIY thread. Very useful and informative!

Good luck

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...b-working.html
Old 02-17-13, 06:16 AM
Volume123
Driver

I have looked at that thread, Honestly, I do not care about the stock sub, and since I do not use the stock speakers anyways, All I want to work is the sub/amp... AFTERMARKET sub amp that is.... It simply is just not working with this head unit, at this point I'm thinking it is either the rca outs on my head unit that are broken, or for whatever reason this aftermarket amp just does not work with my head unit. One question might answer this for me, Do aftermarket sub amps get power without being plugged into the head unit? Since it is still technically hooked up to the battery, shouldn't it atleast have power? Whether being hooked up to my head unit or not, shouldnt the amp have power and show the power light when my car is on regardless?

Btw there is not a metra hooked up, Like I was saying before, with the previous single din aftermarket pioneer headunit, EVERYTHING including the stock sub, stock amps, aftermarket amps, and aftermarket sub were ALL working, when I go to plug in my new double din p4200 head unit , ONLY the speakers work, and there is NO POWER to the aftermarket sub 2 channel amp. Wtf could possibly be interferring with power to the after market amp specifically because of the change of the headunit? I have tried to switch back to the previous single din but still aftermarket head unit which is also pioneer, and everyhing works flawlessly, it is only when I change to my much better head unit and much newer head unit, is when only the speakers work. Could it possibly be that this aftermarket amp for whatever reason does not work with this headunit?

My best question at this point which I already stated but i'm sure many can answer, can an aftermarket amp for a sub show that it is getting power( little green power light) even if it isn't plugged into a head unit. I would assume it would since it is directly connected to the battery, but if it doesn't get power without being connected to a head unit, then that would pretty much say that my headunit is no good, or at least the rca outs for the subwoofer outs are just not working or applicable with this specific amp...

Last edited by Volume123; 02-17-13 at 06:23 AM.
Old 02-17-13, 08:43 AM
Batiatus
Driver School Candidate

I don't know if you messed with any of the wires on the amp but if you didn't then something isn't hooked up right up from the stereo. It doesn't have anything to do the the RCA plugs. All they do is carry the sound signal to the amp. It's either your remote turn on wire which tells the amp to turn on or the amp somehow got fried which you would probably know because of the smell. It could also be the fuse to the amp if you haven't checked that. You know, the one that goes from the battery. Maybe even check to see if the sub output is turned on in the head unit. I know some can turn it off.

If all that fails there is a way to make the amp turn on from the battery power. First either disconnect the battery or take the fuse to the amp out. Then disconnect your amp turn on wire from the amp. You need to use a spare piece of wire and connect it to the amps positive power terminal and to the amps turn on lead connector. Make sure to leave the amps power cable connected too. Then go put the fuse to the amp back in or reconnect the battery. The amp should turn on if its good. Just don't leave it like that or it will drain your battery.

If that worked then the only thing I can think of is that your amps turn on wire isn't connected to your stereo right. If you can't find the wire that was used then the previous person that installed the system might have piggybacked from another wire in the car. If so then trace it from the amp.

Before I replaced the stock head unit I just ran an aftermarket sub and amp and I tapped into the stock systems wires to the sub just like the link in thm8d's post. That might be where the turn on wire is from if you cant find it.
Old 02-17-13, 10:40 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Connect your amp's remote/signal wire to a constant 12v source an see if the amp turns on. This will help you to rule out whether it's your head unit or your amp causing the problem. If it still doesn't turn on, make sure your amps power and ground wires are connected securely, and make sure your ground is good as well (securely fastened to bare unpainted metal that is directly on the frame). If your powr and ground are good an your remote/signal is connected to a 12v source. Next check your amps fuses. Pull them out and visually inspect them for continuity of the metal inside. Sometimes fuses can look good but still be busted, so if you can buy a new set of fuses if they don't look obviously burnt and try them out.

Broken fuses can,either be burnt on the inside, or there can be a visual break in the metal. Now at this point if your fuses are good, your remote/signal is good, your power and ground are good, then there is something wrong with the board on your amp. If you've got a little know-how you can remove the faceplate an visually inspect the mosfets, power supply, and solder joints for the power, ground, and remote/signal wire... but I'm assumin you don't have the know-how, and the explanation would take way too long. So at this point I'd try and cash in on the manufacturer's warranty.

Do you have a DMM (Digital Multi-meter)? If so you can use this to check voltage from power to ground and to also check voltage on your remote/signal wire. This will make your life a bit easier as you can trouble shoot anything a lot easier with this simple tool. One can be had for anywhere between $16-$120 at home depot or Lowes or any hardware/DIY store. If you are going to be messing with your cars electrical system this is always a great tool to have to help you out and a must-have for anyon with a serious system.

*EDIT*
Also, to answer your question, amplifiers do not get power from the battery when they are not on. That is the purpose of the remote/signal wire. When that wire is hooked up to a 12v source, it turns the amp on and the amp starts pulling power from the battery. When that wire is not getting power the amp does not turn on. The most common place to hook that up is to your head unit's remote/signal line, that way the amp turns on whenever the head unit is on. However that is not necessarily where some people install them. On my last car for instance I had several pieces of audio equipment to turn on and did not want them all sucking power from my head units puny remote/signal wire. So I used a relay to make one slightly bigger remote/signal line that was run directly to the battery and switched on whenever the key was turned to accessory mode. Other people will sometimes tap into the fusebox to unused fuses that are hot when the key is in accessory mode. Anyways, this is all mostly irrelevant. The RCA's have nothing to do with your amplifier turning on or off. Test your remote/signal wire to see if it is getting current when the car is on. You need it to be getting current whenever you want to be able to listen to music.

Last edited by eknine9; 02-17-13 at 11:02 AM. Reason: *EDIT*
Old 02-17-13, 10:09 PM
Volume123
Driver

Ok everything you guys said all makes sense, so really the rca's do not matter as long as the remote turn on wires is connected properly to my head unit or a 12v power source, which I assume the 12v power source is technically from the headunit since the headunit is connected to the battery in a system which when you turn your HU on the amps turn on with it, correct? So anyways, the remote turn on wire is the small yellow wire I assume coming from my aftermarket subs amp going to the head unit which plugs into the multi plug of the head unit, I didn't install the system since it was a used car I purchased, but it looks as though the remote wire is plugged into a piggy back which then goes to the back of the headunit. I assume this yellow wire is the 12v supply because when I single this wire out of the multi plug, with the head unit on and unplug just that wire, the head unit turns off. Also this yellow wire follows the rca males from my aftermarket head unit...

The only thing that still does not make sense to me is that the previous single din headunit works perfectly with the aftermarket amp and the amp and sub turn on perfectly, once I switch over everything , every wire, to the new double din unit, the amp/sub just simply does not turn on...
Old 02-18-13, 06:10 AM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Volume123
The only thing that still does not make sense to me is that the previous single din headunit works perfectly with the aftermarket amp and the amp and sub turn on perfectly, once I switch over everything , every wire, to the new double din unit, the amp/sub just simply does not turn on...
do you still have that single din? try plugging it in again and see if it turns on the amp? if it does, then theres nothing wrong with any of your wiring. that pretty much rules the remote wiring and everything. if thats the case, you probably dont have the output setting right on your deck. i knw on my old kenwood deck wouldnt turn on the amp until i switched one of the outputs in the settings. id suggest taking it to a car stereo place and having them mess with your deck...they probably knw a secret setting on that deck that u dont.
Old 02-18-13, 06:19 AM
Volume123
Driver

Yes it does work with the other head unit like I was saying, Ive switched it a couple times to test and see if it is a problem with the amp or the head unit. I installed this double din p4200 head unit in my other car with my d mono amp/sub setup and it worked perfectly, there aren't some secret settings haha unless possibly with this specific amp. Today I am going to plug in my d mono amp and my old sub, that is the real setup I'm going to be using anyways.

Another problem which may somehow be related, my mast antenna , the stock antenna does not work as in it does not extend electronically with this head unit, with the other head unit it does... is it possibly somethin that has to do with this head unit? I don't understand that part either lol... kinda strange

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Head unit help please... sound system guys help please!