Sponsored by:

Mark Levinson Speaker Replacement

Old 03-02-10, 08:49 PM
Iocca
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by biggieTX
Were you able to get it to work?
yeah it works, im not impressed at all though. I wired it to 4 ohms, not sure what the stock sub was at, but i figured better be safe than sorry and run it at 1 ohm and fry the amp. I think its probably quieter than the ml sub.

Originally Posted by shvc1991
I want to take out my stock sub, but the third brake light... How do I unplug it. It's like my arm is too short or something lol.

Please don't flame; excuse my ignorance.
kind of a pain in the butt, just reach.
Old 03-02-10, 11:00 PM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

That's what I thought, but I just figured I was doing something wrong. I'm going to see if one of my taller friends can get it out for me.
Old 03-03-10, 07:24 PM
biggieTX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't find that sub anymore.....shopping for a suitable replacement. Check my post in the audio forum.
Old 03-03-10, 09:11 PM
Iocca
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by biggieTX
Can't find that sub anymore.....shopping for a suitable replacement. Check my post in the audio forum.
the sub i used? its available still. go to elementaldesigns.com
Old 03-04-10, 06:23 AM
biggieTX
Rookie

Originally Posted by milellie11
The same thing happened to my 02 GS430 with Mark Levinson a couple of years ago. The sub blew and rattled. I replaced it with this JL Audio 10IB4 10" free air subwoofer. This is the way to go my friend! Same 8 ohm configuration as the Mark Levinson sub and it's a direct drop in, no cutting or modification required. What's even better, is of course it's free air, one of the only, if not the only one JL makes. It fits perfectly, but it sounds even better. Cleaner and tighter bass. Mine sounds good just off the factory Mark Levinson amp, the bass was a decent upgrade. But you can also hook up an external amp to run the sub which i heard will make it sound even better. After 2 years, it still sounds great and it's much more durable and better built than the Mark Levinson sub so it will not blow as easily, even if you push it

Anyway, here is where you can purchase it from with free ground shipping:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=2752

Only $129! You can install it yourself, or take it to an audio shop and they'll maybe do it for less than $100 bucks. Either way, you shouldn't end up paying no more than $225 for EVERYTHING and you'll end up with a better sound that will last much longer and cheaper than the Mark Levinson.

Hope i was helpful!
This is the sub i wanted to find. Same 8ohm as the stock sub and people seem to be pleased with the results from it. Does anyone know of a place to buy this sub or a suitable replacement?
Old 03-05-10, 11:41 AM
biggieTX
Rookie

I ended up putting a JL 10 inch 8 ohm sub. Sounds nice but i am not sure that i am out of the woods just yet. My front speakers are 4x louder than my rear and the sub.
Old 04-26-10, 11:26 AM
panther_v
Rookie

has anyone actually re-edged their subwoofer before? i came across this vendor:

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/mer...Category_Code=

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/mer...Category_Code=

this kit is specifically for 10" ML subwoofer in the gs models.

i'm thinking of getting this repair kit....
Old 04-26-10, 01:50 PM
fly-9
Driver School Candidate

My stock ML sub was blown for a while and I finally got around to fixing it. Originally, I was planning on replacing it with the JL 10IB4 but since that speaker is discontinued, I looked into my other options but I didn't want to deal with paying lots of money for another speaker plus an amp and install.

I ended up fixing it myself and it sounds just as good as it did before it broke. I suggest that everyone go down this route before buying a replacement. It took me about 30 minutes and costed only $5.

Remove your rear seats, and pull out the rear shelf that covers the housing of the speaker. Then, all you have to do is get a glue gun, slightly press down the speaker, and glue the surroundings. You'll likely find a tear and it just needs to be mended. Let it dry and put everything back into place. I've been bumping my music for over a week now and it sounds great. The stock sub is awesome in my opinion and I'm sure it'll last me a few more years.
Old 04-26-10, 01:56 PM
panther_v
Rookie

i did some research online. many said liquid tape is another good alternative. i bought a bottle and applied yesterday. i'll give it a try today. if not, this edge rebuild kit will be my next option. the foam around the cone has hardened, so very easy to crack and break.

i also looked into 10IB4, but can't find it anywhere.
Old 04-26-10, 03:17 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a used ML sub for sale. Any takers? send me a pm
Old 05-11-10, 10:55 AM
vfrants
Driver School Candidate

I am looking for a Mark Levinson amplifier that'd fit my 2002 GS300. Please respond to taxesque@gmail.com. Thanks!
Old 05-11-10, 03:20 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a broken one
Old 06-10-10, 12:31 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone using anything besides the JL Audio 10IB4? The JL Audio one is near impossible to find since it was discontinued
Old 06-10-10, 02:45 PM
Bradwillia
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my used one from ebay for around $250 I think. Man I miss Nakamichi!
Old 06-11-10, 12:26 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually have two of these JL Audio 10IB4's that everyone in this thread is looking for lol. I bought them a ways back and never got to using them. when I get around to digging the box out of the basement and installing one, the other will be up for sale here or eBay, wherever I can get more for it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Speaker Replacement