Sponsored by:

No sound when electrical load increases on the car

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-10, 03:12 PM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Mack
PS - landarc, time to clean the car, mang. You have more dust than the cryptkeeper under that hood. It's definitely not the problem, but wow, it's certainly not helping. Plus, when everything is clean you may find additional concerns. Get to wiping!

Big Mack
haha.. I thought the exact same thing just didn't want to say it. A clean engine bay will go a long way!
Old 03-25-12, 08:37 AM
landarc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Greetings. Sorry it took a bit to get back to this thread.

That connection is in no way stock. That terminal is not factory, and looks to be a source of the problem based on your picture. Seen here:

That wire from the alternator is making a very poor connection with the battery. It has an extremely limited surface area from what I can see, and that's not good. Time to get a real terminal, fit it properly, and see what happens. The grounds look good, and no, you do not need to upgrade anything near the windshield wipers.

At this point, you've not done the proper troubleshooting, so no, taking it to them will simply cause more time. What's the update on your battery? You may very well take it in if we cannot source the problem, but you need to correct the positive terminal's connections first and see if that fixes it.

Oh, and you're welcome. I'm sure veleno is trying to help.

Toy4life, upgrading the fuse will not solve his problem and is dangerous advice. You do not simply put in a larger fuse without taking into account what the wires can safely handle. Additionally, if it's not blowing a fuse, why would a larger one help the situation?

Lastly, the fuse type he has is sufficient. Upgrading to an ANL fuse is quite expensive, and certainly not necessary to correct the problem. In other words - it's not the fuses or the type.

PS - landarc, time to clean the car, mang. You have more dust than the cryptkeeper under that hood. It's definitely not the problem, but wow, it's certainly not helping. Plus, when everything is clean you may find additional concerns. Get to wiping!

Big Mack

Hi Big Mack,

Its been a while and I still have not done a thing. Finally the red top dided last night. Had corrosion on the positive terminal. Called CAA and got a boost. Made it home and cleaned the terminal. Nothing. Not even enough to turn over. So need to get a replacement battery, temporary of course. I finally found a very reupatble car audio place that can diagnose the problem and recommend what I need to do. baby steps. I was thinking of getting a Kirkland car battery for the time being. Your thoughts? I am going to get it in a couple of hours so I hope I can get response before then.

Thanks for the feedback. I forgot about this post and did not realize all these responses were here. I should always keep checking.
Old 03-25-12, 11:39 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by landarc
Hi Big Mack,

Its been a while and I still have not done a thing. Finally the red top dided last night. Had corrosion on the positive terminal. Called CAA and got a boost. Made it home and cleaned the terminal. Nothing. Not even enough to turn over. So need to get a replacement battery, temporary of course. I finally found a very reupatble car audio place that can diagnose the problem and recommend what I need to do. baby steps. I was thinking of getting a Kirkland car battery for the time being. Your thoughts? I am going to get it in a couple of hours so I hope I can get response before then.

Thanks for the feedback. I forgot about this post and did not realize all these responses were here. I should always keep checking.
Bummer on the deceased battery, but understandable. If Kirkland is the same as it is here, available at Costco, it's probably made by Exide or Interstate, either of which should be fine. Hard to beat the pricing at Costco, since almost every standard battery that is their brand is less than $ 70.

And yes, you should keep checking. Did you at least clean under the hood? My goodness...

Big Mack