Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Mark Levinson Speaker Replacement

Old 09-10-09, 06:08 PM
jlsgotzmud
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's an easy way to fix a blown ML Sub. I did mine not too long ago and it sounds just like new. Take it out (yes you do have to take out the rear seats, C-pillars and rear deck to get to it). Once you got it out it only takes about 10 min's to fix it. I used Liquid Tape - bought it at Walmart. Applied two even coats all the way around the perimeter (this is where mine was busted) and then dried it with a heat gun. Reinstalled and boom boom boom. If you need help doing this I don't mind to walk you through it. I got the idea from someone on here but can't remember the link. They used a glue gun. I thought the liquid tape would be more flexible and would last longer. Let me know if you need help.

Good luck.
Old 09-11-09, 11:50 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by jlsgotzmud
There's an easy way to fix a blown ML Sub. I did mine not too long ago and it sounds just like new. Take it out (yes you do have to take out the rear seats, C-pillars and rear deck to get to it). Once you got it out it only takes about 10 min's to fix it. I used Liquid Tape - bought it at Walmart. Applied two even coats all the way around the perimeter (this is where mine was busted) and then dried it with a heat gun. Reinstalled and boom boom boom. If you need help doing this I don't mind to walk you through it. I got the idea from someone on here but can't remember the link. They used a glue gun. I thought the liquid tape would be more flexible and would last longer. Let me know if you need help.

Good luck.
it will eventually tear again. it is just a band-aid for this problem not a correct fix
Old 11-07-09, 10:55 PM
lexi4darin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kubs & Milellie11,

Was the JL sub a direct bolt in? How did you get it installed since the ML sub seems to have a strange mount shape?
Old 11-08-09, 06:48 AM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
milellie11, You are the man.... I did exactly as you said and WOOOOOW... It sounds clean, classy and hits hard... I used the existing wiring and ran it to a Alpine Amp and it really sounds amazing... Your post should be the only post to all 2001-2005 GS430 ML sub woe's.... Thanks a million....

Kubs...
Thanks man, glad i could help
Oh yeah, my sub is still going strong. Still sounds as good as it did day 1. Actually, it sounds a little better as the cone has been loosened from the continuous play. I forsee no problems with this sub
Old 11-08-09, 06:50 AM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lexi4darin
Kubs & Milellie11,

Was the JL sub a direct bolt in? How did you get it installed since the ML sub seems to have a strange mount shape?
lexi4darin,

From what i can remember, the sub was a direct drop in. My mechanic (who is not an audio guy) installed it for me. He pulled out the stock sub and i believe he tore the outside ring away from it. I'm not absolutely sure whether or not he put that ring around the new JL sub or not, but give it a try either way to see which works. It's a piece of cake
Old 11-08-09, 07:34 PM
ALeX300
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

did someone actually buy the new ML sub for $280? thats nuts imo. Even the sq10 with any 100-200w amp will beat the ML for its lunch money.

For the mounting the replacement sub - just make some O and D rings outta MDF, if you're crafty with a dremel/drill you can even line the rings up to the original mounting holes.

Also does anyone search the forums these days? i feel like similar threads are up every 2 weeks :/
Old 11-09-09, 11:46 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

A little hot glue fixed my sub. I just took the cover off although I broke 2 of the clips. Im sure it will blow again but Ill fix it the same way.
Old 12-29-09, 01:12 PM
cerumo
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know the size spec for 2nd GS ML center speaker? Thanks.
Old 12-30-09, 04:44 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by cerumo
Does anyone know the size spec for 2nd GS ML center speaker? Thanks.
lol u blow that? lexus wants like 259 for it....i used a diamond d662 tweeter i had and hot glued it into the oem ML mount so it would fit and butt connected it so i could use the oem harness, be careful removing the oem grille as it tends to be brittle and break. luckily it was only like 49 from sewell as when i bought my car mine was broken

here's a pic for you

Old 02-01-10, 05:51 PM
guccijon

does anyone know were i can order the jl 10IB4 i cant seem to find it anywere.
I called my local audio shop and they told me that the jl w1v2 has the same bolt patter and will work? is this true? please help!
Old 02-01-10, 08:17 PM
Iocca
Lead Lap

i ordered a eD 11kv.2 and will be installing it tomorrow. ill let everyone know how it turns out once i get it installed.
Old 02-01-10, 08:31 PM
guccijon

wut amp will you be running?/ will you be needing the IB plate?
Old 02-02-10, 08:12 AM
Iocca
Lead Lap

I was told you can run the ml amp with the 11k, so i will be doing that for the time being. i am going to use a plate as well.
Old 03-02-10, 06:56 PM
biggieTX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iocca
I was told you can run the ml amp with the 11k, so i will be doing that for the time being. i am going to use a plate as well.
Were you able to get it to work?
Old 03-02-10, 06:59 PM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

I want to take out my stock sub, but the third brake light... How do I unplug it. It's like my arm is too short or something lol.

Please don't flame; excuse my ignorance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Speaker Replacement