Sponsored by:

Mark Levinson Speaker Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-10, 06:30 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
I actually have two of these JL Audio 10IB4's that everyone in this thread is looking for lol. I bought them a ways back and never got to using them. when I get around to digging the box out of the basement and installing one, the other will be up for sale here or eBay, wherever I can get more for it.
Let me know, I will take it ASAP!
Old 06-13-10, 01:14 PM
Kubs
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexi4darin
Kubs & Milellie11,

Was the JL sub a direct bolt in? How did you get it installed since the ML sub seems to have a strange mount shape?
I had the guys at Best Buys install it, it's a direct drop in, they drilled holes into the rear deck and screwed it tight to the frame. They used a Tar-like substance in the middle to eliminate any baffle or rattling... It sounds clean and no rattles at all... I was surprised...
Old 06-13-10, 01:28 PM
Kubs
Rookie

Default Hope this helps...

Originally Posted by habeeb89
Let me know, I will take it ASAP!
Call the guys at http://www.woofersetc.com/ they might have a replacement to the older 10" JL. Or ask them for a JL free air sub rated at 8 ohms.

I saw this 12" JL Free Air woofer, and crossed referenced it with another 10" JL woofer and saw one similarity, the term Fs (free-air resonance) I suspect it is a Free air sub.

This might just be an upgrade to the older JL you've been searching for. Here's a link to the actual sub: http://www.woofersetc.com/p5211/10W3...-Subwoofer.htm

Good luck, and btw I would much rather purchase a JL sub in place of OEM Mark Levinson sub, Lexus should be ashamed to have put such a cheaply made Sub into this car,(Granted Mark Levinson is known for it High End sound, they missed the mark (lol) on this one...
Old 06-13-10, 05:20 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ I agree

Habeeb that JL sub is the one to get. Get it on line or check with Mark Sound to see if they can get you a good deal. When you get it I will help install it.
Old 06-13-10, 07:23 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kubs
Call the guys at http://www.woofersetc.com/ they might have a replacement to the older 10" JL. Or ask them for a JL free air sub rated at 8 ohms.

I saw this 12" JL Free Air woofer, and crossed referenced it with another 10" JL woofer and saw one similarity, the term Fs (free-air resonance) I suspect it is a Free air sub.

This might just be an upgrade to the older JL you've been searching for. Here's a link to the actual sub: http://www.woofersetc.com/p5211/10W3...-Subwoofer.htm

Good luck, and btw I would much rather purchase a JL sub in place of OEM Mark Levinson sub, Lexus should be ashamed to have put such a cheaply made Sub into this car,(Granted Mark Levinson is known for it High End sound, they missed the mark (lol) on this one...
Thanks! I'm def. going with the one in the link, it's pathetic how cheap of a sub Lexus put in, I was expecting a lot more since the ML system was such a $$ option on the GS.

Originally Posted by passnu2
^ I agree

Habeeb that JL sub is the one to get. Get it on line or check with Mark Sound to see if they can get you a good deal. When you get it I will help install it.
I think I'm going to call Mark Sound, but after doing some searching online, that JL Audio one is hard to find as well, so I doubt they're going to have it. I'm going to order it tomorrow, were going to have to go thru all the ***** to remove the back seat again
Old 06-13-10, 09:34 PM
Kubs
Rookie

Default Take some pics of the install...

Thanks! I'm def. going with the one in the link, it's pathetic how cheap of a sub Lexus put in, I was expecting a lot more since the ML system was such a $$ option on the GS.

I think I'm going to call Mark Sound, but after doing some searching online, that JL Audio one is hard to find as well, so I doubt they're going to have it. I'm going to order it tomorrow, were going to have to go thru all the ***** to remove the back seat again
Good luck you should be fine, keep us posted, be sure to take pictures...
Old 06-14-10, 01:29 PM
biggieTX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone using anything besides the JL Audio 10IB4? The JL Audio one is near impossible to find since it was discontinued
The replacement for the 10IB4 is the 10W1v2 -8. I put it in my 04 GS430 and it sounds GREAT. It is not very expensive either. I think I paid $110 installed.

Old 06-14-10, 01:34 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by biggieTX
The replacement for the 10IB4 is the 10W1v2 -8.I think I paid $110 installed.
cheaper price....but uninstalled

http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/10w1v2-4.aspx

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622
Old 06-14-10, 01:36 PM
biggieTX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

factory is 8 ohm i believe. Still a good price.

Also mine was installed with the dynamat you see pictured
Old 06-14-10, 11:28 PM
Kubs
Rookie

I agree use the 8 Ohm speaker to be safe in protecting your Factory amp... If you want to save on cost, i didn't use any dynamat and surprisingly no rattles whatsoever (BTW nice install biggieTX)
Old 09-06-10, 08:45 AM
jw11301
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2001 GS300 I bought a year ago and the sub didn't work. How do I tell if the sub is blown or if it is the amp or the sound system itself? Thanks for the input.
Old 09-06-10, 09:27 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jw11301
I have a 2001 GS300 I bought a year ago and the sub didn't work. How do I tell if the sub is blown or if it is the amp or the sound system itself? Thanks for the input.
Well, if just the sub isn't working then most likely it's blown. Are the rest of the speakers working? Any popping noises at all from the sub?
Old 09-10-10, 12:35 AM
Blk04GS430
Driver

Will this Sub my friend wants to sell me work with the factory amp without any problems?

* 10" 8-ohm subwoofer
* injection-molded polypropylene cone
* ribbed foam surround
* suitable for free-air use
* power handling: 50-150 watts RMS
* peak power handling: 300 watts
* frequency response: 30-500 Hz
* sensitivity: 86.2 dB
* top-mount depth: 5"
* sealed box volume: 1.0 - 2.4 cu. ft.
* ported box volume: 1.25 - 1.75 cu. ft.
Old 10-19-10, 11:04 AM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by biggieTX
The replacement for the 10IB4 is the 10W1v2 -8. I put it in my 04 GS430 and it sounds GREAT. It is not very expensive either. I think I paid $110 installed.

Is the 10w1v2 (8-ohm) cool for "free-air" use ? I didn't even know that would work well.. wow.

Did they remove your seats and rear deck and everything for that price?!? Or did you take your car in with the rear seats out and stuff already?

I LOVE your install!!

What about the powering of it? (you're running this JL W1 10" right off your OEM ML amp !? How does it sound... as loud as the stock sub.. or louder?

I worry about running off the OEM amp, b/c if it fails.. It's BIG MONEY- and that amp runs ALL of the speakers in our cars.

I'd love to put an aftermarket 10" that's acceptable for free-air use and run like a 250-watt amp or so on it... I need help.

Anybody know how to do this? Can you 'tap into' the ML's stock wiring to add an aftermarket amp, or what? Not sure how this would be done at ALL.

I DO have a JL Audio Cleansweep though! (not installed yet)
Old 10-20-10, 02:30 AM
4drferio

goood info!!!

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Speaker Replacement